Giant creature decks

Strategies and Card File Construction

Giant creature decks

Postby JudeBlack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 am

I run Gowen rush, all of my units level 2 and below, and lately I've been running into more and more decks with huge creatures. Mainly the new dragons that came out seems to be the flavor. They normally have around 13 LP and no matter what it seems I can't take them on with my fragile little guys. Even when my SCs activate and wipe them out they just regenerate their guys and proceed to decimate me. Has anyone thought of a viable strategy for taking these guys out?
JudeBlack

Re: Giant creature decks

Postby Romdeau » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:43 am

I am also feeling the pain with my Falkow army of lvls 3s and 4s that get rolled by heavy hitting monsters (esp. Gowens), but I've yet to discover a method to counter big monsters. I can't establish field position fast enough to counter with Vordore's monster attack boost. Another strategy I'm also frustrated by is the burning sun spore combo-which usually leads up to a big monster deck because they're unaffected (lvl 4 and under only-ALL OF MY UNITS!!!!). If someone has found a way for falkow to defeat this highly annoying combo besides to ANTICIPATE the spore and cast spell lock on the turn it is set, please let me know.

BTW I agree with DanTheTimid-playing with Gowen is like playing the game on easy mode (much less thinking for me than when I use Falkow).
Romdeau

Postby JudeBlack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:05 am

I agree, Gowen is easier to play than most of the other decks there's still some strategy on what SCs to run and when and what to burn. Burning the wrong thing can cost you the game, as I've discovered on more than one occasion.

But yes, Gowen is easy to play. :P
JudeBlack

Postby angelatheist » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:08 am

The way I've found to beat decks that put out lots of big creatures is actually not to put more guys out. Its to iczer attack them as often as possible and kill them directly before they get too many guys out. Also use assassin soul skill.
angelatheist

Postby GunCastor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 am

There's always the Ledgendary Unicorn SC. But it's useless against anything that doesn't rely on huge creatures though...
GunCastor

Postby slashzero » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 am

Assassin/Salamander Soldier SC is probably your best bet against high-level files. It totally wastes your opponents sp and is also usable against lower-level files. Sending your own unit to the cemetery can also be beneficial if you don't have any replacement copies, or if your opponent would've KOed it that turn anyways.
slashzero

Postby Phades » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:56 am

slashzero wrote:Assassin/Salamander Soldier SC is probably your best bet against high-level files. It totally wastes your opponents sp and is also usable against lower-level files. Sending your own unit to the cemetery can also be beneficial if you don't have any replacement copies, or if your opponent would've KOed it that turn anyways.

This is your best option, just play well enough to not have it backfire on you.
Phades

Postby Forsakensoul » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:45 am

Falkow: The only thing I can say is either use assassin soul skill or something like it or splash fairy dance to get your units HP's up. Other then that you really don't hold much choice. Most players play spores first then play the sun. If you see spores come out play spell lock the next turn to prevent them from killing you the next few turns. then kill the spores and do it again.

Law: you know that endless night deck you like to run so much. Read the succubus closer. If you get her out turn 2 or 3 and see someone holding 6 sp forget about your lycan and turn his/her sp to 0. You will stall most big creature decks like this.

Gowen: Firestorm and Fire arrow. Yes you have to pump your gowen level pretty high but they are decent options for you. If you play fairy dance watch for them to gain 6 or 7 SP and then play fairy dance. Your creatures should outlast the 50 dmg

Refess: Not a lot of chance here unless you are playing coatl and Holy Dragon yourself. I highly recommend splashing EX: Defau just 1 if you are playing Coatl. That way if they are playing something big like a 120HP dragon and your coatl seems to love hitting it and they love to sit back and heal it... well you wait til its at 40 Def and then Defau it.. your coatl now does 75 a hit and will kill quite a bit.

Other then that You have to figure out ways like assassin and its not easy to plan and time assassin perfectly with the big dragon unless you have it in the top 2 slots and dont get hit. Most dragon users won't iczer attack you they will use their SP for better things.
Forsakensoul

Postby victorcarbon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:39 am

ive gone as far as to burn a fire arrow and pray it goes off before burning sun does
victorcarbon

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 am

victorcarbon wrote:ive gone as far as to burn a fire arrow and pray it goes off before burning sun does

Unfortunately close skills do not activate until both open skills resolve, so even if your fire arrow resolves on the exploding spore before the burning sun goes off by the time the exploding spores skill activates all your units will have been set to 10 hp.

I've gotta say, I'm happy that theirs a game where big units are actually a viable strategy, but that exploding spore / burning sun combo seems to be over the top, there are VERY few ways of dealing with it other then having giant units of your own on the field. Should every deck be forced to run level 5+ units just to deal with a single deck? Although on the other hand, we're all forced to run at least one anti-defense card to deal with Lebeau/Alphonse so this is hardly an unprecedented thing. Still if things keep like this, in a few expansions half our decks will be decided for us with counters for specific ridiculous combos. :(
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum