blitz soldier counter?

Strategies and Card File Construction

blitz soldier counter?

Postby jasta85 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:53 am

ok, probably every 2 out of 3 games i play in folrat are against gowen, and every 2 out of 3 games against gowen the opening set up is with either the cat dancer and then blitz soldier (usually followed by a salamander but not always) or the blitz soldier first, then dancer and then whatever.

this makes a very strong starting base for gowen as the dancer is free to bring back, and the blitz soldier is the strongest fricken level 2 card in the game. most gowen players start with this, so i'm wondering what counters work well against it. so far i havnt been able to find anything solid with falkow without relying on using a soul power. with lawatia the fenrir first turn works ok, then bringing a succubuss out second turn to let him attack again is nice but that only works if both the blitz soldier and dancer are both in the first row. if the blitz soldier is in the second row i've only killed the dancer and the blitz soldier kills fenrir. fenrir also takes 2 turns to kill the blitz soldier so he usually dies at some point anyway which makes me lose an SP.

any decent counters to this gowen opening as it's very common.
jasta85

Re: blitz soldier counter?

Postby slashzero » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:41 am

Set Haste Turn 1, and on turn two (after seeing Kurina) set Witch. Turn three set an Undine or Sylph and return Blitz. This strategy kind of backfires if your opponent sets Exploding Spores second turn and then uses a Salamander on your Witch after that, giving you a 50/50 chance of having your witch killed by the spores if your Haste Soldier attacks the Spores.
slashzero

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:37 am

I haven't used Falkow in some time and I only recently started using Gowen but so far I'd say witch is definitely your best bet, bouncing blitz soldiers not only sets them back a turn but back 3 sp to your 1 sp used for Witch's action, thats a pretty significant sp advantage to have in the early game. If your opponent does go turn 2 spore turn 3 salamander then I'd suggest bouncing the spore instead (its a 1 for 1 sp trade off so your not actually losing out per-say), your haste should be able to finish off his kurina, and now you've got a pretty good field advantage set up. Since you shouldn't need to bounce anything next turn you might even consider playing a song sorceress to be able to permanently keep your witch going first with out repeatedly playing sylph/undines (assuming your running more then 1 witch of course, if it gets double salamander'd and it your only copy your out of luck so your probably better off trying to get something big out for when your last haste soldier falls).

Just some thoughts of mine on the subject.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:31 pm

If you don't have or like witch, a normal Return is probably worth it for the field advantage. You'll turn out equal in the SP department. Also, since he can't Iczer attack it can work to your advantage if your doing a skip or a level one to the cemetery to generate some SP from the Soul department, since it decreases his ability to overrun you and get in some early extra Iczer attacks.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Logress » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:31 pm

OH, and the Wassier opening soul skill also screws him extra hard because he loses an extra SP for his trouble then normal.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby jasta85 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm

hmm, i might try the witch, but i only have 1 and as mentioned before she can be killed by a number of things. however it might be worth tossing her in just to see how she works. i'll have to redo my deck again though as i am currently running a setup with a lot of set 2 cards so i dont have any slyphs or undines.

any suggestions for lawatia?
jasta85

Postby friedtofu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:08 am

My opening is Witch for Falkrow.

You should use her even if you have one copy.

Turn 1: Open - Witch vs Blitz.
Turn 2: Open - Undine and bounce Blitz. The other Gowen person will either play Salamander to set up 3SP for their lvl 3 guys or double Salamander your Witch.

From here on out, its all about momentum. Hopefully Witch or Undine will outrun their Salamander and you can kill it.

And its okay if Witch dies. You somehow want her to die. Leave a damaging SS in slot 1 for when she hits the grave.
friedtofu

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:42 am

If you only run one copy and open with it, what happens when they open with Kurina (which is most of the time)?
ANIMEniac

Postby friedtofu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Turn 1: Open - Witch, - vs Kurina, Combat Monk, Exploding Spore, Brave Soldier, Blitz Soldier (Anything Gowen Opens at turn 1)
Turn 2: Undine, bounce Kurina (Or whoever)

Can't remember who suggested me to run Witch. It was either you ANIMEniac or some other higher lvl Iczer.
friedtofu

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Silly me, how could i overlook just bouncing Kurina as well ^^;

Don't know why I thought you'd lose her first turn to that.
ANIMEniac

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum