Mermaids/Deep Ones

Strategies and Card File Construction

Mermaids/Deep Ones

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 am

Just wanted to open a discussion on building a mermaids deep ones. A few things I was thinking about:

1. Would a 1-1-1-1-3 SS lineup really work with a tribe with so many open skill units? I kinda think their play style demands a different SS lineup.

2. Is Emana worth adding? At first I thought of course, why not add 2 copies, but so many ranged units can hit her I'm starting to think she just isn't worth it.

3. Ratio of deep ones to mermaids. I can't seem to figure out how many deep ones to add relative to mermaids.

4. Mermaid Spear Fighter. She does big double column damage, but her skill only seems to work with that lvl 1 princess girl, or emana. Bob000 mentioned how you could also agi manip with slyph or slyph sorceress. Hmm worth it?

5. Is that mermaid transformation grim worth using?

6. Mermaid aquamancer. The dark horse mermaids unit maybe? She targets much better than Dio that's for sure!

7. For the mermaids soldier (human), do people think the 1sp numbing slash skill is good? I haven't really found a good use for it since it only works on already engaged units.

Anyone brave enough to try playing mermaids? They're certainly not as easy to play as say, a level 3 wiz king rush, but thoughts on the matter?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Mermaids/Deep Ones

Postby exemplar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:16 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:Just wanted to open a discussion on building a mermaids deep ones. A few things I was thinking about:
1. Would a 1-1-1-1-3 SS lineup really work with a tribe with so many open skill units? I kinda think their play style demands a different SS lineup.
2. Is Emana worth adding? At first I thought of course, why not add 2 copies, but so many ranged units can hit her I'm starting to think she just isn't worth it.
3. Ratio of deep ones to mermaids. I can't seem to figure out how many deep ones to add relative to mermaids.
4. Mermaid Spear Fighter. She does big double column damage, but her skill only seems to work with that lvl 1 princess girl, or emana. Bob000 mentioned how you could also agi manip with slyph or slyph sorceress. Hmm worth it?
6. Mermaid aquamancer. The dark horse mermaids unit maybe? She targets much better than Dio that's for sure!
7. For the mermaids soldier (human), do people think the 1sp numbing slash skill is good? I haven't really found a good use for it since it only works on already engaged units.
Anyone brave enough to try playing mermaids? They're certainly not as easy to play as say, a level 3 wiz king rush, but thoughts on the matter?

1. Mermaids tend to be rush file oriented, so yes I think 8 lp suits them.
2. She is situational as you have mentioned. Good against undead, lamer winston / burger king rivera, shrine knights but bad against Monsters, Pixies, Duchy of Crest.
3. Metia seems to be the only worthwhile deep one unit in my opinion. If I'm going to feed a deep one a card, it might as well be a field wide mini chiruru ss.
4. Have had some minor success with her using Balzelda / Metia to buff her to 80 AT / 6 AGI. She can clean bringer's clock for 0 sp.
5. Haven't tried, but it feels like a waste of a file slot when its already kinda tight.
6. +10 hp, +1 sp cost , no need for engaged, can hit allied level 4 units. She combos decently with Balzelda's level raising action skill, but I think Diondora is the superior choice.
7. Numbing slash combos with Diondora somewhat. It basically stops fast units for acting for one turn. Might be the breathing room you need to get rid of a pesky bringer or some such.
Character conversations on hiatus until I get my photobucket sorted out.

Blog on hiatus until I find a new hosting site.
exemplar

Postby iambad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:20 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:Just wanted to open a discussion on building a mermaids deep ones. A few things I was thinking about:

The thing about this skill is once you can use it, you can keep using it until units close or is returned/removed. They are always engaged when your turn comes up. I can think of a few cases where this would be nice(undead, dragon eye, lycans, ect).

The problem is keeping three other mermaids alive while having the sp to keep using it. I guess if it didn't have the restriction he would be op, but seriously, 3 other mermaids just to use an action skill?
iambad

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 am

Well Exemp here is the thing with the SS... If you set up like 1-1-1, and your opponent opens kurina tiger, it's nice to be able to open cath mof faytis for that early edge, but then if they iczer, you're down your first 3SS a few turns in. Or like if they go with shades or something being able to drop an early owl sage can really help obviously.. But having that 1-1-1 SS really limits your options early on. Plus, you got a bunch of open skill units that are nice to play multiple times, such as faytis, the human sorceress, and spear fighter. But I dunno, that's just my theory.

Then with the aquamancer, her 3agi and targeting is awesome. I know about dio I use her a fair amount, and just a lot of times you're up against a field of a lvl 2, lvl 1, and a lvl 4 and her random targeting is tough to deal with. That aquamancer could hit a lot of units before they even act. And you don't have to worry about lvl 1 or lvl 2 spam troubling dio.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby LoneKnight » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Why would you play faytis so soon? It's better to play a mermaid, let cath die (trigger asuet), and then play faytis the turn after. There's no point in playing faytis when you have no units out to take advantage of the board position from the open skill.
LoneKnight

Postby shadowsketch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:55 pm

I've only tried Mermaids in training mode, I'm missing one more level 3 unit. But I'll give some feedback.

1. I'd say go 1 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1 > 3 or 1 -> 1 -> 2 -> 2 -> 2.

2. Don't have copies of Emana, but I'm not running out buying packs to get her. I don't see her as necessary.

3. Metia is the only Deep One I see necessary.

4. I'd say worth it on Mermaid Spear -Human-. About that LVL 1 princess girl, do you mean Mermaid Girl Sorceress? The one that buffs the mermaid in the middle? Haven't used her, but I have tried Spear Fighter with Foveontosa. Fov turns Spear Fighter into a 1SP Pinpoint unit with the potential to take out more. Solving her slow agility is the main problem, but with Metia she hits a sufficient 3. In emergency cases, Mermaid Transformation can let her hit 4 with Metia OR you can use Sylph/Sylph Sorceress as you mentioned. Also, don't forget you're in the color of Teleport.

5. I've tried it. The big benefit to me is the AGI + 1 to all units.

6. Aquamancer fails with Metia =/.

7. Have never used Numbing Slash before.
shadowsketch

Postby Logress » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Her skill requires 'three friendly mermaids' to be on the field, not 'except this unit.' So, you only need two more other than her.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Urizen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 pm

you probably need tidal wave and not faytis, also consider a winged scout instead of mof to go to 4, start cath human soldier wing scout sage spear fighter etc, also the merms need pegs just like wk to be really effective. I tried em with some success but no elite fencer and no sorc monk endgame makes em tier 2 to wk. Emanna I had little success with she's too inconsistent and week to other falkow.
Image No, actually I didn't bring a spare......
Urizen

Postby neviscus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Well I played mermaids off and on till the last set. I just haven't been able to get much of set 8, so I don't know about the new ones, plus my mermaid file opens with witch, and would use sorc monk if needed (due to my lack of cards). I will give my opinion, even though of these two facts

1. Since I use witch opening my soul skills are a bit different. I actually do 1-1-1-1-2, though that is with winged scout in there, so really 1-1-1-1-3 would work.
2.Don't have her and don't see her as too incredibly useful, depends on the deck you face. like said before , she helps against undead, ect.
3. I have to agree. Metia is the one worth using at the moment for me.
4. Either, speed her up, play mermaid girl. Or Balzelda if you have her. (Balzelda is more helpful than she gets credit for.)
5. Transformation might be an add if you don't have anything else, the +1 Agi for all combined with the +1 sp, Its not bad.
6. Once again situational, if you play her with faytis, human spear fighter, or get fruited, she is risky. Don't get me wrong, I use her in my file just in case, and she has saved me a few times.
7. Don't know about numbing slash, She it seems like that is an icing on the cake for a lv 3 falkow 60 hp unit. Which is what we have been asking for.

Mermaid is difficult, I played them when I got my 2 copies of balzelda via ex pack. I don't go entirely mermaid like I said, so my opinion should not be weighted like everyone else's
neviscus

Postby evit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 am

So here my feedback about mermaid, hope this will help....

1. i think 1-1-1-1-3 SS is too fast for mermaid and if thing going bad , you will lose easily, at least maybe the 2nd SS can use 2 LP SS, depend on your play style..
2. i dont have emana, but i agree with other have said that she is situational. it really help since your opponent need to focus on her if their unit dont have many skill to use.
3. Only Metia that have start skill compare to other Deep Ones, which make the other is difficult to use
4. i dont have it too but have you try only use her 1 sp skill.i think it still work wonder even only for 1 column
5. Yes, it is worth using and have safe a few of my games
6. Mermaid aquamancer is difficult to use when you plan to use Metia, she also dont have good attack
7. Mermaid soldier slash skill really help when you manage to survive after big unit attack. help me win against Ainhazard, but make me lost to Bringer since the skill didn't work when your mermaid friend already died.(The reason Bringer dont kill Mermaid soldier[Human] is Mermaid Dancer already buff her hp that Bringer cant kill in 1 turn.)
evit

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum