GOWEN STaRTER DECK vs FOLRaRT GUaRDIan!!

Strategies and Card File Construction

Gowen vs Folrart Guardian

Postby KeyGee » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 am

hey, i am a new lvl 6 gowen player and faced allready a few times refess players with this card https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=306 Folrart Guardian

if they got the card once it's hard but well...its possible to win
but if they got 3...i just dont see what to do against it :/

any tips or suggestions? thx :)

ah btw. is the forum search not working? cause i tried it and it just brings me to board index
KeyGee

Re: Gowen vs Folrart Guardian

Postby ANIMEniac » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:54 am

I think gowen starting out will try to use mercenary as soon as possible. Use his buff attack and in a few turns he will be one shotting the guardian.
ANIMEniac

Postby ktchong » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:01 am

The Gowen starter deck does not have the necessary cards (or enough of them) to defeat a buffed Folrart Guardian. But some Gowen cards do:

• Get a Mercenary. No, get three.

When you face a Refess player, pull out one or two Mercenaries early and level up them with their "The Higher the Fee" skill (costs 1 SP) as much/soon as possible. Mercs have a RNG 2 so they do not have to be in the front row. Every time a Mercenary levels up, he gets AT+20 and DF+5. At Gowen level 5, he gets an additional DF+10.

If you have Heierrat Army, sacrifice the unit with its "Coordinated Ambush" skill to give AT+10 and DF+10 to a Mercenary.

Once you've leveled up a Mercenary a few times and used a Heierrat Army on him, when he builds up enough AT and DF to withstand and massacre Folrart Guardian, move him up to the front row.

If you have a Soul Card that increases units' DF, you can use that to increase the Mercenary's DF and shorten his wait time.

You want to watch out for Folrart Knight Captain, which can use "Shield Breaker" to set a Mercenary's DF=0. Use a Grimoire or unit that can target to get rid of the Folrart Knight Captain ASAP, and then use your Mercenary to get rid of Folrart Guardians.

You can get both Mercenary and Heierrat Army from the [url]Gowen EX pack[/url]. I got mine -- only one pair -- from Level Up Rewards, so I have to be very careful in using them. After pwning three fully-loaded Folrart Guardian with just one Mercenary, I'm planning to get two more from EX pack.

• Get two more Fire Arrow in addition to the one provided in the Gowen Starter. Boost your Gowen level to 10 or over so the Fire Arrow can bypass a Folrart Guardian's DF and kill him without triggering her retaliation.

Generally, it is a good idea to have three Fire Arrows in your deck to take out whatever "super unit/character" your opponent might have. Each Fire Arrow uses only 3 SP so you can use them quickly when needed. I find the Fire Arrow to be an very cheap card to counter your opponent's "Big" unit/character card that is more expensive and limited in number. i.e., using a 3-SP Fire Arrow to remove a 4-SP Folrart Guardian (plus the additional SP to buff her) is totally worth it. If you use three 3-SP cards to get rid of three 4- or more-SP cards, you are already way ahead in the SP game.

In addition to three Fire Arrows, you want to load up two or three more Grimoire to counter cards that remove cards directly from your Card File, (like Lost Tome that removes a Grimoire directly from your Card File.) If you have three Fire Arrows plus another two or three Grimoire in your Card List, your opponent will not be able to remove all your Fire Arrows.

• Bounty Hunter / Elena has a "Bounty Hunt" skill that can immediately set level-4 Folrart Guardian's HP=0. But Elena is a rare ***** card.

• Flame Emperor / Allind, another ***** card, can subtract 50 directly from HP of all enemies (including Folrart Guardians) when he opens and at every turn (costs 3 SP), and he has enough HP to withstand Folrart Guardians' retaliation.

However, he is an expensive card (9 SP) to use on Folrart Guardians. If you do not have any buffer between the Flame Emperor and a fully-buffed Folrart Guardian, it will most likely turn out to be one-on-one elimination between the two. So, if you use him, you will have to constantly supply sacrificial units to the front row. The good part is he will take out Folrart Guardians plus all other units in the first two enemy's front rows.

Elena and Allind are less practical solutions because they are rare cards, but if you happen to have one, use it.
Last edited by ktchong on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
ktchong

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:02 am

It's monk of single strike and mercenary that upgrade the gowen starter to be able to beat guardian, and sure some extra fire arrows won't hurt.
Peralisc2

Postby ktchong » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:55 am

Peralisc2 wrote:It's monk of single strike and mercenary that upgrade the gowen starter to be able to beat guardian, and sure some extra fire arrows won't hurt.

I don't have a Monk of Single Strike. However, even if he sets a Folrart Guardian's AT=0, the Guardian's DF retaliation will still hurts.
ktchong

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:01 am

He dosn't set guardian to 0 AT, he kills guardian and then loses his attack.
Peralisc2

Postby ktchong » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 am

Peralisc2 wrote:He dosn't set guardian to 0 AT, he kills guardian and then loses his attack.

Wouldn't a Folrart Guardian's buffed DF stop a Monk of Single Strike's AT x 2? Most Refess player heavily buff their Folrart Guardians with AT and (especially) DF bonuses.

A Folrart Guardian, especially a buffed one, can survive the Monk's AT x 2 = 60 to 80 damages. However, most Guardians can't survive/kill a Mercenary that has leveled/ranked-up, 100+ AT and 40+ DF, (especially if you use the few turns to level/rank/beff up a Mercenary when your Refess opponent is taking turns and showing signs that he is preparing to pull out his Folrart Guardian.)

I'm also looking for other ways for Gowen to counter a buffed Folrart Guardian. Right now, a leveled/ranked-up Mercenary is really the realistic only way to counter a buffed Folrart Guardian, and a Mercenary is powerful and useful in most situations. I need three of them! :D
Last edited by ktchong on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
ktchong

Postby Zanador » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 am

Along with Mercenary, a dryad or two might be a good idea too. Its a good one time buff to merc's def (starting off from 20 def will make his survival much easier) while the dryad itself can be used as a front row sacrifice to trigger a sphereX20 SS.

So yeah, the general answer is Mercenary. Gowen has quite many cards that are able to beat Guardian by both surviving to it and dealing enough damage to kill it in 1-2 shots, but for most of those you need a buff and some rankup (brave soldier, knight apprentice, or hell, even a well fed samurai girl with a single meat shield in front of her can take care of guardian) but they are all a bit more troublesome and will still trigger a few counter hits.

Naturally direct removal SS are great too, like assassin, salamander soldier or certain return SS'.
Zanador

Postby ktchong » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:02 am

What is "SS"?
ktchong

Re: GOWEN STaRTER DECK vs FOLRaRT GUaRDIan!!

Postby DWildstar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:07 am

SS means "Soul Skill" Also Bear-killing axeman can take out Folrart Guardian the first turn that she's out. After that you'd need to buff his attack if they're going to be buffing her Defense.

Merging this topic with a preview Gowen vs Folrart Guardian thread.
DWildstar

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum