Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Phades » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Well basically you have a few issues going on at the same time. First, the initial "easy" answer to buy you a turn and slightly reverse the field control of the situation is Dragonrider / Wasseir. However, gowen does have a workaround for it, but even so you stated that you do not have it. Secondly, when referencing not stacking the frontline, you can also play "fake" front lines that you expect to go down and are covered with other range 1 units. Again, it comes down to having the right cards and playing them at the appropriate time.

Simply buying more cards won't neccasarially get you what you need either, so it is really hard for someone to say with confidence that you should in fact "buy more cards". It is easier to take note that you feel that you are missing pieces that you would prefer to play and are being hit with something that is considered rather potent.

Darn you grain for taking the link out... :oops:
Phades
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Grain » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Phades wrote:Well basically you have a few issues going on at the same time. First, the initial "easy" answer to buy you a turn and slightly reverse the field control of the situation is Dragonrider / Wasseir. However, gowen does have a workaround for it, but even so you stated that you do not have it. Secondly, when referencing not stacking the frontline, you can also play "fake" front lines that you expect to go down and are covered with other range 1 units. Again, it comes down to having the right cards and playing them at the appropriate time.

Simply buying more cards won't neccasarially get you what you need either, so it is really hard for someone to say with confidence that you should in fact "buy more cards". It is easier to take note that you feel that you are missing pieces that you would prefer to play and are being hit with something that is considered rather potent.

Darn you grain for taking the link out... :oops:


It was just a link to the old thread.

That one was made pre-expansion anyways, we should just let it fade back to chaos.
User avatar
Grain
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Jaroz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:20 pm

I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice :)
Jaroz
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Logress » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:12 pm

I usually like to put out a solid front line fighter (something that can survive one BS attack) and a throw away level one, like a wisp, both in the front row (wisp helps the first part be possible). Then If I have time before the Brave soul, do something in the second row, range attacker or Holy Weapon Priestess if possible. Now, our intrepid Gowen has two choices. Attack, and risk hitting the wisp, wasting an attack, or burn 2 SP to slash, essentially for no reason then to be sure of hitting the unit he wants. Either way, my front line survives, if barely, hitting Brave Soul for some damage. Then my second row bats clean up (or if that's not going to happen, an Energy Bolt to weaken him at the beginning of the turn in question). Next turn, the Soldier revives and probably another Panther Soul goes off. If Wisp was killed, he sets off a 20x level soul skill, killing the BS before he goes. Otherwise, the Gowen player still has two units to face off with, and has to make last rounds' choice again. Continue along this line, burning a Cure if necessary. I know it seems bad to burn cures and soul cards to beat out this simple, low level combo, but remember in the early game SP counts more than cards or LP, and we're costing him SP and minimizing the benefits he gets from it. When all is said and done, the fewer copies of your front line fighter and the less SP you've wasted the better.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress
 
Posts: 6314
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Grain » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Logress wrote:I usually like to put out a solid front line fighter (something that can survive one BS attack) and a throw away level one, like a wisp, both in the front row (wisp helps the first part be possible). Then If I have time before the Brave soul, do something in the second row, range attacker or Holy Weapon Priestess if possible. Now, our intrepid Gowen has two choices. Attack, and risk hitting the wisp, wasting an attack, or burn 2 SP to slash, essentially for no reason then to be sure of hitting the unit he wants. Either way, my front line survives, if barely, hitting Brave Soul for some damage. Then my second row bats clean up (or if that's not going to happen, an Energy Bolt to weaken him at the beginning of the turn in question). Next turn, the Soldier revives and probably another Panther Soul goes off. If Wisp was killed, he sets off a 20x level soul skill, killing the BS before he goes. Otherwise, the Gowen player still has two units to face off with, and has to make last rounds' choice again. Continue along this line, burning a Cure if necessary. I know it seems bad to burn cures and soul cards to beat out this simple, low level combo, but remember in the early game SP counts more than cards or LP, and we're costing him SP and minimizing the benefits he gets from it. When all is said and done, the fewer copies of your front line fighter and the less SP you've wasted the better.


Because it'll be the only unit on the field most of the time, for several turns? :mrgreen:

It's better than nothing.
User avatar
Grain
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Logress » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 pm

It works surprisingly well most of the time. Of course, it depends on what else he has out before, but once he starts the cycle, brave soldier, then Panther Soul, then reviving, slashing and more panther souls will eat up his SP and his Set phases so hopefully not much more will get out.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress
 
Posts: 6314
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Romdeau » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 pm

Logress wrote:It works surprisingly well most of the time. Of course, it depends on what else he has out before, but once he starts the cycle, brave soldier, then Panther Soul, then reviving, slashing and more panther souls will eat up his SP and his Set phases so hopefully not much more will get out.

I agree, this is the weakness with the Brave/Panther combo. People claim it is overpowered, but the Gowen Iczer is giving up a lot in exchange for 1 semi-powerful unit. Set phases dedicated to Panther souls, reviving when he dies, and his ability can't be utilized if he's rezing/re-panthering.
User avatar
Romdeau
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:14 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby Porky » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:55 am

Non-big Refess isn't a top tier competitive file i think, more experimenting will be needed on my part, but so far there is very little chance you can beat any big creature deck that plays dragon emps etc. If you tune your deck towards that goal then normal decks will give you a lot more trouble. I feel the pain of refess players :P After a few days I'm tempted to go back and play a more competitive deck such as lawtia. A huge set back is the lack of viable level 1s, refess level 1s suck. Splashing falkow or gowen might be the way to go.

Against your specific problem? I pack weisser as SS and erm yeah go from there, if you don't have it you could even pack assassin soul skills as they are useful in almost every situation.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
User avatar
Porky
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Australia

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby evaunit01 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 pm

yup...buy cards
evaunit01
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Refess Answers to Brave Soldier/Panther Soul?

Postby surignum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:19 am

i wouldnt even wait untill my ss activated, i would throw out a magic bolt or judgement hammer...but if we are talking pre-expansion.....hmmmm...id have to think about it........luckily ive got lawtia, and i can just pure terror the damn thing XD
*It descends from heaven:Yet it unleashes hell*
User avatar
surignum
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Previous

Return to Annarose's Sanctum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron