Set 2 Card by Card Review - Gowen

Strategies and Card File Construction

Set 2 Card by Card Review - Gowen

Postby teasel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 pm

and it's time for a new installament of card by card review
*du duru duru du duuuuuuuuuuu duru!*
as usual first one to go is gowen ;a40

[card=229]Flame Emperor / Allind[/card]

eh i remember when nobody even dared to play a level 6... bring a tears to my eye :'( well this guy is quite massive currently being the highest HP creature (water dragon emperor has long lost the throne) his open skill is quite nice as 75% of the times it will blow up everything and after he hits his huge AT and decent agi will score at least one kill each turn,with his huge hp he's also really hard to bring down altough not impossible... his action skill is more an extra bonus thrown in there should you have problem with some high defense guy,as usual trying to straight removing him with cards such as mystere,assasin SS or merciless death is your best bet while if you do want to support him try to go with SS that will resurrect him like the new skeleton soldier SS

SS - potentialy life saving but it can backfire and turn your field into nothing but if that happens you were going to probably lose anyway so i still would run it

4/5

[card=230]The Crusher / Extension[/card]

probably the designer tought "ehy? what if rapidshot magic archer was awesome and it was a crocodile?" and so this guy was born,he's got enough HP to withstand an AT,his skills comes as an auto and deal full damage so after doing his jobs he can still attack and to top it all his agi isn't even too shabby... there is not too much to say,you play this guy behind your tanks and he will destroy the opposition for a very small price

the archer got better but this guy still comes out of the top imho... he also has a rival in dandan... well somewhat,the current dandan is so pathethic you'll barely notice any sort of difference between him and this guy

SS - same as thunderbolt,these are always good to have

4/5

[card=231]Fire Storm / Bander[/card]
eeehhh another brave soldier card,his stat are bad when not ranked up but gets quite big after ranking up and his ranking up condition is really hard to achieve so as usual he makes for a good panther soul target (or in alternative you could use dryad soldier SS but then why not run dragons instead?) with panther soul his stat will reach 50 HP 50 AT and 5 AGI which means compared to brave soldier you are getting 1 extra point of agi instead of 10 AT i can think of some situation were the extra agi would be more helpfull than the extra AT but not too many... his skills aren't too shabby but not really spectacular,the first one will let him do 10 damage damage to everyone,this can help for clearing against small creature such as great spirits or the new falkow archer but it's not something you want to do a lot of times,his other skill (which by the way can be used only after he ranks up) will cut in half the HP of every opponent creature... while this will punish big creatures (which seems to be all the rage these days) unless you got unlucky and got your AT all spread over the last turn this isn't going to kill anything and as such it's a little disappointing considering how hard and expensive is to use,of course this still will soften them so that your other unit might finish the job so it's not that bad but still i would rather try to go for the kill with other cards than playing him

SS - a better version of wyvern,actualy the extra 10 point of damage makes a pretty big difference... if you don't intend to play anything for the first few turn placing him on the 2nd or 3rd SS (idealy on both) is not really a bad idea

3/5

[card=232]Gunner Girl / Yuni[/card]
yet another cards that scream "GO GO PANTHER SOUL!" without rank up she's pretty much a crappier lightining archer with charge instead of lancer (a decent tradeoff if it wasn't that her normal AT is so bad) and an extra point of agi... when ranked up with panther soul she hits 50 AT and 4 AGI and becomes able to use bullet storm,if you have seen dalos in action you know how highly dangerous cards with high agi and AT that can attack 3 creatures at once can be so assuming you go with panther soul she isn't half bad,sadly unlike dalos she's incredibly frail and if she dies you'll have to hit her with panther soul again though unlike dalos she's cheap and can be used in a normal deck without having to include SP generation cards... if you go with the normal rank up her AT and AGI will not be good enough to make it worth the inclusion

3/5

[card=233]God Lance / Estoma[/card]
eehh he's a little frail for a level 4 card but on the other side he can potentialy reaching infinite AT which will definitely put a stop on lebeu SS and the dragons both of which are rather annoying to deal with,sadly most of the big guns played are also quicker than him so he needs protection to work... his other skills of being able to do piercing damage to a column will not matter most of the times so it's more like a bonus thrown in there

3/5 i would have given him 4/5 but his missing an extra point of agi

[card=234]Steel Bladesman / Bazgar[/card]
you can expect this guy to pop out in a 50% of deck which like to relies on big creature and well he's a decent one,his HP count is crazy and using great cleave (which by the way it needs errata as it will only hit engaged creature) he can also do some great damage which helps a lot against other big creature decks,shame his agi sucks but i guess you can't win them all

SS - you either hit devouring lizard/crest regenerator so they gets a 10 bonus point of regeneration or exploding spores for 50 damage a pop

3/5 nah he's not worth the 4/5 because the big gowen deck likes to either rely on the emperor or on the other cards we are going to see,still he's a realiable guy

[card=235]Fairy Dance[/card]
mmm no,it's not a bad effect but if you use this at most your creature will take an extra hit and you just wasted your 2 SP for the turn for something so unimpressive... i guess you could pack it against burning sun but then you would have to hope it goes off after the sun and not before so it becomes quite a gamble

2/5

[card=236]Ignition[/card]
the reason stat boosting card don't get played too much it's because the boost is gone when the creature dies so a boost which puts a creature on the verge of dying sounds really bad right? well you are almost right,while it's true that this card can easily do more pain to you than your opponent,the AT boost can be quite huge if used right... first of all you want to use it when your creature was near to die anyway so you aren't wasting HP... second of all,you want it to play it on a creature which both has high AT and AGI (even assuming you hide it in your back row it can always be potentialy reached by ranged unit so it's not a good idea to take the bet and beside why you would want to hide something with big hp? it should be the other way around) an high base AT it's also favorable so the boost gets really really high to the point you can take even dragon emperors in one swoop... sadly the only gowen creature which fulfills all these requirement is the earth dragon (which is especialy nice when you consider earth dragon attacks twice) which would make him reach 130 AT! ouch! other gowen creature which could be a potential target even tough the end result isn't that pretty reaching around 80 AT are

Magic Dualsword Wielder (80 AT)
Bounty Hunter / Elena (70 AT)
Monk of the Single Strike (70 AT)

monk of the single strike might actualy be a nice target considering after getting the boost he can use his skill for a wooping 140 damage and after using his skill he's as good as dead... other good target in other color are

Abyss Centaur / Dical (140 AT)
Djinn (120 AT)
Chaos Ogre / Dalos (70 AT + eventual bonus... actualy the bonus makes his AT skyrocket anyway so he doesn't really needs it)
Broken Iron Soldier / XXX (90 AT + row attack)

another good target would be regenerating units,but alas the lycans (and skeleton soldier) all have low hp so it would be a waste,zugateroza has a 100 damage skill... he doesn't really needs it so the only other unit which remains it's phoenix! which will reach a wooping 120 AT
lastly you could target fakow tank... while they are slow it's easy to enchance their agi so you can still gets some use out of this

3/5

[card=237]Fire Dragon[/card]
not really the strongest of the big gowen cards so you can usualy expect him to be one of the last to hit the field... his auto skill is nice but being so slow unless he's with other creatures chances are that's he's going to get trampled before being able to act and if you are running other creatures chances are that they are other BIG creature and that they will destroy the opposition before he's able to do anything... basicaly he's more like of a fallback should something bad happen to your earth dragon or other big creatures,as usual you should use revival SS with it or assasin SS against it

SS - not a lot of people play falkow these days and it's a gamble to use it anyway

3/5

[card=238]Earth Dragon[/card]
now this is more like it,he still retains the huge HP of the fire dragon but it's agi is on a totaly different planet,his skills give him an extra free attack which means he will probably either kill a medium unit or 2 small ones... this card is basicaly the backbone of every big gowen creature deck! boost his AT with a magic weapon or ignition and he's even better!

SS - eeehhh you need at least a rank of 5/6 to make this work better than the normal column SS and column SS are not that spectacular anyway...

4/5

[card=239]Monk of the Single Strike[/card]
well he's quick,got enough HP to withstand at least an attack and decent AT,his skill will let him reach the 60 AT mark (or even better assuming he gets some help) still if you don't use it his skill he is no much better than a ranked up highland hunter and if you use his skill he becomes dead weight therefore making him kinda unspectacular for a level 3 card

SS - same as sphinx,if you don't intend to run DF effect run him

2/5

[card=240]Volcano Giant[/card]
the reason cards such as the adventurer or defeu never got enough space in any sort of deck is because they never got anything decent to hide back behind them,enter the volcano giant... he's basicaly a tougher sea hunter... his extra level makes him harder to play but put him out of reach for cards such as pure terror and return,we all love sea hunter so this guy should receive plenty of love,he also happen to come in the color of dryad

ok i still don't have too much to say but it's sad to see that instead of this guy getting more play we are getting to see the sea hunter played less because of wizard kingdom decks...

3/5

[card=241]Salamander Soldier[/card]
gowen also missed decent level 3 unit and this guy takes the spot,his stat are quite decent but with his skill he's quite a force to be reckoned with as he can either play clean up or use his power to make him effectively a 40 AT creature which can then give the finish blow to 50 HP creature without wasting his action!he also combos pretty well with exploding spores as with all those 10 damage effect the damage will quickly rack up scoring you a free kill or two... his only problem,the skill is mandatory and if there is no enemy you will have to target your own unit,it's not uncommon to have this guy kills himself after he gets hit by a 30 damage SS and you don't have anything else to sacrifice

SS - it's assasin SS,rush loves it

4/5

[card=242]Dryad Soldier[/card]
i'm surprised nobody tried to use him as a unit,10 DF given for free every turn is nothing to scoff off especialy when paired with volcano giant or devouring lizard and topped with a dryad,his AT sucks a little but the skill is sooo worth it

SS - if you want to play the dragon you'll need him

4/5

[card=243]Rapid Growth[/card]
again if you want to play the dragon you will need to use this... the extra agi is a bonus in case you want
to throw some creatures before going with the dragon

4/5

[card=244]Lethal Archer[/card]
his stat are bad,a curse that seems to be common trough most assasin and archer so guess what happens when you combine the two? the skills also aren't usualy worth it... we discussed lancer many times already and i'm not going to repeat myself... as for the other one,first of all it won't work on creature faster of him which makes for a pretty good chunk of stuff you might kill,there is also no guarantee you'll get the right target,have fun paying 3 for killing a salamander

SS - nah i would go with the rank x 20 one instead

2/5

[card=245]Highland-Born Hunter[/card]
now this is more like it,his stats are already decent but when ranked up he gets tank HP,as such he makes a nice fit for big deck as their first SS is the dryad soldier which will rank him up (but not the turn it triggers) and in the meanwhile his tank HP will but you some times... he's also quite decent on his own anyway and as a bonus he even has penetrate! very good for a level 2 unit

4/5

[card=246]Unwilling Hero[/card]
well he makes for another "appetizer" in the allind deck but otherwise has no real reason to be played elsewhere... of course he makes a decent job in that deck

SS - same as BCP and witch... they have become kinda archaic thanks to dryad soldier but they can still get the job done

3/5

[card=247]Dragonscale Sword[/card]
well on one hand he has good hp,high at and even some df! on the other hand he's an agi 1 card and you know how much i hate agi 1 card unless they are tough to crack and are falkow unit and well now that gowen finaly got some tanks and considering they are on the same level as this guy,i just can't see this guy making the splash unless you are running him together with the volcano giant/devouring lizard too and needs the extra at... his slash skill ignores DF but at the same time is a bit more expensive as a normal slash which seems like a bad tradeoff

SS - ah interessing one... if you aren't playing with at least lv 5 creature then this is going to be equal (or even weaker) to zagar... at level 5 you are only getting an extra boost of 5 so idealy this should hits card like the dragons... the problem i have with this card is that skeleton soldier works much better as dragon support so he's kinda useless

2/5

[card=248]Gladiator[/card]
oh for f... sake,he's bear with 10 HP more and 10 AT less... crap card

SS - well it's dryad SS being 1 LP instead of 2... it can be a little easier to time but at the same time it means it will trigger first and you want to have as many creature as possible when it triggers,tough on the other hand this mean you can have the boost and the dryad in your deck too

1/5

[card=249]Giant Ork[/card]
eh... at first my thought was "what's the point of this card? è_e" then i noticed he ignore defense... ignoring defense it's always a nice bonus but the rest of the card is just horrible... standard "go down with 2 attack" 60 HP, standard 30 AT and crappy agi :/ oh and he can't even rest or move

SS - same as skeleton master,they are kinda risky and hurts when they snatches the extra copy you needed for a revive but at least your current unit on the field don't recieve any malus

2/5

[card=250]Rifleman Knight[/card]
i remember people complaining when a level 2 combat monk took out their level 3 tanks so what happens when a level 1 does that? hes stats are incredibly horrible but when ranked up he reaches the magic number of 50,that's the highest AT ever featured on a lv 1 card and as an added bonus he even has charge which mean he will be able to do 100 damage... just enough to one shot those nasty dragon! i'm really surprised this card doesn't seems to pop out on more big creature deck because it causes serious pain while she can just hide behind the dragons in the back and not weight on your SP count... hell at rank 6 even a normal deck could rank her up

SS - mmm no... extra range is almost always useless and if you want extra at why not go with zagar?

3/5

[card=251]Devouring Lizard[/card]
"ehy what if crest regenerator was a giant lizard? it would be cool! LET'S DO IT!"
well anyway crest regenerator was always a pretty good card and a staple of many lawtia deck,this card is equaly good... he's a bit more expensive but that means no return or pure terror played on him and as an added bonus he has a skill which penetrate defense on engaged unit,oh he also comes in the same color of dryad

3/5

[card=252]Petrification[/card]
eeeehhh you can see this as a crappier version of soul bind,or as a way to buy an extra turn assuming a creature is on your side of the field... it can also trigger a invisible druid SS in a straight gowen deck so it's not that bad but not really that spectacular altough you could abuse the fact that the creature gets agi 0 and hit it with mystere assuming you are splashing gowen in a falkow deck

2/5

[card=253]Gravitational Sphere[/card]
YEAH! NOW YOU KNOW WHAT IS LIKE TO PLAY WITH THE GIANT,AND THE GLADIATOR,AND THE ORK,AND EVERY GOWEN MOLASSES CREATURE! err anyway,it's not a spectacular effect because now the turn are based on random luck... it's useless that everyone now move at the same speed if you get unlucky and the opponent steal all your turn anyway,still card like this gives me hope for all the bad gowen tank that were made so far,it can also work as a splash for refess since they also suffer from similiar speed problems

2/5
Last edited by teasel on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teasel

Re: Set 2 Card by Card Review - Gowen

Postby Xovian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Fairy Dance
mmm no,it's not a bad effect but if you use this at most your creature will take an extra hit and you just wasted your 2 SP for the turn for something so unimpressive... i guess you could pack it against burning sun but then you would have to hope it goes off after the sun and not before so it becomes quite a gamble

You should talk to a few high RP players that run primarily Gowen before you say that about this card.
I think many of them would be inclined to disagree with you considering unlike "Blessing", this grim effects all of your creatures, and the more you have out the better, especially with some of the larger variants of creatures available to Gowen now.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Romdeau » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:30 pm

My one comment will be aimed at the devouring lizard (for now)-really, that's one tough tank to take down. That's his purpose, the attack is just a nice bonus. He does his job very well considering automatically how much he gets back with his 70 hp-your opponent will have to throw a lot at this guy to finally bring him down-leaving the rest of your army relatively safe.
Romdeau

Postby teasel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Xovian wrote:
Fairy Dance

You should talk to a few high RP players that run primarily Gowen before you say that about this card.
I think many of them would be inclined to disagree with you considering unlike "Blessing", this grim effects all of your creatures, and the more you have out the better, especially with some of the larger variants of creatures available to Gowen now.

i have played quite a few games because it's hard to tell something about a card without seeing it in action... know that in the countless amount of gowen player i faced not a single one packed fairy dance,neither the ones who were playing a normal gowen deck nor the one who were packing the dragons
when nobody plays a common card you can smell something is fishy about it
teasel

Postby Porky » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:06 pm

fairy dance is awesome! allowing all your creatures to survive 1 more isnt too bad=/
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Xovian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Don't know who they been playing, but they obviously havnt run into the nightmare of fairy dance and that freaking alligator yet (not the 5 star). Thing can be almost impossible to kill as is...goes off grumbling...
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Essence » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Fire Storm / Bander gave me a lot of trouble when I played against one. After getting torched by it so bad. I have to say it can earn a 4/5. Fairy Dance, I haven't played against one yet, but it could be useful. Especially since Falkow units will 1 shot your 30 hp units before they can even act. Gunner Girl was troublesome too. First time I had seen Gowen with such a crazy backfield.
Essence

Postby darklogos » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am

I've played against multiple fairy dances and lvl 6+monsters. It is sick. Also you haven't seen fairy dance spore yet have you. Yeah that's even more broke. Fairy dance makes those squishy gowen not so squishy. All things considered Devouring Lizard is Gowens regen knight with a bit more survivability. I've seen him act as a brick wall to some decks and go down fast to others. Flame Emperor / Allind is not that bad if you can survive his intro. If you can't then its down hill from there. That's a even better reason to pack fairy dance. lol.
darklogos

Postby teasel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:15 am

i'm surprised to see all this fairy dance love considering will of the wisp gets so much hate,ok sure the wisp gets only a single guy but at least you get the SP back when he dies or can use as a sacrifice/meat shield
teasel

Postby Candi » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:53 am

Fairy dance is an HP buff to *all* units, which with Gowen - and their lovely mass attack style - is potentially great.

First, it's a level 2 card for that it gets some kind of bonus. It's cheap, and you can play it almost any time since you get 2 SP a turn, so no saving required to play it.

Second, the hp buff is +15 to all. If you have 2 units that's net +30, three units that's net +45 etc etc.

Third, devouring lizard. As it stands devouring lizard recovers 17 hp per round. Fairy Dance it and you get 21 recovered per round. Super tank anyone? That beast is going to last and last and last - it's like the energizer bunny for hit points.

Now, for a comparison between Fairy Dance and the Will o Wisp. First of all, Wisp is a Refess card, though the cost to play it in a gowen deck is still 2 SP (1 sphere, 1 set). Will o Wisp only gives +10 hp, only gives it to 1 unit and becomes a liability on the field - it's a card you play early game or not at all. Fairy Dance has applications at any time you have 1 or more units on the field. Of course, outside of a Gowen deck playing Fairy Dance is a bit more of a stretch unless it's dual sphere, due to it being a cost of 4 SP, however it's still better than Will o Wisp, even for the extra HP. Imagine a Refess solid wall front line back by some ranged units that all +15 HP. Survivability just went up big time, which is huge for Refess. Think the same of a Lawtia board or even a Falkow board. Any time you have more than 1 unit Fairy Dance is a *great* play.
Candi

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum