Shade & Will o' the Wisp

Strategies and Card File Construction

Shade & Will o' the Wisp

Postby Grain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm not complaining, but there's something interesting I'd like to share.

In the Japanese game, Shade depletes 2 SP while Will o' the Wisp adds 2.

I suppose it makes sense for Will o' the Wisp to have been changed, since Shade's effect can be negated.

The other 4 Great Spirit cards have counterparts (although Dryad seems somwhat more useful than Salamander).
Grain

Re: Shade & Will o' the Wisp

Postby TsunaYoshi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:22 pm

which that mean alteil.com.jp and alteil.com have different in card description. or one of them is wrong description?
Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto - Arena.com
TsunaYoshi

Postby Grain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Both descriptions are correct.

The Japanese Alteil team wanted to change the effect of Will o' the Wisp.
Last edited by Grain on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grain

Postby reydien » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm

More accurately, a team of Japanese players (or developers, not sure) tested the starter set and felt that Will o' Wisp's +2 SP open ability was unbalanced for the cost. Originally (during the A-Kon preview) all of the starter decks had 3 copies of Will o' Wisp in them, and in the one game I was able to play all the way through I backlashed all three at the beginning. That was the Gowen starter, btw.
Last edited by reydien on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Grain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks Reydien, I've editd my post.
Grain

Postby DWildstar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:28 pm

I played the Japanese Alteil for a few weeks before launch of the US Alteil and when I heard that Will O' the Wisp's +2 SP ability was being removed I was really worried because getting SP is constantly a concern. Having played it without them for the first week of launch I'm glad that they got rid of it.

When you know everyone has Will O' the Wisp it's a hassle because to keep up you have to use them at some point, and there're constant backlashes happening. But if no one has to use them then there's more room in the deck for more interesting cards and it makes the game somewhat less predictable.
DWildstar

Postby BcDed » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:18 am

It's useful as is but I think it would have been a nice inclusion as a +1 sp bonus. With that as the benefit it would only give a bonus to sp if it died and wasn't revived. Even then the first casting would only pay for itself in off color decks but still cost an lp. The only benefit would be if they played multiple which would give them a 1 sp bonus the second time they played it but would have already costed them 2 lp. This would make it a far more unlikely inclusion in any deck that doesn't already have refess.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
BcDed

Postby Phades » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:42 pm

BcDed wrote:It's useful as is but I think it would have been a nice inclusion as a +1 sp bonus. With that as the benefit it would only give a bonus to sp if it died and wasn't revived. Even then the first casting would only pay for itself in off color decks but still cost an lp. The only benefit would be if they played multiple which would give them a 1 sp bonus the second time they played it but would have already costed them 2 lp. This would make it a far more unlikely inclusion in any deck that doesn't already have refess.

That might help, because the current activation trait of that card is basically useless. Combined with the soul trait and LP, there isn't much reason to run this card. I would rather see + sp traits on opening with cards like the Blessed acolyte or Folrart paladin instead of the action based defensive bonus which ends up being useless most of the time and are easily overpowered by equal or lower ranked cards and card combinations.
Phades

Postby reydien » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Wait, you want two of Refess' best tanks (not to mention decent hitters, too) to reward you when you play them?
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm

reydien wrote:Wait, you want two of Refess' best tanks (not to mention decent hitters, too) to reward you when you play them?

2 AGI + 25 ATK = decent hitter?
Grain

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum