Return Files

Strategies and Card File Construction

Return Files

Postby Grain » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Files edited for maximum return ability.

Are they the best files?
Grain

Re: Return Files

Postby DWildstar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Since this is more of a strategy topic I'm moving this to Annarose's Sanctum.
DWildstar

Postby EvilGenius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:32 pm

I guess Falkow is the FotM. I wonder when it will be Refess's turn. :twisted:
EvilGenius

Postby Porky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:19 pm

I play a return style, you're weak to lawtia, with their shades and soulbinds you're not always able to get the bounce off.

But its a very dominating playstyle, so much control!=)
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:58 pm

I have no idea-I haven't played against one as Falkow or Refess. I'm sure they're highly annoying, but I'd imagine the strain on their sp might put them at a disadvantage because they're spending it all to return your units. I imagine that this strategy would contain several lvl 2 units so that they could put something on the field to take out whatever they can't return.

Although me talking like I know something about returner decks is laughable in itself. I'm sure it's highly annoying for the one being on the receiving end of the returns.
Romdeau

Postby Grain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:20 am

Proxy wrote:I have no idea-I haven't played against one as Falkow or Refess. I'm sure they're highly annoying, but I'd imagine the strain on their sp might put them at a disadvantage because they're spending it all to return your units.

Not really.
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:54 am

Grain wrote:Not really.

You mean they're not that all annoying or there isn't that much of a strain on sp?

Edit: I figured out how you got so many posts Grain! You just reply to most topics with two words! :mrgreen:
Romdeau

Postby slashzero » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:55 am

In my opinion, Return files have a bit too many weaknesses. Early on in the game, the famous witch opening can be counted by just about all spheres: Lawtia has Shades and Flesh Recycle, Gowen has Salamanders and other direct damage cards, Refess has a profuse amount of good level 3 cards that will just eat through your lines (although they are the most susceptible), and other Falkow decks have all their bases covered, since they can just counter your second turn Sylph/Undine with their own Sylph/Undine.

Later on in the game, SP management and the facts that Expert Sorcerer also has 1 agi and horrid hp are also limit a Return deck's options. He's sure to get fried on the spot by Lawtia or Gowen decks, and Falkow's Magic Scythe Soldier and Swan Cavalier specialize in taking down rear units. Refess has quite a few good long-range cards as well, or they can pull out Cassowary King to render return useless.

Mystere is probably the most resilient of the three, seeing as she can return any unit, given you have a Sylph or Undine to play. She also has decent hp and agi so she's not dead weight if you don't want to return cards. However she is limited by the need to use an agi altering effect (which will cost you 1 sp, unless you have song sorceress out and the enemy unit is already engaged), plus another 2 sp for the return. This is not any more than Expert Sorcerer's cost but it prevents you from playing another unit card that you might also need.

So to make Return files really work well, you'll need sp generation that Falkow can't get from its units, and will take the place of what could be deadly soul cards. Otherwise your opponent will likely see what's coming as soon as you lay down that Witch first turn and then keep the pressure up all game, to stop you from controlling their field. (That's what I do, anyways.)
slashzero

Postby teasel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:55 pm

i have tried using salamander to burn the witch (ararar... ok that wasn't fun) and the end result isn't that pretty... you need to play 2 of those fella to shut the witch down for a single turn and after you do it,congratulation! you now have a board full of 10 HP/1 Agi creature! not a great way to start :/
i have also tried to play the wyvern since he would blow up the witch and then his fattiness would make it hard to bounce but it just get blowed up by SS :/
teasel

Postby Romdeau » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Is it common for people to put their first SS as a single shot x20 blah blah? I guess if your strategy is typically to put out a sacrificial lvl 1 (shade) or something like that I suppose it's in your best interest because now you have to play catchup with your opponent in terms of units.
Romdeau

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum