Set 2: First Impression

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Set 2: First Impression

Postby jasta85 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:11 pm

woops, i'm an idiot, anyway, i still think he can be a decent opener if you want to get a level 3 out 2nd turn. 30 hp means he can survive most 1st turn cards with the exception of blitz soldier and a really lucky combat monk.

by the way, i bought a second box and got another lawtia dragon, so now i have two 5 star dragon emperors from lawtia. i'm curious, would anyone want to put two of these into a deck unless you are actually building the deck around getting it out? i'm considering keeping one just for the sake of having a dragon emperor and recycling the 2nd one so i can get 2 more booster packs. any advice on this either way?
jasta85

Postby Forsakensoul » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 am

jasta85 wrote:woops, i'm an idiot, anyway, i still think he can be a decent opener if you want to get a level 3 out 2nd turn. 30 hp means he can survive most 1st turn cards with the exception of blitz soldier and a really lucky combat monk.

by the way, i bought a second box and got another lawtia dragon, so now i have two 5 star dragon emperors from lawtia. i'm curious, would anyone want to put two of these into a deck unless you are actually building the deck around getting it out? i'm considering keeping one just for the sake of having a dragon emperor and recycling the 2nd one so i can get 2 more booster packs. any advice on this either way?

Honestly my advice to anyone is to keep a playset of 3 of every card. You never know when the crapiest card will get a card that it combos really well with and then you will be like " dangit and I recycled it off and got nothing worthwhile to replace it with"

The dragons, although hard to get out, are very nice when they do get out. Obviously the more you have the better. If you can get the first 1 out then its nice to be able to rez them for 1 SP instead of 9. This also means that Assassin is your worst enemy and there are a few other cards that are pretty nasty.

I personally play 3 of the gowen dragon and can hold off long enough to get him out fairly easy. Then as he takes a beating, I get my Fire dragon out and play behind him. From there its just a matter of what to play next.
Forsakensoul

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 am

I agree with forsaken soul, the recycle value for cards is so far below what it would cost you to get another card of the same rarity (let alone another copy of the card itself) I really wouldn't suggest recycling anything you don't already have a playset for. The lone exception is if its a high level card for a sphere your absolutely sure you never intend to run, even as a dual sphere when dual sphere cards come out. But other then that, even if you don't like a card now, you really never know if it might get better support cards in the future or if it might even get errata'd to be more useful in the future. If that happens your really going to be kicking yourself for recycling your card for so little return value.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Xovian » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:11 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:But other then that, even if you don't like a card now, you really never know if it might get better support cards in the future or if it might even get errata'd to be more useful in the future. If that happens your really going to be kicking yourself for recycling your card for so little return value.

Thats the exact reason I don't recycle unless i have three of them.
I did it for one card in the basic set, and have been kicking myself as Dical can be a lot easier to get out in the current game.
He's the only card from the first set i dont have 3 of currently.
A lesson learned the hard way so to speak.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby victorcarbon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm kidna new here (hi guys hope to see you in game!!) but I have to disagree on the thoughts of Gowen getting kinda shafted.

Fariy Dance, Salamander Soldier and Estoma are all pretty awesome cards. It seems super balanced on all levels of play.

Anyways, yay fun stuff ^_^
victorcarbon

Postby Romdeau » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:39 pm

I must've missed something, did someone say Gowen got nerfed or something? If that's the case I'd like to wave my finger and say "Uh-uh, no you didn't".
Romdeau

Postby Phades » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Romdeau wrote:I must've missed something, did someone say Gowen got nerfed or something? If that's the case I'd like to wave my finger and say "Uh-uh, no you didn't".

lol, he just let his ghetto out.
Phades

Postby DWildstar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Romdeau wrote:I must've missed something, did someone say Gowen got nerfed or something? If that's the case I'd like to wave my finger and say "Uh-uh, no you didn't".

Heh no, I think it's that some people were saying that compared to the improvements made to the other Spheres Gowen didn't get much improvement.
DWildstar

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm surprised there are still so many gowen players=/ A speed lawtia deck with fenir/succubus for night does very well against gowen decks.
Here's a question, in a gowen mirror what is your counter to blitz soldier? Nothing in set 2 can really stand up to him early game. Unless Weisser is packed as first ss, then that leaves issues against other spheres. The only thorough plan I've thought up is to pack 2 blitz just to backlash other gowen players.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby victorcarbon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 pm

well i did ok against blitz soldier with my strategy of Dancer/Exploding Spores/Salamander Soldier then fairy dance and/or salamanders

only thing that usually kills me against them is backlashes followed by blitz soldier

i got the pleasure of facing some great refess decks today, was awesome getting beaten by em ^_^
victorcarbon

Previous

Return to Annarose's Sanctum