Refess Strategies?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Refess Strategies?

Postby Phades » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:Cheap Units (1-2):

Blessed Acolyte is ok for the early game but in the late game he typically gets killed before ever making an action. Kessaran Passeran are ok, tricky to use but useful in the right situation. After that they don't have many 2 or 1 star options and the options they do have are terrible. Shield Knight has 0 attack, mediocre hp (same as Blessed Acolyte), ridiculously slow speed even for refess (not that it matters much when you have 0 attack) and no range (again doesn't matter). All this for 10 defense? He doesn't do much in the early game and does even less in late game. Will-o-Wisps effect doesn't help much and his stats don't let him fight at all. Combat priest WOULD have been useful if he he had some range but as a 1range unit he's either getting slaughtered on the front line or proving nothing more then a liability in your back row. Cassoway king isn't terrible but he's situational and easily dealt with by most clans where the situation he'd be useful is likely to occur. I don't have Verlaat or Abel so its hard to judge them, Verlaat seems bleh, Abel seems decent, but both are nearly impossible to acquire anyway.

The more i think about it, the more i am inclined to use another clan's level 1-2 units. Use the first turn to build up the sphere levels in both refress and the other (Refress 3, other 2), then bring out a higher agl level 2 unit and act like the game started for me on turn 2 instead. I keep arguing with myself that it would be too slow of a start though.

For example, i already use gowen for magic weapons. I was thinking about trading out the blessed acolyte for combat monk and the puff balls for archer scouts. First unit played probably being combat monk, with a 1sp atk soul skill to clear out any units attacking my LP directly. If i needed higher AGL to do good damage, bump the gowen level to 4. If i needed more SP bring out the archer scout. If i needed more raw atk power first, just drop magic weapon to keep the opposition flipped. Then there is always the option to drop dryad to absorb hits. Assuming a stable turn 3-4, shift back over to the higher level refess units in the level 3~6 range to fill in the gaps.

Currently there is no real work around to make refress tough enough to take the hits and keep units on the field. Only through losing cards can bonus agl modifiers be made by using soul skills and song maiden. But, atk power can be boosted through many means. I keep trying to juggle the the 3 and find some kind of harmony, but i just can't seem to make it work properly or smoothly like other deck types.
Phades

Postby Mirko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:42 am

Refess isn't THAT bad guys, well at least in the Crest Arena I dont know about the lvl 9+ arena. I'm currently lvl 5 and doing really well (19-1) with nothing but the Refess starter.

Refess is really big on SP and you want to get your lvl 3 cards out asap. Refess basically runs on lvl 3 cards and success in the later stages on the game is dependent on how well you were able to control your opponent with your lvl 3 cards. One way to get your lvl 3's out sooner is to use suicide your 1st LP away and activate the +2 SP soul card which you should keep as your first SS. To do this I always keep 1 Kesaran Pasaran in my deck and summon it as my 2nd creature in the front row along with my Blessed Aco. If the Kesaran Pasaran dies then i get 1SP+2SP and if it dosent then I can use blessing invocation either way its win/win.

Also does anyone find that treasure battles are linked to win streak?
When I just started I never seemed to get them but they seem ALOT more frequent now that I'm on a 17 win streak or am I just lucky?
Mirko

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am

Unfortunately (well more fortunately for you then it was for me) your going through that pleasant early game time when the game is a lot more skill based. During my levels 1-9 I went completely undefeated with a Refess starter, and yes like your seeing because I had a 30 some game win streak I was getting treasure battles almost every battle after I pushed the win streak past 10. The problem came in the after time, the game launched, all the cards I won in those early game treasure battles were wiped away with the server wipe, and as people bought or started acquiring more powerful cards for their clans I found the starter just couldn't keep up like it used to. A starter refess has almost no chance against decks running 2-3 Killing Machine Labeau in their soul cards, and even an upgraded refess still has almost no chance against gowen with brave soldiers and panther soul. Lawtia and Falkow also have several devastating tricks that can send refess reeling and leave you forced to play catch up.

Again, don't get me wrong, I still play refess and I still win with refess but I often find now that in a match of equal skill I'm the one who comes out on the bottom, I really have to outplay my opponent to have a chance and even then certain match ups (such as the brave soldier/panther soul one) refess really doesn't have a good answer for.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Yurie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Look guys, I like to complain as much as the next person, but I would really like to see some at least semi-viable strategies for Refess, aside from "Start Over And Get A New Deck". Could we please have some strategies? Ideas? Something other than gripes?

;a41
Alpha #453 ;a41
Yurie

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Yurie wrote:Look guys, I like to complain as much as the next person, but I would really like to see some at least semi-viable strategies for Refess, aside from "Start Over And Get A New Deck". Could we please have some strategies? Ideas? Something other than gripes?

;a41

I don't mean to be mean, but you haven't posted a single strategy or idea yourself. If this is meant to be a strategy thread the topic poster should at least provide some of theirs. If this is meant to be a "all my strategies aren't working, please help" thread then it would help if we knew what strategies your trying that aren't working as well as what cards you have access to in order to better assist you.

One strategy Logress has mentioned the Japanese players suggested to him is the "throw the beginning game to generate obscene amounts of sp, get out a Phoenix, buff its defense and hp to heck and back, sit on your sp and wait for your opponent to give up" strategy. He said 75% of the time it just results in nothing happening until all the turns are used and you both get a draw, some times your opponent will find away around it, but some times your opponent will become so bored that he will actually give up giving you the win just to make the game end and not have to sit there for 45 more minutes just to get a draw.

This strategy falls to units that hit LP directly or send units directly to the cemetery (such as the assassin soul card) but these cards aren't featured in every deck so alot of the time you'll have yourself a looooong boring draw or possibly even a win.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:09 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:One strategy Logress has mentioned the Japanese players suggested to him is the "throw the beginning game to generate obscene amounts of sp, get out a Phoenix, buff its defense and hp to heck and back, sit on your sp and wait for your opponent to give up" strategy. He said 75% of the time it just results in nothing happening until all the turns are used and you both get a draw, some times your opponent will find away around it, but some times your opponent will become so bored that he will actually give up giving you the win just to make the game end and not have to sit there for 45 more minutes just to get a draw.

I tried that and it didn't work out well.

The enemy always buffed up their units to ridiculous attack levels, and I ran out of SP. :lol:

Maybe I just don't have enough buffing cards? It's probably easier when Raise shield only costs 2 sp and adds more than just defense.

I don't think I've lasted longer than 12 turns.
Grain

Postby EvilGenius » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:30 pm

That's not a strategy, that's "let's be the most annoying we can be in hopes it will force my opponent to get frustrated and quit."

I don't want to be that Empire. Refess has ways of winning, but most of the time it comes down to luck, rather than skill.

I'll share one strategy in hopes someone will find it useful: Turn 1, spend all your sp, put 3 into Refess level, and play a level 2 unit like Blessed Acolyte. Most of Refess's units are level 3 anyway, and this prevents Shade from taking a shot at your SP. Turn 2 depends on what your opponent does. If it's Lawtia, play a Cassowary King in the back row to stop his ranged units. If it's Falkow, stall for SP with a Will o the Wisp. If it's Gowen, Give up. :mrgreen: (just kidding, I usually play Cassowary King, for its agility...)
EvilGenius

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 pm

EvilGenius wrote:That's not a strategy, that's "let's be the most annoying we can be in hopes it will force my opponent to get frustrated and quit."

I never expected to win. I wanted to try something fresh, and my opponents appreciated the free victory.
Grain

Postby Snikkerz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm

I keep the two starter combat monks as my first two soul cards in the hopes that I can bust their front line defense before they can break mine.
I either play blessed acolyte first or folrart shield knight, I like playing folrart shield knight more than the blessed acolyte. After that I play a kessaran pasaran, third turn I either skip, play a boy combat priest (not usually) or a cassowary king if I think they will be getting ranged units right away, basically it's all about getting that one extra SP per turn from the kessaran pasaran (the fluffly little guys) and playing a level three unit every turn along with raise shield. After you've played a second unit in the front row (probably ruby carbunkle) you might want to think about getting a light spear woman out, she can bust up units real good. Consider placing a combat boy priest or if you think you can time it, a brutal inquisitor somewhere in your soul cards, probably second or third. The two sorcerer guards that come with the starter can also be very helpful, and I at least tend to have enough points to play them to help out the front line.
Hopefully this helps some people out, it worked pretty good for me.
Snikkerz

Postby Porky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Refess lacks any decent strategies through grimoires/creatures.

Your strategy could be have a solid front line and then have amazon spear woman and other stuff at the back.
Refess most importantly i believe lacks control.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum