The definitive guide to Barbarians

Strategies and Card File Construction

The definitive guide to Barbarians

Postby Ropey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 pm

As I'm sure you are all aware the set Silver Dawn has heralded a new tribe.

First of all I shall show you the file I managed to cobbler together. So without further ado here's Barbie/Girl.

While the file it's self is no great shakes (At least in my hands) it does feature some nice combos (More on those later) I found that unlike many other tribes buffing was negligible. Until future releases I think they will find themselves as part of other files as the cards seem to have potential (Again more later)

The following is a quick rundown of the new Barbarians.

Toad Shaman Barbarian / Sorcerer

LV 01 HP 20 LP 01 AT 10 DF 00 AGI 03 RNG 03

Close skill Screaming Curse 2sp Rival Iczer gets 2 less SP at the beginning of next turn.

Soul skill Grudge Magic 0sp Engage one disengaged enemy unit. And then, reduce all of Rival's Sphere Levels by 1

This card could be used in a file that squeezes players for SP and may work well with a card like Night Assassin / Marchare. If your opponent won't trigger the close then Combat Ogre / Gandar could do the job. This of course coupled with clever Soul Skills could give you an early advantage.

The Soul Skill may go someway to placidate the traditionalists out there who fear the new wave in multi sphere mayhem. I think it's annoying, but potentially very effective.

Combat Ogre / Gandar Barbarian / Captain

LV 04 HP 60 LP 01 AT 00 DF 00 AGI 03 RNG 01

Open skill Eve of Battle 0sp Set one friendly unit to HP=0.

Start skill Fighting Instinct Overdrive 0sp This unit gets AT=[number of units hit by Eve of Battle X60] for this turn.

Auto skill Fighting Instinct Overload 0sp [conditional use/AT0] This unit gets HP=0.

Action skill Slash 2sp Do [damage: AT] to a random row of enemy units within range.

Soul skill 0sp Send one open or closed unit of LV3 or lower directly to the Cemetery. You get 2 less SP at the beginning of next turn.

This cards open can be comboed with a whole host of Lawtia units that have nasty close skills, and I'm not going to list them here.

It has a good ATT which can be multiplied, but I'm sure I can see no advantage in it's auto. It's just there to stop you negating it's open.

It comes with an all too familiar slash, and average stats. Could come into it's own if facing slow Bigs?

Goblin Soldier Barbarian / Warrior

LV 02 HP 50 LP 01 AT 30 DF 00 AGI 03 RNG 01

Rank up level Sp0

Auto Laziness Sp0 [conditional use/rank up] This unit gets AT=20 and AGI=1.

Soul skill Sp0 Evaporating Flame Engage one disengaged enemy unit. Reduce Rival Iczer's Falkow LV by 2.

Seems to be confusion over this cards rank up. So I will try to make things clear. The card is a great opener. Having good early game stats, and being able to stand up against opening SSs, but it pays the price for all this if your Gowen level goes over 2

Well, if like me you hate those watery return based monkeys this maybe the Soul skill for you. Even if your opponent isn't playing Falkow you still get to engage something.

Goblin Mage Barbarian / Sorcerer

LV 02 HP 40 LP 01 AT 40 DF 00 AGI 04 RNG 03

Rank up Sp0

Start skill Sp0 Wolf Totem [conditional use/Rank up] All friendly [subtype: Barbarians] get AT+10 for this turn and heal +5 HP, except this unit. Then, do [damage: 10] to one unit.

Auto skill Sp0 Laziness [conditional use/rank up] This unit gets AT=20 and AGI=2.

Action skill 1Sp Hedge Magic [conditional use/all sphere levels 2 or higher] Engage two random enemy units in range.

Soul skill Sp0 Magic Infusion All units of LV 2 or lower get MAX HP+10, HP+10, AT+10 and AGI+2.

This unit takes a bit of getting used to. Early on you can make used of his very good action skill that freezes 2 of your opponents cards. Although this requires all your sphere levels to be 2 or above!

When you have to rank up to get stuff on like the fast Firespawn Merman Barbarian you can use him to buff all your other barbs. He could still be useful against slow moving files, but alas AGI is everything these days.

You may wish to consider the soul skill in files like EM, EN or Pixies?

Firespawn Merman Barbarian / Sea Behemoth

LV 03 HP 40 LP 01 AT 40 DF 00 AGI 05 RNG 01

Open skill Sp1 Spit Fire Do [damage: 20] to one enemy unit.

Auto skill Sp0 Pact Between Tribes [conditional use/one or more friendly [subtype: Barbarians] that are not Falkow or Gowen are on the field.] This unit gets AT+10.

Action skill Sp0 Double Attack Do [damage: AT 50%] to two random enemy units within range.

Soul skill Sp0 Time to Hunt All friendly units get AT+20 and are also Focused until the end of this turn.

I love this guy. While the art is not top notch he has got a touch of super villain about him, and the way he is leaping from the water to deliver his gob full of fire, but of course I digress. You don't want to hear about art here in the sanctum. Maybe I will do a bit in the proper place( Be a dam sight more enjoyable that this load of old cobblers!) Sorry there I go again.

He is just a great card. Able to keep up with the speed of the modern game, snowball ATT , well you can see all that. I just wonder if he will find himself in other files? I did try him with Dilate, but lets face it how can you lose with Dilate?

How about that soul? With the increase in focus units who knows what fun you could have. Again Marchare springs to mind, but there are quite a few out there.

Crocodile Knight Barbarian / Knight

LV 03 HP 60 LP 02 AT 30 DF 00 AGI 01 RNG 01

Start skill Sp0 Fierce Instinct [conditional use/Gowen LV1 or higher] This unit gets DF=5 for this turn.

Auto skill Sp0 Pact Between Tribes [conditional use/one or more friendly [subtype: Barbarians] that are not Falkow are on the field.] This unit gets AT+5 and is healed 15 HP.

Action Sp2 Lancer Do [damage: AT] to a column of enemy units within range.

Soul skill 0Sp War of Attrition All units get RNG=1. All units in [area:1-2-3] get DF+10 for this turn.

I got mixed feelings about the old croc. Against a slow file he really comes into his own. With buffing and snowballing he can be quite the hand full, but most of the time he was a fail. Lancer looks good on paper, but any half decent opponent will set their field to negate it, and anyway it's a bit pricey.

What a quirky SS? I,m always on the lookout for good Lp2 SSs. I may well give this a shot. Sure, you will all say "But Ropey! It all depends on the situation you FOOL!" and I will reply " You lot just don't have an ounce of imagination between you!" Then I will go try it anyways and probably prove you right.

Lion Greatsword Wielder Barbarian / Warrior

This card doesn't seem to fit with his fellows, too hard to set up and a rubbish SS, but put him elsewhere and ........?

Well, I've finished my journey into the mists of this new tribe, and they really don't suit my play style. I was unable to even put together a half decent file, but that in no way implies that a barbie file can't be made. I heard that worthing had made a very good file from them, and I hope that he posts it somewhere.

I was happy enough to find cards like firespawn, lion and even Goblin soldier.

Peace out and enjoy em ;)
Last edited by Ropey on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Re: The definitive guide to Barbarians

Postby VertuHonagan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm

I have been really successful with this file. It took me a few times of playing around with the SS and units, but I finally got it to work this way. Hope this helps you Ropey.
Train ninjas and save the world from evil on NinjaManager.com!
VertuHonagan

Postby Ropey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, at first glance I like the underhand tactic of 2 ambushes. Yeah, just my style cheers.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby VertuHonagan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 pm

I have yet to actually use them honestly! Lol. They do work great though when used. The start is rather fun. Especially since no one kills Archer scout anymore and every game i played with her as start she lasted at least 6 turns.
VertuHonagan

Postby Ropey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks for the input Vert. I should probably take the time to create a file that's is cheap to throw together and can at least stand half a chance in the Arena, but fact is Silver Dawn has so much potential I'm off to play with other stuff.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby VertuHonagan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 pm

This file is mostly cheap to throw together and it destroys stuff easily...So far only 1 loss match with them. They work amazingly well together, and definitely a file to play with if you want to enjoy a little different gameplay.
VertuHonagan

Return to Annarose's Sanctum