Set 2: First Impression

Strategies and Card File Construction

Set 2: First Impression

Postby KitsuneOni » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 pm

Okay, so I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with Set 2 so far. Most of the cards do not seem playable and unrealistic such as a Dragon Emperor that's a level 9. Sure, they've backed it up with soul cards that give +3 to your spheres level, but this is still 9 SP we're talking about (plus SP for the levels needed to put into the sphere). I've seen very little synergy done to each sphere. While it's cool cards like "Haste Soldier" have been remade in a different sphere (Skeleton Warrior) with slightly altered abilities, I still wish they added a little more change to the game, and with the set's average level seeming to be 4 or greater, it doesn't seem like a realistic set. Most of my decks are going to remain relatively the same because none of the cards in set 2 seem to flow well with set 1. Of course, this is probably due to my lack of figuring out some combos. Now for my first impression towards the spheres and how they were affected.

;a41 Refess seems to get the overall best end of the stick here. They can generate SP high enough to actually play some of their cards and they have guys with attack that can actually kill things. With the angel lycanthropes of Refess, they now have their own tricks up their sleeves. Seraph in particular seems to be interesting. For 4 SP and if it's morning she can send any enemy unit within range immediately to the cemetery. She's a level 3 and her ability is costly, but if you can muster up the SP she seems nifty. Their new grimoire cards are also cool. They now have access to a lot of burn spells that look a lot like Gowen's.

;a39 Lawtia also seems to have some cool stuff and a bigger improvement. They have new lycanthropes like Fenir that seem highly playable and the grimoire Pure Terror is great to take out old set 1 cards that gave us trouble for 3 SP, much cheaper than the first Lawtia kill card, Merciless Death.

;a40 In my opinion Gowen got the short end of the stick. Just seems to be lacking the most in overall synergy.

;a38 Falkow also got a good boost wind sorceress seems amazing and they have an alternate to Sylph for only 2 more AGI rather than 5, but a little better card as a unit.

Okay, so I shorted the last two spheres because I'm in a hurry, but feel free to expand on the spheres and what you could see as good cards. I know I've bypassed many amazing cards that could change the meta game, so place your two cents (or more) here about set 2. Thanks in advance.
Where there is light there must be darkness, for without evil there is none that is good.
KitsuneOni

Re: Set 2: First Impression

Postby jasta85 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 pm

i've only been playing falkow so far and it's really fun, hard to choose which cards i want in my deck now, i used to run a few gowen cards to give it some extra punch but now i've dropped them. i'm not running a deck with absolutely no level 4 or above cards, i can get everything out fast (speaking of fast my whole army is AGI3 or higher with the exception of the sea beast, and they become AGI4+ when the wind sorceress comes out) and there is a lot of great synergy between the units. enchanter is an awsome booster unit. my deck does become rather vulnerable when people toss out mass destruction cards though.

gowen seems to play pretty much the same as always, lots of straight up damage.

Lawtia is fricken annoying to fight when the game is night time half the rounds even without eskatia. new magic dolls and lycanthrops are nasty customers.

havnt fought a refuss yet.
jasta85

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm

So far I'm kind of regretting buying so many boxes, I've been losing all day. But to be fair, I've been using Refess all day too and even though everyone seems to think this set would help them so much, until some one running refess dominates the RP rankings its all just theory. I haven't found very many of their new cards to be all that useful. Heres my first impressions of the refess cards.

Refess:
The Good: They finally have some playable Grimoires. Blessing is a great way to help keep those tough units around for a little bit longer, keep those weak units alive long enough to do something, or just give a slight attack boost to a unit with out going dual-sphere for magic weapon. Judgement Hammer is also decent(how I wish I had pulled one), finally giving them a good field clearing spell similar to Fire Tornado. In the area of units Folrart Spear Knight finally gives them a high damage unit, and its got range as well. Its hp and speed is terrible, but you can't have it all. Kind of reminds me of a bigger Salamander except with Lancer instead of an open skill.

The Bad: They didn't get any real SP generators, making 2 sets in a row that the so called SP generator sphere sucks at generating SP. Best SP gen I've seen is Recovery Powder and thats no better then the sp generating spells every sphere got. They still lack in the level 1-2 category as most of their new level 1s and 2s really just aren't that good. Shrine Knights a slightly slower haste soldier with out the free revive and so far doesn't seem to be a better opening then the traditional blessed acolyte. Armed Citizens could have been useful if their open skill attack boost was permanent or they could do anything once they hit the field, but so far I haven't found their boost to be anywhere near as helpful as the open skills of the non-will-o-wisp great spirits and even worse then will-o-wisp they're extreme liabilities once they hit the field. The lycanthropes could be good... but really need an endless morning deck to be worth it, which requires 3 Solar Prince / Verlat, a 5 star rare from set 1. You could spend hundreds of dollars on set 1 packs and not pull 1 Verlat, let alone 3.

The Worse: They got alot of decent level 3s. Why is this worse? Cause they already had a bunch of decent level 3s, what they needed were either better low level cards, or some GREAT level 3s. Also remember when I said they got good grimoires now? Unfortantly the good ones are rare, and the common ones are all pretty meh. Recovery powder is ok but energy bolt does way too low damage to warrant use, you'd be better off splashing a salamander. Burning sun I can only assume is meant as support for a deck built around high levels like dragon rider / Wasseir or something, but even then its so expensive I think you'd be better off just buffing Wasseir's attack (or better yet using blessing on him).
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Phades » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Did any card revisions occur yet? I thought that was going to happen in tandem with the release of the new set.
Phades

Postby Gota » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:27 pm

There is another card that changed battle time to morning now.
[card=183]Time Reader / Lavende[/card]
Last edited by Gota on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Phades » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:30 pm

It is not a start skill. Sure 4 agl is good, but a lot of things can happen when units can start acting and it requires that turn's action....
Phades

Postby Gota » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah you are right.
1 question, What happens if you got the sun guy and your opponent got eskatia on the field?
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Phades » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Gota wrote:Yeah you are right.
1 question, What happens if you got the sun guy and your opponent got eskatia on the field?
AGL of the characters determine the order of events if i recall correctly. The GMs commented on this awhile back, i forget which thread it was in though.
Phades

Postby Gota » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Ah ok, but they are both 4agl =s

But there is 1 thing good about the action sun skill. You can render lawtia's eskatia and succubus useless, since the 4agl would go after their skill. Sure you lose the battle time for 5agl and with bad luck some 4agl turns. But alot of lawtia's monsters are agl 3 and below (minus a few). Refess can still get daytime for the rest of the agl4,3,2,and 1 monsters :D

^though I'd still prefer the start as well, but just a thought of a small benefit for it (highly situational tho >.> so lets just scrap it and ignore me XD)
Gota

Postby Grain » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Before the redo, [card=200]Citizen[/card]'s ability was an action skill, not open skill.

That sounds pretty strong for a level 1 unit...

[card=275]That Falkow card[/card] which rearranges your field rows sounds devestating. More devestating than the [card=191]carbuncle[/card].

The level 2 [card=270]Falkow archer[/card] will be doing some crazy damage to Refess and Lawtia.

[card=193]Burning Sun[/card] used to be 6 SP to use.

[card=260]Wrath of the Constellations[/card] used to be named "Apocalypse". It was level 6 and the most powerful card in the game. It's old ability was:
Both Iczer's LP = 0
Grain

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum