How to stop gowen rush as lawtia WITHOUT dragonrider?

Strategies and Card File Construction

How to stop gowen rush as lawtia WITHOUT dragonrider?

Postby PsychoSoul » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 am

Question in the title. I need tips from top lawtia players on how to hold off a gowen rush WITHOUT the dragonrider / wasseir soul card, which I don't have. The rush normally consists of, in varying order, kurina, blitz soldier, combat monk, brave panther or rougerst(soul or unit). possibly dryads or salamanders or lightning archers.
PsychoSoul

Re: How to stop gowen rush as lawtia WITHOUT dragonrider?

Postby Grain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Counterattack.
Grain

Postby azarael » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Psycho, I think you listed almost every Gowen unit there. :D

Try an Invisible Druid SS/Soulbind, and Assassin SS, or both.

Grain: I don't think that you can get a Counterattack off soon enough.
azarael

Postby Grain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:22 pm

azarael wrote:Grain: I don't think that you can get a Counterattack off soon enough.

Not in the beginning of the game.
Grain

Postby Logress » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Has anyone experimented using Salamander's soul skill, or XXXX's against the Gowen rush? Start off by minimizing the number of units, and maximizing defense, with cards like Sea Hunter, Folrart Shield knight, (splashed?) Dryads maybe Moonlight Warrior, let him get three out and then try to set off a Soul Skill or two? Only works against Brave Soldier ranked up if you've got a way of picking him off before he does the same to you. Haven't tried it myself...
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Phades » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Logress wrote:Has anyone experimented using Salamander's soul skill, or XXXX's against the Gowen rush? Start off by minimizing the number of units, and maximizing defense, with cards like Sea Hunter, Folrart Shield knight, (splashed?) Dryads maybe Moonlight Warrior, let him get three out and then try to set off a Soul Skill or two? Only works against Brave Soldier ranked up if you've got a way of picking him off before he does the same to you. Haven't tried it myself...

Actually, i have seen a gowen rush use XXXX as a soul skill. That actually works better than using Noirweiden as a trigger, since they get back to back SS triggers durring the recovery phase due to their skill triggering their deaths first. Unless you have something out on the table that is level 4+ and can take a brave/soul combo hits, your board gets wiped. It completely foils most attempts at using assassin as a SS as well, since the sacrifice tends to get closed before it can be selected.

Unless the lawita strategy involves endless night or zombie lord, i just dont see it happening personally.
Phades

Postby PsychoSoul » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:40 am

azarael wrote:Try an Invisible Druid SS/Soulbind, and Assassin SS, or both.

Doing this requires me to put sacrifices on the field and use soul bind, which will leave me with even less units on the field to deal with the rush because of the turns i am using up. It also puts me severely behind on soul cards from which it is very difficult to recover.

The most common opening I have difficulty with from the top gowen players is Kurina - Blitz soldier, after that it varies. They might play salamander or combat monk depending on the situation, or dryad, even exploding spores which does even more damage to what I have out. Others will go straight to a brave/rougerst panther after as their 3rd unit. They will have too much on the field for me to deal with and clear.

XXXX as a soul skill will also not kill blitz soldier and a ranked up brave soldier. Any salamanders or dryads that get hit will likely also be allowed to close, triggering the opponent's soul skills which will wipe my field.
PsychoSoul

Postby Candi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 am

the rush will give you a surge of SP -- so you could try XXXX as a unit though his 3 agi means last place - you would have to splash Falkow to ensure the bomb goes boom unless you still have wall units in place.

*cough* Eskatia *cough*
Candi

Postby PsychoSoul » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:19 pm

XXXX as a unit is more of a late game one-time desperation nuke to win a reasonably competitive game than to stop a rush, still won't kill blitz soldier, and id need to do it more than once to really work, which requires multiple sylphs in my deck which is very hard to make space for. I'd also have nothing on the field to be able to kill whatever got revived. The top gowen players are running me over so badly I'm losing 3 maybe even 4 soul cards possibly before they even lose 1, and that is normally triggered deliberately to keep control of the field.
PsychoSoul

Return to Annarose's Sanctum