How does Gowen Survive?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: How does Gowen Survive?

Postby gamma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 am

If you're talking about the dragonrider opener (return disengaged lv 2 unit), any faction can run that card for pretty nice effect against Gowen (in fact, nice effect against everyone who isn't a mirror matchup). I just got absolutely creamed when using it against someone who knew it was coming though.

In fact, dragonrider seems to be another card with balance problems. It has a lot of similarities to return, except that it costs LP instead of sp but grants such strong board control that the opponent often never recovers.

As for timing, I agree that Gowen has difficulty slowing down, but it isn't like you don't know what is about to happen when the Lawtia player preps his zombie lord/animated dead. Magic weapon, fire arrow, fire tornado, and salamander are all starter cards that can throw off timing calculations. Admittedly, I haven't played much Gowen so this is all from the perspective of a Lawtia player (who agrees that Killing Machine needs to be changed).

My experience is that Lawtia never has a chance to set up mad priest or assassin because brave soldier and combat monk can each kill my level 3 tanks in one turn. Either I raise the tanks and don't play mad priest or I play mad priest and watch it die to a ranked up combat monk.
gamma

Postby Eeyore » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 am

In response to Gamma-

Some of what you say I agree with. And other parts of what you said such as your timing with Animate Dead obviously are dependant upon yours and your opponents skill levels. So that point is wishy washy.

Dang I just DC'd in a match with Lawtia as I'm posting. Anyways I completely agree with you on your point of card selection early on. I don't remember seeing a Dispel or Return card when I was leveling up with Gowen. I can't say that I would've selected it even if I did though at the time hahaha! I would jump all over it now! I don't think Flesh Recycler would help defeat Animate Dead since it doesn't send the card to cemetary. Gowen does have ways of making enemy units HP = 0. Those don't help in this case. When you referred to players having Return or Dispel as Gowen players I would guess most of them acquired those cards through Booster Packs. This is an assumption and may be incorrect.

I feel like I'm coaching the enemy to further make life troubling for Gowen but like Reydian said it should be simple to gauge when your front line will collapse (or when you let it on purpose) so that your SC's activate. The easiest way I can think of is not to play Animate Dead in the front row where he will take damage and force you to spend SP on reving him. What you should do is play him in the back or middle row behind a front line of Moonlight Warrior and the Regenerating Knight and let them take the abuse. They are not the cards that are going to win you the match against Gowen. They are the cards that are going to let you control the tempo of the match. If you use Shade and the card Reydian mentioned Mad Priest well you'll rarely lose to a Gowen starter deck.

To Reydian-

Yes I probably am exploiting more the weaknesses of Gowen against Lawtia to the masses. I'm hoping this case gets a little attention by the GM's and is rectified. I'm glad at least someone acknowledges the futility of it all finally.

;a40
Last edited by Eeyore on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eeyore

Postby Eeyore » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:32 am

Gamma-

Shhhh! Keep that card on the down-low. It is another card that ;a40 has no answer for unless we know your tactics beforehand.

My suggestion to you against Gowen in particular is that night time is your friend. Use it to your advantage. When night comes around you should be clearing the board with that low level ranged girl who only comes out at night.
Eeyore

Postby gamma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 am

The struggle between Lawtia and Gowen is whether or not Lawtia can get a safe place for its ranged units (Lilith, Mad Priest) before Gowen obliterates them with superior board control. Obviously that struggle has been turning out differently for the two of us. Flesh Recycle is useful becuase it actually reduces maximum hp by 20, so the animated dead regenerates and then dies.

I actually wonder if there is any interest in continuing level ups as they were for levels 1-9. Now that I reached level 20, there just doesn't seem to be much point. My level 15 card was dominating and my level 20 card was worthless. I'd rather be getting a wider selection of level 1 cards to try out new strategies than hoping to get a super rare card at level 30 (man by level 50 I could have 3 copies of Ruler of Crest and he would actually be playable).

The top three players are Falkow-Gowen-Lawtia so clearly everyone (except Refess) has some solutions. I've been fortunate in finding a few really key cards that have helped me out. Really, it's tough to tell without inside information how the general server is doing. I will say that I've seen a lot more Lawtia recently after seeing maybe 50-75% Gowen for several days and Falkow is not quite rare. Refess is almost non-existant. Maybe 1 in 10 or 15 matches is a Refess and I have never seen a highly ranked Refess player. Before Gowen or Lawtia gets balanced, I think Refess needs help.
gamma

Postby Eeyore » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 am

Well I've come up with a couple cheap ways to slow down Killing Machine through Soul Cards.

One I've found is to use Undine around your 2nd and 4th SC's. That way you spread them out a bit. You definitely want to have one late. And one early doesn't hurt either so as a Falkow player you don't have to burn your Return card early on. I'm pretty sure most players can get there hands on Undine too so she is a easy solution. Only problem with her is that she is a pure defensive Soul Card and might not help you in every situation.

Undine gives -20 HP -20 ATT & -1 Agility to one opponent target of your choosing. So Undine effectively lets you turn those pesky Lawtia 30 damage cards into 10 damage cards and you can then focus on dismantling the cards around it. The only problem is that card is now a nice tank for Lawtia's Mad Priest and Druid while they pull out bigger stuff.

;a40
Eeyore

Postby Eeyore » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 am

Btw I've played a couple of nasty Refess decks/players. They are the most technical to play. You have to understand how to mesh their cards together to create a cast of cards that all support the same cause.

Most don't understand their concepts because they aren't talked about nearly as much on the forums. I myself learn from experiences. In this game that usually means when I get owned by my opponent in some way, whether they pull off some nasty card combo that I haven't seen before or by an all-around solid deck build that I hadn't thought of before.

Until players see for themselves how well Refess can be used they won't come up with the HOW TO on their own. Watch how your good opponents play and you'll notice that Refess isn't so bad after all. I would say they take the most work to perfect currently.

Gowen could be on a comeback if I can get some Undine's!!!!!

;a40
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Annarose's Sanctum