officially sick of falkow

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: officially sick of falkow

Postby Phades » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm

darklogos wrote:i will say that the weakness of Gowen is more then low hp. Its that you can't get good defense outside of dyrad and dyrad soldier unless you mix spheres. The average speed of gowen is 3 but i'm starting to see more races with agi 3+ in folrat. Gowen will never get really good defense or really good hp buffs in a set.
What on earth are you talking about. Fairy dance is the best +HP buff in the game and dryad is the most efficient +defense solution as well. Dryad soldier over time could prove to be a nuicance as well... And you are comparing this against what exactly, raise shields, will o wisp? Outside of fountain knight, moonlight warrior and a falkow character whose name escapes me, 10 Defense is the standard for any base unit attribute and gowen contains units with that....
Phades

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01 am

Are people still sick of Falkow? Falkow's popularity and strength both dropped a large amount in set 2=/ Besides the Renally/dragon emperor decks what other Falkow decks are there? The traditional creature deck?
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby slashzero » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 am

Azure Beastmaster + Monster files are pretty good in theory, of course I am completely missing one card entirely and copies of others to make it work. Logress does seems to have taken a liking to it. Don't underestimate the random factor that you get by opening Roc (almost always in your advantage), or the fact that the new level 4 tank can also pinpoint. (Did someone say Invisible Edge surprise?) Plus you can easily put Azure Strategist in there and give Gowen opponents too many targets for Fire Bolt... Get back to me once the tournament on Friday forces me me to get more gran.

You're right though, Falkow's popularity has plummeted since set 2, since now there are files out there that easily take down Falkow swarming (Emperor wiping, Fire Dragons, Lawtia's Dragonrider/Emperor, Burning Sun, Coatl/Holy Dragon, Fire Tornado now costs very little for 35/45 x 4 damage, etc.) which makes the free cards much less useful. To be competitive in Folrart (as in your battles won on average exceeds your battles lost on average) Falkow players need some sort of strong card combination (most of which takes a bit of luck at drawing cards to complete) as well as a well-developed strategy, and usually the Falkow level 3 rush + Azure Strategist won't cut it anymore. I have seen some others still using these types of files with moderate success but against what Gowen can pull off with just a few 2-star and 3-star rarity cards...
slashzero

Postby BlueFlame » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:55 am

I find myself having a hard time against Gowen players who use C.Monk and Kurina and Brave Soldier then have Ruugeroest (sp) come out and give the Rank Up. Doesn't help much when Dryad comes out to give a def buff then Dryad SS goes off furthering the def buff. I don't see much Panther Soul use anymore. Blitz Soldier is rarely played out (against those I've played). As a player who uses the starter deck with modified SS's, I find myself having to try outrush a Gowen player or else s/he's gonna punish me really fast. Returns work well though. If you can keep Vordore alive, good job. Otherwise, prepared to get screwed.

I find that mixing Refess into my deck helps too. Namely one card and its Priest of the Holy Word. I only have one of these from leveling up but its good for early-mid game. Works great against Lawtia's and Refess and occasionally a fellow Falkow deck. Can be used late game, but I prefer it out when I have MSS or SH out. A Sea Hunter buffed with Sorceror Guard and Holy Word's defense is awesome, and if you have Vordore to buff it, even better. MSS can get the attack bonus and then use pinpoint to attack a specified target. Tried using Cure but eventually recycled it because I could never get it out.
BlueFlame

Postby Logress » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:32 am

Falkow relies a bit more on pure trickery now. Though, CSquared's Falow Lockdown deck has really nailed me a few times.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby surignum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 am

Cheezy wrote:I may have over exaggerated a little with Falkow and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
But as I see it, I can't find any weakness with Falkow at all. They've got imo the best tanker, great support units (most which die easily but are compensated by devastating soul skills. :cry: ) and that damned Return, agh.

Azure Dragon is a great pain to me especially since I'm Lawtia and don't have many pinpoint cards.
It's no fun when 70 attack units wipe out my entire field

did you forget you have counterattack?....of course set two lawtia cards could easily dominate this sphere, but even if you dont plan on spending any money on it, you can still manage to get a lebau out there and instead of trying to use his slash skill, just send out a counterattack the next turn...40 dmg to all units?...i can see the slyphs AND undines AND scythe soldiers AND azure dragons that they **** on the field just falling like flys....or you could just pure terror the song sorceress right when she comes out, preventing the 6agi sea hunter in the first place.......as for now, falkow is the least played because everyone realized the newb strat is basically busted now that the set two is out

sooooo....power to the lawtia XD
*It descends from heaven:Yet it unleashes hell*
surignum

Postby surignum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am

and i recently created a falkow deck mainly of set two cards which has brought me many wins lately...the early stages of the game revolve around the 3 pirate kings. if you set him out early with another pirate subtype, his auto skills of returning one card to the card file from the graveyard, AND random dmg to anyone who is non-pirate, really keep the game going. if the pirate dies, when you revive him, the next pirate kings auto ability will just return the dead one from the graveyard.....infinite spamming anyone? the only negative connotation with this is if you play a unit that isnt a pirate. his auto dmg skill could hit and kill him...

and throwing out thunderheads (50 dmg subracted from 3 random units) 3 times, really seems to work well against gowen in particular, who just throw out the kurina, monk, archer, and brave soldier combos. falkow got a well deserved boost in set 2, rather than just relying on agility.
*It descends from heaven:Yet it unleashes hell*
surignum

Postby slashzero » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm

You can't set two pirate kings on the field at the same time, character backlash. (I actually accidentally backlashed myself once this way. Well, I would've lost anyways.) Try strategies before you claim to have done them.

Fairy dance will ruin your day with Thunderheads, especially since if you don't have a strong field presence early on good Gowen players will suspect water emperor and try to set more level 3s.
slashzero

Postby Candi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Falkow counters gowen rush with Cyclone. :D

And Pirate King + Renally then late game Swan Sorceress (after you spent all game casting grimoires) can be devastating, if run properly.

There is only 1 pirate in the game at this point - but the future holds promise of more!
Candi

Postby SadistOkita » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Come on people. Falkow is not that strong. Only against lawtia it totaly owns, in case they run a starter deck.
When you break their formation they die like flies. So be reasonable, falkow just dosn't have good cards. If you lose to them then your strategy is flawed, so try to improve it somehow.
And gowen decks can rush the **** out of falkow.
SadistOkita

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum