Refess's Answer to Gowen Combo?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Refess's Answer to Gowen Combo?

Postby Grain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 pm

A person played a [card=59]Brave Soldier[/card] + [card=56]Panther Soul[/card] combo on me and I couldn't get past it.

After two soul skills worth of damage, it was revived and given a second Panther Soul.

That's a level 2 card with:

50 HP, 60 ATK, 4 AGI on the first turn of battle.

Suggestions?
Grain

Re: Refess's Answer to Gowen Combo?

Postby reydien » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Drop a Blessed Acolyte into the second row. Soldier goes, clears your front unit, then your Acolyte is free to hit the soldier. Repeat once, Soldier's dead. Granted, your front-row unit will have died 3 times by then (on turns 2, 3, and 4), so you're still behind, but it's a solution.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Phades » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 am

reydien wrote:Drop a Blessed Acolyte into the second row. Soldier goes, clears your front unit, then your Acolyte is free to hit the soldier. Repeat once, Soldier's dead. Granted, your front-row unit will have died 3 times by then (on turns 2, 3, and 4), so you're still behind, but it's a solution.

Yeah, but that is only one card that you spent 3 deaths to get rid of, while your opponent could easily drop down a monk or another card to support it further making it an impossible uphill struggle to recover from due to the abysmal attack ability refress has and the retarded combination of low agl defensive units with turn based bonus defense traits. Unless there is some universal (effects all units) and global -agl solution within the refress starter deck, this will continue to be problematic throughout the progression of the game.
Phades

Postby reydien » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 am

solution #2: obtain a copy of panther soul, put it in your card file, and when they play Brave Soldier Turn 1, you play Panther soul on turn 2. Backlash occurs, and they have a 30 hp, 20 atk, 2 agi unit on the field.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am

reydien wrote:solution #2: obtain a copy of panther soul, put it in your card file, and when they play Brave Soldier Turn 1, you play Panther soul on turn 2. Backlash occurs, and they have a 30 hp, 20 atk, 2 agi unit on the field.

That doesn't sound very practical, in fact, in sounds like a Refess having to go out of their way to scavange a specific non-yellow 3 star card to counter a single combo. I'd also have to give up a slot in my 25 card deck .

Have any Lawtia or Falkow Iczers gotten past the Brave Soldier-Panther Soul combo?
Grain

Postby Eeyore » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 am

Grain this is Eeyore and Guna. I switched decks to Falkow because I couldn't beat Killing Machine w/Gowen mono-deck.

I am one of those who used the Panther Soul/Brave Soldier combination. If you would like to know how to stop it with Falkow I will tell you. It is quite easy and involves an opening card. That's all I will say publicly because as of now I think Gowen isn't near the top of the clan rankings in the competitive format after level 9. If they were the bully I would tell all.

As it is, this combo is one of Gowens only creative things to do since they lack the Gebrauilt cards that the other clans have to get tricky. Gowen's are for the most part straight forward damge dealers.

PM me and I will tell you the easy-bake-oven solution. PM Guna. Lawtia actually has the same combo that I'm thinking of to pull it off but you need a hybrid deck to make it a sure thing. PM me.

;a40
Eeyore

Postby Chachamaru » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:19 am

I used the return card, he was way overpowerd in the beginning and this was the easiest way to get rid of it.

Other way is to give agi with the Sylph to the Magic Scythe Soldier so he can pinpoint it down, even if there is an other card on the field. Ofcourse he will die a few times because you will need to do 2 hits on it. And don't revive the Sylph, you play it again for the 5 agi. Since this methode is gonna cost a lp, return is cheaper and faster.

That's a way to counter the Brave Soldier-Panther Soul combo for Falkow.

;a38
Chachamaru

Postby Eeyore » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 am

You don't need to waste your Return card on Brave Soldier especially when he can be buffed again by another Panther Soul when he returns.

Look at the card list for Falkow and you'll find an easier solution.
;a40
Eeyore

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 am

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm the only one with this problem.

The next time you destroy a Brave Soldier, do it for me.
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:38 am

As some one whose been running a top Refess deck since closed beta I can honestly say this combo is a serious kick in the teeth to Refess, and even looking over the available refess cards I don't have, there really aren't too many options available to them to get out of it. Refess relies on stacking the front line with hp meat shields to do pretty much anything else and for 3sp this combo devastates that key aspect of theirs. You can get around it to be sure, but as Grain pointed out, in doing so you still tend to come out much worser for the wear and thus are forced to play catch up the rest of the way.

One thing you might consider is to splash an invisible druid. For 4 sp (and 2 on any additional uses) he'll do a quick 50 damage to the brave soldier before it gets to take an action. Not a perfect counter but at least it won't destroy your card file and the druid is flexible enough that it might prove useful in other situations as well, especially for Refess who lacks good targeted damage.

Other then that, as stated, you basically just need to play lots of ranged when brave soldier hits the table and if the combo still comes out and is dominating you don't be afraid to let one of your damage dealing soul skills go off earlier then you normally do to help quicken Brave Soldiers demise.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum