Man some falkow tips!

Strategies and Card File Construction

Man some falkow tips!

Postby chiyeung » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:08 pm

So i got my confidence crushed today by this 36-7 Falkow player in the crest arena.
He said i was a bad falkow player. My record is only 27-23 currently. He said falkow was a noob lamer sphere.
I didn't know how to respond. What a baddy.

I am about to enter the lvl 9+ arena and i was wondering what box should i get? The 1st? or 2nd set?
I currently bought packs of both, but I really have no solid deck strat. I've tried witch opening and haste opening etc. I even tried using archer of regus with two copies. I need some help =/
;a31 ;zagar
chiyeung

Re: Man some falkow tips!

Postby Porky » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:56 am

Falkow isn't the strongest deck to play right now. =) There are a few strats that work but needs a fair bit of rares/adjustments to style. Falkow may be rising once again!

One of the easier and most annoying falkow decks thats common in Folrat is set 2 focused, water dragon/emperor/renally, if you can get those cards, that is one of your better options.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby DWildstar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 am

chiyeung wrote:I am about to enter the lvl 9+ arena and i was wondering what box should i get? The 1st? or 2nd set? I currently bought packs of both, but I really have no solid deck strat. I've tried witch opening and haste opening etc. I even tried using archer of regus with two copies. I need some help =/

Falkow might seem now to be the lesser played sphere, but it's still very strong. I think the situation is just that there aren't many Falkow strategies out there which people are winning with, and until there are, people assume that it's weaker. I'd say set 2 cards would give you more options for new strategies because if you already play Falkow you already have the bulk of the cards and it will be difficult to get the rares buying set 1 packs or boxes. There are a bunch of set 2 common cards which can really mix things up (My current favorite is the Wizard Archer of Regus). Good luck!
DWildstar

Postby Forsakensoul » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 am

set 2 has a lot yes. I would def buy a box of set 2 you will be going for things with agi 4+ mostly. There is also a card that has 4 agi and gives all your cards +1 agi as an auto skill.
Forsakensoul

Postby EvilGenius » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 am

Sounds like a very rude player. I wouldn't put any worth into what he said to you. Just keep having fun with whatever you were doing. ;th2
EvilGenius

Postby Romdeau » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Don't let him discourage you. Sounds like a high'n'mighty prick that deserves divine punishment. As already said, it's probably much better to buy your first box as "Set 2" because the odds that your options will open up significantly is much higher-you'd only be buying set 1 for the nice rarities (like Black Cat or Mystere, which I still have yet to obtain 2 copies of either after several consecutive weeks of lottery/buying pack set ones)-and the odds are against you.

I'm old school and I've used haste since day one and will continue to do so until there's a better lvl 2 revive for free unit. Depending on the situation and if I know my opponents strategy and SC, this can vary (skip until wrath to stop my opponent's silly strategy of skipping/playing increase SP grims). The card is almost too situational but without it, I would've lost a couple of games.

Anyhow, enough of my rant. Stay faithful to the course.
Romdeau

Postby mewhooo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Hang in there! Falkow can be discouraging at times, but in other games you almost feel sorry for opposing spheres. I'm up to level 20 and haven't settled on any one particular strategy. One might be able to get a better record with a finely tuned cardfile and disciplined play, but I'm having more fun throwing new files together and seeing what happens. General tips on cardfile construction: plan your first 2-3 moves, even to the point of mapping them out once you know which sphere your opponent is playing. If a standard opening like kurina/combat monk or leonardo/shade is going to destroy your setup completely, you probably want some way to adjust mid-game. Plan your first couple Soul Card activations too. After that, look for 2-4 more cards with some synergy for the meat of your deck. An Azure Beastmaster to help out your Sea Hunter, or a pinpoint duo like Scythe Soldier + Swallow Scout with some help from one of my favorites:Wizard Soldier Apprentice. A word on him: he works especially well with Falkow whose agi advantage typically means you can use the ATK boost to take out threats before they have a chance to attack. Park last turn's Sylph next to him and you have a 3 agi attacker dealing 20 damage.

Another nice Set 2 card to play around with is the Invisibility Edge (+10 ATK, +1 RNG). The range boost lets you park someone like Eagle Soldier behind the front lines (and still deal damage if you don't want to spend the SP), either as a middle-row blocker for your way-back or just somewhere out of the way of your opponent's front row. It can be used to boost the range of a special ability like Wind Sorceress Femiel's -20 HP to all in range Berserk Wind. In general though, use it to bump damage of key units up: a Haste Soldier doing 30 damage can keep Kurina knocked out without a chance to retaliate. Since it is a grimoire, it takes effect when revealed, meaning you can get a jump on your opponent, maybe 1-shotting a blocker they expected to survive at least 2. In the best case scenario, this kicks off a domino effect, with your other units taking full advantage of an opening, for just 1 SP and one card selection!

If a cardfile isn't working out, it might be your Soul Cards. Are you getting field buffs on an empty field? Row damage that hits a single, high-def damage soaker? Wishing you had just 1-2 more SP over and over? By tweaking your SC lineup and activation strategy you can boost a cardfile considerably. For example, if you want to buff your field, try using Undine one turn, then placing her in the front row in the following turn. There's a good chance she'll get hit randomly, giving you the option of letting her die for the LP hit and subsequent SC activation. Take a look at what your opponents are playing, and see if that gives you any ideas (besides spending $200 on packs...) If you've got an Assassin, I'd highly recommend putting it in your SC lineup somewhere. Sending a big baddie to the Cemetery along with a liability like your last Undine can really help your game.

While you're still learning, take the focus off your winning percentage. "You Win!" might be a nice little self-esteem boost, but if you let the losses drag you down just as much it'll be a tough road. Go in with goals like "I'm going to try to get these 3 cards out together" or "Let me see how this opening works" and you can be successful even in a loss. Even spectacular failures can be entertaining. Good luck!
mewhooo

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Okay okay, I got some help for you. Works EXTREMELY WELL in Crest and holds up well in Folrart. The starter deck is missing 3 copies of alot of level 4 unit cards, but if you have them, you may want to switch out some of those 3s in the starter if you can.

First soul card has to be a +2 SP or a level up your Falkow sphere. Either works. So it plays like this. The SP in parenthesis is your available pool each turn.

1 - Undine (5 SP)
2 - Sea Hunter (3 SP)
3 - Song Sorceress (2 SP)
4 - Vordore (6 SP)
5 - Haste Soldier (3 SP)
6 - Sylph (2 SP)

Alot of people like to play the Haste Soldier first because she's so quick. No good. Most people will either play a card with more than 30 HP (Moonlight Warrior, Kurina, Blitz Soldier, Shield Knight, etc.) or put a cheap card to get killed and gain SP or sphere levels. Which is exactly what you do. Let the undine die (worthless card anyway), sets off the soul card for +2 SP, next turn Sea Hunter. Won't die every turn like the soldier, which allows for the sorceress to be safe (unless they have range attackers). Sorceress bumps the Hunter for initiative. Once Vordore comes out, you can either put a haste soldier out so it can do actual damage or you can start spamming sylphs (depends on the battlefield). So the hunter could get 60 ATK that turn or 80 ATK next with the soldier. Use sylph on Vordore so the haste soldier gets the buff, the soldier should always go first with 5 AGI and the Song Sorceress should also go off with 4 AGI early. So both the Hunter AND Soldier can attack for respectable damage capable of taking out a Dalos or Zugateroza or even a dragon if your lucky.

After that, it's anybody's game. The main thing is to KEEP VORDORE ALIVE! Keeping the sorceress alive is good but not crucial. It's good for an early lead at least. So replace your Hunter and Soldier with level 4s preferably, so they can't be affected by most grimoires and abilities, but 3s are usable if you only have starters.

As for the soul cards, I don't have a perfect strategy for setting those off, but I usually use direct damage cards to try and wipe the little 10 and 20 HP units that block the second and third row units.

Hope that helps somewhat. Practice it in the Training Arena until you're comfortable with the flow of the deck.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Postby chiyeung » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:25 am

thanks guys!
my record is 33-25 now :D
chiyeung

Postby SadistOkita » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:35 am

chiyeung wrote:So i got my confidence crushed today by this 36-7 Falkow player in the crest arena.
He said i was a bad falkow player. My record is only 27-23 currently. He said falkow was a noob lamer sphere.
I didn't know how to respond. What a baddy.

How did that crush your confidence? That only shows how much you can do with your own deck.
It is a very lame sphere and that's why you should pull yourself together, stop whining and copy that playstyle.
And because of the good stats, your answer should be : i can do the same! i also can win much!

You don't need to ask anyone on the forum how to play. When you see a better player just learn from him. First hand expierence is the best you can get.
SadistOkita

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum