Top 5 cards?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Top 5 cards?

Postby Phades » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Which cards would you guys list and why as the "top 5". Things that would cause them to be here would be for obvious reasons, like playability, depth of applications, and possible combinations. Try to limit the cards to constrain them to one application of use over another, since some cards can be more effective as a SS under different situations, while other cards are far more useful on the field. This would be opposed to considering the card to be used in the same file in both SS and field/file positions (note: this is where i wish grimoire had LP values). Go ahead and include cards as part of a combo or the complete combo list as one instance.

I'll start off, just from what i have experienced so far within the game. They are in no particular order of potentcy, just listed 1->5.

1) Assassin - Universal answer to any one nasty thing on the field, but requires a sacrifice and unengaged units. Only aqua sorceress as a soul skill and soul bind come to mind as meaningful counters for this card outside of being outplayed. This is usable in any deck with appropriate contingentcy strategies.

2) Le Beaux - Despite counters existing, this card is strong as a SS and requires decks to build answers for it. Any time you must include a specific answer for something, you know the effect is potent. This card can be outplayed like assassin can be and is technically usable in any deck.

3) Brave soldier/panther soul - This is fast and those that have it love it, while others have grown to hate it. People will include things like invisible druid -> soul bind, dragon rider, and return specifically for it. If left unchecked and on the board, this can win the game all by its self. The soldier becomes even more annoying when considering things like ruby carbuncle and the new angel.

4) Sylph/Undine - These two cards can be splashed effectively into any deck. Either can swing the course of one turn through the manipulation of AGL making both rather flexable cards. Futhermore, they make for ideal sacrifices to assassin or deliberate SS triggers and have many combinations within the falkow card set.

5) Magic sword dual weilding warrior - Extreemly flexable card, with a high enough agl to be able to manipulate the front row effectively. It has a good attack power when ranked up and even better while using its skills. This card may not potentially win a game by its self, but its field presence in addition to its manipulation can definately swing the battle in favor of the user. This card also has the "bonus" of not being a softer target like some falkow units, but can still be killed by 2 refress attacks.
Phades

Re: Top 5 cards?

Postby Grain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Spell Lock is a force to be reckoned with.
Grain

Postby Phades » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Seems like you would have prefered a worst 5 card list... :?
Phades

Postby ManiacalSoul » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:15 am

I might put return in there. Exceedingly irritating when used against you. Gets rid a of a front line tank or other key unit and turns field position in your opponent's favor. Also gets rid of buffed units. A good falkow player can completely control the game with this and sylphs/undines.
ManiacalSoul

Postby slashzero » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:43 pm

In all-around effectiveness, I'd have to put Blitz Soldier on my list. There's just nothing besides return cards that can take this guy down and keep his 30 attack off your back early in the game. He either tanks the front line like a madman or is very hard to reach when placed on the second row.
slashzero

Postby Porky » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 am

it makes me cry when they return my blitz soldier.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:15 am

Top 5 SS

1. Dragonrider / Wasseir - This card's SS is an absolute monster in the early game. The early game is all about establishing control of the field and this arguably does it better then any other card currently in the game.
2. Killing Machine / Lebeau - It's effectiveness at high levels of play is not quite what it used to be, but only because this card is SO good that everyone has made sure to include atleast one counter specifically for it in their card file. Regardless it still dominates at low level play and can destroy any player who makes the mistake of neglecting to include a counter for it.
3. Peregrine Paladin / Larut - Arguably the most potent and most versatile field damaging SS in the game. It only targets enemy units so you never have to worry about hurting your own, it can take out any 2 units with 30 or less hp, or it can take any single unit with 60 or less hp, and you get to decide the targets so luck doesn't play a role. If your not running this its probably cause you don't have one.
4. Wise Swordsman / Steel - Its like those row hitting soul cards that came with your starter... only it gives you +1sp as well! It can speed up the early game or help close out the late game. If you want to run a row hitting card, this is probably your first pick.
5. Solar Prince / Verlaat - It's Ruby Carbuncles effect... except with 2LP instead of 1. The 2LP does make it a little harder to manipulate exactly which cards are returned by the effect if you use it in an early slot, but if your crafty you still can, and regardless that extra LP makes it a MUCH better card for a mid to back slot.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:57 am

Top 5 Grimoire
1. Return - It only targets level 3 or less cards, but it effectively removes a unit of your choice from the field for 2 turns and gives your units a sort of power play since even if he played a unit the same time you played return, that unit won't reach the field till the end of the turn. It also serves as a great way to deal with units that have received alot of expensive or powerful buffs. I really can't forsee a Falkow deck not running this and being as good as or better then it would be with this card included.
2. Panther Soul - Most of the level 1 grimoires in the first set are pretty disappointing. Panther Soul is anything but. The ability to rank up any level 3 or less unit at will is already amazing when the game includes such great rank up abilities as Brave Soldiers, but +10 Attack and +1 AGI means the unit is almost certainly attacking first and hitting for a lot too! If it wasn't limited to Gowen units even other clans might splash it just for that permanent attack and AGI buff. And did I mention it only costs 1 SP to activate!
3. Soul Bind - Engaging a unit isn't nearly as powerful as returning or destroying it, but costing only 2SP and targeting any unit means this card is one of the most cost effective and non restrictive cards in the game for dealing with a problem unit. It perhaps requires a bit more finesse and strong tactical prowess to truly make this card a game changer, but the best players can do just that.
4. Flesh Recycle - Definitely the least consistently useful card in this list, Flesh Recycle still makes the list because A) there aren't all that many Grimoires in the game right now and B) there are alot of really powerful units with 20 or less HP that this card out right kills. The ability to heal your own units could be useful in theory but the actual situations where your going to use it in that manner are rare. Far more likely the use is going to be to kill something weak, or weaken something strong to speed up its death via your units. Its not fantastic, but it does come at a relatively cheap price tag and can turn the tide of battle in your favor if used well.
5. Dispel - I actually don't like Dispel. Its extremely limited in its use and often completely useless against opposing card files. Within a set or two I expect it will stop being used at all. But for now, there still aren't many cards that can deal with Killing Machine / Lebeau as a soul card and this is arguably the simplest counter of the counters we do have, thus why I gave it the fifth and final spot.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Phades » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Lol dan, making a top 10. :p
Phades

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Top 5 Units
1. Ruler of Crest / Eskatia - Even if lawtia didn't have so many units that become ridiculously powerful at night she'd still have decent stats and abilities for her level. The fact Lawtia does have said units means she's the key card in the ridiculous powerful Endless Night deck. She's not for every deck, but for the deck she belongs in theres arguably no unit more essential to its theme, and quite a powerful theme it is.
2. Sylph - Special mention should go to Undine as well, but Slyphs superior speed plus the fact she doesn't rely on your opponents units (Undine isn't really that great against say Refess who are often slower then you anyway) gives Sylph the edge. The ability to pretty much make any unit of your choice go first for the turn is absolutely incredible. The ability to then hide in the back dealing some extra poke damage every turn (and at a decent speed too) is just icing on the cake. I do believe I've seen her used in every clan, and used effectively.
3. Salamander - Here's another card I've seen splashed in many clans. At 1 sp its a cheap way to quickly finish off anything with 10 or less hp (and it ignores defense too!) but its usefulness doesn't stop there. Once it hits the field it can hide in the back and deal a whopping 30 damage every turn! Refess can't muster that much attack on their level 2s or nearly any of their level 3s, let alone level 1s. Sure it dies easily but with that much range, getting to it can be quite an ordeal for an opponent. And again... its level 1!
4. Shade - What can I say, theres alot of really powerful level 1 cards in the first set. Like Sylph and Salamander, Shade has an absolutely amazing open ability, and yet can continue to provide support from the back lines once it hits the field as well. If you manage to drain away 1SP, you basically got a unit for free. If you manage to drain 2 SP, its as if your opponent payed you to play it! But SP advantage aside Shade is also a great way to prevent your opponent from using those high sp abilities or saving up for those high level units. He can really control the flow of a game. Pretty amazing for a level 1.
5. Brave Soldier - It was really hard to choose only 5 units cause so many units are the back bone of top strategies, but I had to choose so in the end I gave the last spot to Brave Soldier for being the backbone of the infamous Brave Panther combo. As just a normal unit he's nothing special, mediocre stats for a level 2 and a really high rank up level restriction. But if you can rank him up, whether the hard way or more likely via panther soul, he becomes an absolute monster. 50 hp is unheard of for level 2s, even Refess level 2s top out at 45. 60 attack is ridiculous for any unit of any level. In the first set (and including ex cards) 50 attack (60 with panther soul) is the second highest base attack behind only Death Incarnate / Proposition. 3 AGI (4 with panther soul) means he's either attack first, or near first, and his slash ability means if you're opponent stacked his front row with units he can prepare to cry while he watches them all close in a single action. He requires a little extra work to get going, but once you get him ranked up few cards are more feared on the battle field.
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum