Refess's Redemption

Strategies and Card File Construction

Refess's Redemption

Postby kirayagami » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:46 am

Seeing how many people are loseing love and respect for refess i wrote this topic.
Let me start by saying in no way im no expert but i like to belive not so nooby enogh to make this thread.( o and if i make a grammer mistake im sorry it's not on purpose im just stoopid)
This is my finding of refess( im only lvl 10-_-;;)

Yes refess lack's in ATK and AGI >< and yes they are costly and some(most of them) are over priced but, as for refess's redemption, i like to belive there is one
at the current lvl's of card out now the best way to use refess is what it was designed around.
(Stop reading here if I already sound boring)
First let me start by talking about refess's traits.
i belive refess was designed around the concept of neither strong nor weak,fast nor slow.
what refess accels at is being SUPER DUPER eh? blah.....medicore.
(again last chance if im boring stop reading)
refess does Not have atk of gowen or the High hp regenerating mosters of lawtia or the speed of falkow but what refess has
is cards that are almost mixture of traits of the other colors.
so i recommend these cards.
Blessed Acolyte (used in early game decent hp ok atk)

Boy Combat Priest (used as a support unit for extra ATK and also Pawns)
Will o' the Wisp (used as a Support unit for extra HP and also Pawns)
Kesaran Pasaran (used as a Support unit for extra sp and also Pawns)

seeing how almost every refess will use Blessed Acolyte try a combination of 2 of the above pawn unit for support.
next...try these for your main fighters(ugh.if your still reading your awsome)

Light Spearwoman (the Skill on this card costing only 1 sp for instant 45 Dmg goodness makes this card AW~some)
Sun and Birth / Weissvogel (the reason for this card is simple 4 AGI in a refess 4Agi is almost non-exsistant plus it has some nice extra support skill you may or may not care about)
EX: Lion Baron / Zagar ( sure the non EX baron is nice but this guy pack a skill that make your DEF heavy meat tank look like paper shields plus it has 30ATK to boot)
Brutal Inquisitor ( this card may look like not much seeing how the guy on the pic looks like a dork but it will save your game with it's skill plus it has a decent 3 AGI)

along with the card list above use couple of creamy strategistic grimorire cards like

Cure (no need to explain this one)
Raise Shield( its a lilttle costly but you will thank this card later)
Holy Light (having one can Save your game... but having 2 ;; is too many i think;;)
Dispel (for your DEF killing, LeBeau hateing pleasure)

i pick the above unit cards for the balance of speed and atk
and grimorire card thats the most productive and helpful far as i know

now for soul cards i use EX Azure Dragon - East / Vordore for your balanced ATK/AGI/DEF goodness, and... Fire and Gaia / Rougeerst Heavy Atk boost and a heal!?

so heres my opening
turn1 - set 3 sp in to refess and set Blessed Acolyte
turn2 - use 1 spto set a support unit( any of the listed above Pending on your judgement)
turn3 - use 3 sp to set Sun and Birth / Weissvogel

i usually set the angel on turn 3 because most likely your acolyte took a hit and cureing some of that is nice plus it may Help your game greatly with its 4agi
seeing how all of my soul cards boosts stats for my unit if my pawn die i wont revive it so the angel and the aclyte will get a nice boost

so try out those cards and hopely you will see some light in refess's current state
and if you dont have those card or cant afford to get them i hope some of the info here shed some light on what refess has to offer
i think i wrote way too much so ill stop here.( if you read All of this your my hero)
Last edited by kirayagami on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
kirayagami

Re: Refess's Redemtion

Postby Grain » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Your title has a mispelling.

I can't play Sun and Birth on the 3rd turn against a Lawtia Iczers.

Thanks for staying positive.
Last edited by Grain on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grain

Postby kirayagami » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 am

my bad;; ><
kirayagami

Postby lunaCremisi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 am

Refess probably won't see redemption until the first expansion arrives, which is sometime in october according to the gms. Looking at the japanese card list, over half of the units/characters for Refess have agility 3-4, which is very useful seeing as how that could potentially solve the refess problem that is lackluster speed. Logress also commented on another thread that possible rebalancing tweaks in the future would smooth things out. Refess as of now is definitely the weakest sphere (and I say that because I play Refess), so don't expect redemption with the current cards. However, I'm pretty sure things should work out(in terms of redemption for refess) once more cards are released.....this is unintentionally long......
lunaCremisi

Postby Xovian » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 am

Refess has just as many if not more combos then Falkow.

I have a file that runs it, and I've seen others with it too.
There are several variants that I've seen, which I wont get into.
Sadly the starter deck isn't even close enough to the combos to make it workable.
Wish it were.

Refess is the slowest file type to use, however if you can live through the initial onslaughts, it is doable.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the sphere could use some love.
When you have other spheres that have several advantages, it's not really surprising the slow methodical Refess gets left behind.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Re: Refess's Redemption

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Refess is definitely one of the most under appreciated and under rated of the clans, at the purely starter deck level I'll take my chances with refess against any clan, and they remain decent at the slightly modified starter deck level, so you can have success with refess for quite a while. The problem is at top level play, I've seen (and in the summer tournament ran) numerous top level decks for the other 3 clans that are leagues above anything a modified starter can produce. However Refess seems to be lacking a top level strategy that can compete with the other clans top level strategies. People can claim that Refess isn't really that bad all they want, but until they can actually produce examples of a refess deck that has answers for the top decks of the other clans, until we hear talk of that mysterious refess player who showed up out of no where and trounced most of the RP top 10 (I say only most cause no matter how good a deck is its not going to win ALL the time) there's really no reason to believe Refess is competitive at the top level of play.

Still, if I could stay in the levels 1-9 room as long as I only ever used a slightly modified starter, I'd be perfectly content to run Refess, atleast in the early going they are not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Romdeau » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, Refess has a savior and his/her name is patapoya. As of right now, 5:08 p.m. Pacific, patapoya is ranked #3 on the RP stats. I've encounter this Iczer and needless to say he stomped on me. He used quite a few rare cards and the EX angel but that's besides the point; Refess does stand a chance of redemption. Perhaps nobody just knew how to use them properly until now.

BTW I'm not 100% sure that's the Iczer I fought but I'm darn near close to it, but please correct me and ignore if I am wrong.
Romdeau

Postby Grain » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Proxy wrote:Just in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, Refess has a savior and his/her name is patapoya. As of right now, 5:08 p.m. Pacific, patapoya is ranked #3 on the RP stats. I've encounter this Iczer and needless to say he stomped on me. He used quite a few rare cards and the EX angel but that's besides the point; Refess does stand a chance of redemption. Perhaps nobody just knew how to use them properly until now.

BTW I'm not 100% sure that's the Iczer I fought but I'm darn near close to it, but please correct me and ignore if I am wrong.

Of course, Refess is fine! This proves it.

Everyone else just needs to learn to play or switch to Gowen.
Last edited by Grain on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grain

Postby Moratorius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Proxy wrote:Just in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, Refess has a savior and his/her name is patapoya. As of right now, 5:08 p.m. Pacific, patapoya is ranked #3 on the RP stats. I've encounter this Iczer and needless to say he stomped on me. He used quite a few rare cards and the EX angel but that's besides the point; Refess does stand a chance of redemption. Perhaps nobody just knew how to use them properly until now.

He plays Falkow. I've fought him three times, and I've won twice... he's probably the strongest Falkow player I've fought so far though (his stats are amazing, he had lost only 15 times after our third game, which he won... compared to over 100 wins.)
Moratorius

Postby EvilGenius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:27 pm

Grain wrote:

Of course, Refess is fine! This proves it.

Everyone else just needs to learn to play. They're obviously missing something.

I can't tell if you're joking or serious. :? Even though I love Refess, I still feel we were given the short end, being slow and weak AT.
EvilGenius

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum