Rougeerst and Gowen, a match made in heaven

Strategies and Card File Construction

Rougeerst and Gowen, a match made in heaven

Postby DocWatson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 am

So, by now we've all seen 'em, the new angels and EX cards that've been released for the low low price of 400 gran. What do these cards mean for the meta? Well for one thing they're the first introduction of cards that don't come distributed randomly (and aren't in the starter), aside from that they've each got abilities that can be used to devastating effect by a well playing Iczer. I know, I know, enough jabbering and let's have a look at those cards!

I wanna start off with the angel I'm most excited about and think will see the most play floating about in the arenas. That card is Fire and Gaia, Rougeerst. Just a casual glance at the card can make any player's mouth water, the little thing's chock full of abilities! But before we get through those let's take a look at her stats, at level 2 her attack leaves something to be desired with a value of 10, and her AGI of 2 probably won't win her many races on the battlefield. Her RNG of 3 however, means she'll be quite happy plucking arrows into the enemy from behind the front lines and I'm quite happy to let her. Where this card really gets me, however, is her amazing stock of abilities.

On the top we've got the standard Gowen "Rank Up" formalities (it's inspiring to see that even heavenly angels can better themselves I suppose) which give her a decent attack for her level and 2 more AGI, a better punch and a quicker draw, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Her Soul Skill is enough to, well, make any Gowen player drool and make everyone else pass out: All friendly units get [LV+2/AT+20]/[fully recover HP]/[Rankup]. Feel free to read it again if you don't believe me, I swear I copied and pasted that line just to make sure I got the effect right. This Soul Skill is the ultimate in vindictive "Ha!" moves, you kill my unit and now all of my guys are bigger, badder, and fully healed not to mention whatever new abilities they get from the rankup! Falkow players watch your strategies around that first bit, as raising all the levels of your opponent's units will severely hamper what you can bounce about on the battlefield.

I can't believe how big this section is and I haven't even taken a look at her active abilities yet, so going down the list first we have Gaia Blinks. This is a standard enemy engage ability that we've seen used by Annarose to really seal the deal on a winning game. One of the main weaknesses most Gowan units have is their lack of a DF stat, well, why even bother when you can just stop the opponent's big bad from even raising a fist to strike you? Next we have her Gleam of Pure Flame ability which when she ranks up (I'll admit I haven't played enough Gowen to know if that conditional only happens when she ranks up, or if it happens every turn after she ranks up. All you Gowen folks out there feel free to leave an answer to that question!) deals 50% HP damage to an enemy of your choosing. If you read my last post about the current popular card files then you know how much I love pinpoint removal, and while this won't kill an enemy unit outright it'll certainly help against those high HP units.

And now for her final ability, the one I'm sure will get those Gowen players scrambling to the cashier's office, her Open ability gives all friendly units a Rank up! That's right people for the small cost of 2 SP, you not only get a boardwide Panther Soul effect but you also get a unit to boot! So now, instead of buying booster pack after booster pack hoping for the 3 star rare that is the Panther Soul, you can just buy one of the Gowen EX packs and get one guaranteed. Wow, I can actually hear all your cheers from where I'm typing (and the synchronized gnashing of teeth from all you non-Gowen folks).

Now let's take a look at the EX card that comes with her, The Red Mantle, DeFau. Well in this "more powerful" version he oddly enough gets a de-levelling, which means 10 fewer HP and attack. Looks like being younger doesn't affect his DF, AGI, or RNG though as those values all stay the same. While the old Red Mantle was an interesting little thorn in the side of Lawtia players, this new one looks to be aiming to make some new enemies in the factions of Refess and Falkow. Now, rather than draining away your SP, DeFau can steal the DF of an enemy unit and then add that value to a friendly unit's attack. Hey Insult, have you met my friend Injury? How many times have you folks out there been stunted from attacking for several turns due to one over armored unit planting himself on the front lines? Well here's your answer! Not to mention those folks out there who were particular fans of LeBeau's SS may need to start relying on other tactics, or at the very least feel slightly less easy about their tanks (which is something folks have been screaming at on the boards for a while now, seriously how many of you development guys got a laugh reading those things knowing this guy was coming out? ;) ). Is he worth playing chiefly for that effect? Only time will tell, but I definitely think we'll see him around the arena a little bit for these first few weeks following his release as people experiment with him more and more.

So there you have it, originally I'd planned on posting about all the angels at once but I think I may have got a little carried away with Rougeerst. There's just so much to say about that one wonderful card, and I truly think that we're gonna see more of her than any other angel in the arena if only because she's the poor man's Panther Soul and I, for one, am truly excited to play her.
DocWatson

Re: Rougeerst and Gowen, a match made in heaven

Postby Tenkai » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 am

The open skill of the Gowen Angel is just a rank up, it won't give +10ATT and +1AGI on top of that, like panther soul. And I think it only ranks up the rank up-able units. not all units. But anyway, it's the best card out of all EX cards!

For further discussion, also check this thread:
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... =viewtopic
Tenkai

Postby DocWatson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:04 am

You're quite right on both points Tenkai, however my main reason for flipping out over this is that it's going to be a rank up card for those that lack Panther Soul. While yes, it doesn't add to the attack and agility of one unit, if you've got a field of rankable guys this little angel is an absolute bomb. Thanks for the reply though!
DocWatson

Postby Eeyore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Timing is going to be key with her if you use her as a Soul Card. Tailoring will be needed to have her activate at the right time. Here are a few keys for her:

1) As you've both mentioned she only buffs Rankable Gowen units so if you use her as your first or second Soul Card you will have to summon Monk and Brave Soldier early on along with say a Salamander in round 3.

2) You're going to a lot of trouble using her as a Soul Card when the Gowen units still get killed off too quickly for the effects to mean much besides a 1-2 turn swing. Row damage enemy Souls or even a 50-60 damage dealer will put an end to the parade. The Angels buffing isn't permanent is it?

3) If your opponent somehow clears your board and uses an Iczer attack on your LP when all of your cards are dead the new Angel Soul Card will buff nobody.

I think I will gamble and use her either 2-3-4 in the Soul Card slots, leaning towards 3-4.

Btw both of the Lawtia units are anti-gowen. Gowen isn't the only deck that got some useful cards. That Broken Iron card will clear the entire board with a Sylph. 3 copies of him and his 3 agility is big trouble in little Gowen town!
Eeyore

Postby DocWatson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Oh yes, I mentioned in my other post that the Broken Iron Soldier, XXXX is going to seriously affect Lawtia strategies with his ability to completely wipe a board. Also, "big trouble in little Gowen town", I love it.
DocWatson

Postby Moratorius » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Eeyore wrote:1) As you've both mentioned she only buffs Rankable Gowen units so if you use her as your first or second Soul Card you will have to summon Monk and Brave Soldier early on along with say a Salamander in round 3.

If you don't care about rankups (really, the only substantial rankup atm would be Brave Soldier), your units are still getting +2LV and +20AT, which is still a hefty buff. Not only are you now impervious to the Return grimoire, many of the Gowen units can 1hko anything with 50HP.
Eeyore wrote:2) You're going to a lot of trouble using her as a Soul Card when the Gowen units still get killed off too quickly for the effects to mean much besides a 1-2 turn swing. Row damage enemy Souls or even a 50-60 damage dealer will put an end to the parade. The Angels buffing isn't permanent is it?

Unfortunately true, but a 1-2 turn swing can turn the tide of battle.
Eeyore wrote:3) If your opponent somehow clears your board and uses an Iczer attack on your LP when all of your cards are dead the new Angel Soul Card will buff nobody.

Doesn't happen often to Gowen, considering we have a lot of cannon fodder... but certainly pertinent to other spheres using her as an SC.
Eeyore wrote:Btw both of the Lawtia units are anti-gowen. Gowen isn't the only deck that got some useful cards. That Broken Iron card will clear the entire board with a Sylph. 3 copies of him and his 3 agility is big trouble in little Gowen town!

I made this same observation to a Lawtia player who brought him out in the training arena, so perhaps we'll begin seeing more Lawtia/Falkow hybrids...
Moratorius

Postby DocWatson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Lawtia/Falkow hybrid eh? I could certainly see that being a very decent possibility, both have cards that could use the other faction. Lawtia could use the speed and Falkow can use the efficient power, also, a XXXX bomb then using the SP you get from losing all those units to power out a Djinn would be pretty funny no?

I love posting on these boards, such lively discussion and brilliant ideas get tossed about!
DocWatson

Postby Thespi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Just played a match using the new Angel and EX cards... Of course, Gowen! ;a40

Anyways, EX:DeFau.... Perfect for Anti-LeBeau SS! :D

Fellow had DF/Tanked up a Combat Monk w/ 2 LeBeaus and "ZAP" ;attack all 95 DF went down the drain!!!

Timing for the Lil', but Mighty, Angel though to take advantage of her Open Skill and keep her alive... still working on that... :)
"A Lady should be more elegant," - Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Thespi

Postby Falanx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 am

Timing for the Lil', but Mighty, Angel though to take advantage of her Open Skill and keep her alive... still working on that...

Honestly, I've had the most luck popping her out immediately, as in second turn, to rankup a Brave Soldier. As nice as Brave Soldier > Panther Soul is I much prefer having another unit on the board at the beginning of the game. If by chance she does die immediately for whatever reason, normally I let her go to the cemetery right then and use the first SS to get rid of whatever's on the other side.
Falanx

Postby Thespi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 pm

I just used this cute, lil' Angel in another deck for her SS.... It was awesome! (Granted, it was the training arena, but it was against an experienced Iczer!):D

Got cards leveled up and all that good stuff, and my stategy actually worked! (at this point in time, I'm not quite revealing what exactly that is, since I haven't actually played this deck in the main arena and that's where I'll find out if it really will work or not...)

If it does.... Go ;a41 !

and maybe a new deck in ;a40 and ;a38 ! hhhhmmmm 8-) 8-)
"A Lady should be more elegant," - Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Thespi

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum