Gowen mirror match

Strategies and Card File Construction

Gowen mirror match

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:25 pm

So has anyone found a reliable counter to blitz soldier after the initial kurina x2 backlash?

The only strategy I've thought of is packing 2-3 blitz just in case the opponent is gowen. Weisser as first SS could work but this undermines your deck against other play styles. I'm just looking for more suggestions/thoughts on this, as there are a lot of gowen players out there mirror matches are bound to occur.

Constructive replies please and don't go Gowen is overpowered blah blah-_-
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Re: Gowen mirror match

Postby teasel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:34 pm

play monk and give him a magic weapon,if you are lucky he'll either deals 50 (which put blitz into range of salamander next turn or just another bonk from the monk) or 60 (outstraight killing him before being able to do anything) alternatively you could go with brave soldier + panther soul but you need extra panther soul or at least dryad soldier in your SS or else he's gonna turn into dead weight as soon as he dies
teasel

Postby JudeBlack » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:50 pm

I normally just drop a combat monk and slug it out with the big guy, most people don't back more than two of the Blitz's. Rifleman Knight is also killer in the back row. :D
JudeBlack

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 pm

Monk + magic weapon vs Blitz, the turn you play magic weapon, your opponent will most likely be playing a card to be in the front row, so you wont be able to attack the blitz directly with your monk next turn. If your monk fails to kill blitz you've just wasted a magic weapon which is 1sp and reviving the monk is another sp. You're going down a bad path at this rate.

People that play blitz soldier after their kurinas usually pack 3, and really monk vs blitz is a joke, it takes you 2 turns to kill the blitz if you're lucky and he'll be killing your monk every turn, costing you 1 sp each time to revive. The salamander idea is not a guarantee because players will backlash your salamander if it means field advantage.

The more i think about it, the more likely i'll just pack some blitz even though i don't use them against any other sphere=/
Porky

Postby JudeBlack » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I actually don't drop a magic weapon on the monk. Normally I spend two SP to drop a Highland-Born Hunter and then Rifleman Knight in the back row. I lose a few units, but the Blitz Soldier ends up dead with whatever else he popped on the field.
JudeBlack

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm

do you rank it up? And i don't see how that's possible if you count the sp.
the turn you dropped monk he dropped blitz, you're both on 0, next turn you drop highlander, he drops X. You're sp 0. Monk has died to blitz, turn after that you'll be resurrecting monk so sp-1 and you're on 1 sp, while he either has a level 2 infront of the blitz or he dryad/salamander. So turn 3 you're on sp 1 he's on sp 3 *edit* He'll summon a lvl 2 most likely as blitz put his gowen down a level so he won't get a level 3 out this turn.
Porky

Postby JudeBlack » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Normally that's how it goes, if I tool my deck to specifically combat Blitz Soldiers I'll lose out on space for other things. So I just suck it up, try my best to play smartly and hope for a bit of luck.
JudeBlack

Postby KratosAurion » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:15 pm

I used to do something like this two days ago when i didn't have any blitz soldiers:

drop combat monk
drop salamander (left with 1 sp)
revive monk, drop lightning archer

and so on... i pretty much had to sacrifice about 2 monks but it somehow worked fine. by the time i triggered my first soul skill i'd already have a dual weilder on the way or something similar. of course none of this matters if you use panther souls or lightning archers, but I managed to win some games against other gowens by doing that or something else along the lines. You could even try dropping the lightning archer the 2nd turn and gamble, some gowen players play salamander after blitz so next turn you can put yours and kill the one he just put on the field.
KratosAurion

Postby thailehuy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:46 am

Drop combat monk
Drop Dryad, this way, blitz will NOT 1 hit kill your monk, unless he use magic weapon (doubt that)
Drop Salamander + increase your gowen level to 5, you should be able to kick blitz butt this turn, unless you are extremely unlucky (monk hit minimum dmg 2 times)

After that let dryad dies and do your stuffs
thailehuy

Postby Porky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 am

This is all under the assumption the opponent doesn't play anything. Prediction is a big factor when it comes to mirror matching, if he played a salamander or a dryad the turn you played a dryad you're majorly screwed. None of the solutions so far is a real counter, most of it is just a desperate move and hoping it works out=/
Porky

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum