I would say.... if you haven't needed a must have turn 2 Lv 3, Cath. is always superior in most situation. It provides too much benefits than Carbuncle or young sorceress....
For Lawita OP:
There are usually 5:
1. Shade--> Lv 3 ---> Shade/Lv 2
2. Shade ---> Soul Pact --->Lv 3/Lv 4 or another soul pact, depends you are rush/mid/big
3. Shade ---> Shade ---> Soul Pact/Rats
4. Shade ----> Lv 2
5. Dagon --- Dagon/Tarus/EX Walker/Esk...
Actaully, all can be well answered by falkow....except the last one which depends on your 1st SS actually
1. Cath. ---> Owl Sage ---> Return (It is almost game over for lawita player here)
2. Cath. ----> Owl Sage ---> depends on file, if you really afraid of that soul pact and want owl sage a go, play tidalwave, super-good vs big lawita as it also delays their 1st SS activation. It will left the lawita player a choice to play their key unit or play shade again, which you can recover from owl sage...well, it is their choice though. Just keep 2 SP open and nothing to be worried, except they play a grim to kill or salamander...XD
3. When i see double shade and i know i am facing good player...i may face a soul pact/rat...OK, tidalwave, Cath. buff owl sage to DF 20, eating soul pact, Cath. attack done...well, the later one will usually activate their SS which actually good for the lawita player...but they devote 3 spaces to have this advantage, so they should have it.
4. Well, tidalwave?... Don't need to think except that unit is having 0 AT like lv 1 buff-undead priest or the priest that return undead from cem.
5. Cath. ---> Tidalwave ---> depends
At that point, it is how many owl sage, tidalwave and other grim you have pack in your file though...
And, if Cath. is alive...She rocks....