Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm attempting to construct a viable Refess deck without Coatl in Folrart; currently, I have a deck incorporating Mayleen and Holy Dragon which has worked to some degree. I'm now testing a smaller creature Refess deck. However, both decks inevitably lose to a Brave Soldier/ Panther Soul combo. To be honest, it's hard not to click give up the moment I see the combo come out. Having to drop soul skills for the specific purpose of killing one level 2 unit seems wasteful and unfair. Any suggestions on how to counter that without sacrificing its viability against other constructions? And I don't want to have to spend money on getting Wasseir in order to counter this thing.
Jaroz

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Phades » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:41 pm

You could try to spore->burning sun it and get collateral damage in the process and then burn the spore to trigger a SS for x2 deaths on the soldier, but when the soldier hits the table it is usually early game unfortunately.
Phades

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Seems like a great idea in theory, but you're burning a lot of SP early and using a valuable BS/ES combo to take out one creature. If that's the kind of deck you're running, that's likely to be your trump, not a bailout. Seems almost as bad as blowing SS cards to take him out.
Jaroz

Postby Phades » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Yeah, but in a deck that runs that combo, they are likely to be rushing you with units anyhow and what you will lack in the long term is field control. The spore combo is able to wipe the table and potentially level the playing field. If the brave soldier is the only unit they are fielding, then you should be able to overcome it even with a couple piddly magic bolts.
Phades

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Don't stack the front line, I know its tempting with small refess builds since they tend to be so good at taking hits and their high hp and defense are wasted in rows 2 and 3 but Slash will absolutely decimate you and after your front row is decimated your second row is going to be your new front row anyway. Run Folrart Spiked Shield Knight and Folrart Paladin, both can take a Brave Panthers attack head on and live to tell the tale. Sure the next unit might finish them off, but thats one less unit hitting your mid and back row units who are hopefully capable of taking down the brave soldier if they live. Priestess of the Holy Weapon, Folrart Spear Knight, Light Spearwoman, and Ancient Spear Knight can all combine to 2 shot the brave soldier. Inquisition Raid leader or Priest of the Holy Word can also combine with Folrart Spear Knight to give him enough oomph to 1 shot the brave soldier if you want some level 2 options (and Light Spearwoman in play of Folrart Spear Knight if you use her skill).
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Valid point. Problem is I don't want to commit in full to a BS/ES combo-centric deck, as that would defeat the purpose of this discussion. Would you recommend keeping just one BS/ES combo in the event of a Brave Soldier combo?
Jaroz

Postby Grain » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:58 pm

Ah! This brings back memories...
Grain

Postby Phades » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Jaroz wrote:Valid point. Problem is I don't want to commit in full to a BS/ES combo-centric deck, as that would defeat the purpose of this discussion. Would you recommend keeping just one BS/ES combo in the event of a Brave Soldier combo?

There aren't a lot of fail safes for card combos like that within this game. I would suggest reading through the link grain put up to get a history of what has been discussed so far. Dan makes a good point about not playing a full frontline as the same will be true with lycanthrope fenrir, which will basically do the same thing to you for free.

I'd say you are feeling the sting of an incomplete file to really play the counter meta game, but once you get the couple things you are missing it should get easier for you.
Phades

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 pm

In answer to Dan: I usually don't stack the front line until I have some assurance that a Brave Soldier isn't coming out. In my most recent instance, I played an inquisition raid leader and an Enchanted Spear Woman (I think that's the name? You get the jist). Yet, a simple counter to that would be a Blitz Soldier BEHIND the Bravesoldier. The brave soldier demolishes my front line, whilst the back row units must have luck on their side in order to strike a Bravesoldier twice in a row in order to take him out. Let's not forget that most Gowen are going to pack an additional Panther soul as well, so I'd have to get doubly lucky. Throw in a Karina to the mix and all sorts of wishing occurs.
Jaroz

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Phades wrote:
Jaroz wrote:Valid point. Problem is I don't want to commit in full to a BS/ES combo-centric deck, as that would defeat the purpose of this discussion. Would you recommend keeping just one BS/ES combo in the event of a Brave Soldier combo?

There aren't a lot of fail safes for card combos like that within this game. I would suggest reading through the link grain put up to get a history of what has been discussed so far. Dan makes a good point about not playing a full frontline as the same will be true with lycanthrope fenrir, which will basically do the same thing to you for free.

I'd say you are feeling the sting of an incomplete file to really play the counter meta game, but once you get the couple things you are missing it should get easier for you.

Essentially, buy more cards? :(
Jaroz

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum