Balance Discrepancies

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Balance Discrepancies

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Well glad I was able to be of help in spotting these mistakes and even more glad you guys were so quick to take action in fixing them. Also glad to know you guys are just assuming everythings going to be fine but that you're continuing to monitor balance issues.

I have to say, now seeing the actual effects, Witch Queen / Catherine still seems like the strongest of the lp3 cards. There may be decks where she wouldn't be ideal, but at least in this first set I'm not seeing many cards that involve interacting with the cemetery making her negative effect a complete non-factor for most decks. I suppose its possible in the future cemetery interactions become more important for more decks though and her soul skill's negative effect will become more significant.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:09 pm

I agree, she does seem to be a bit stronger than the others. I think to some extent that the usefulness of the level threes depends on you deck. For a Falkow deck, you're going to want as many copies of the Witch Queen in your playing set as you can because she's a great card that works with many different Falkow strategies in different ways. In later sets, maybe cemetery control will be more important and she herself will be less important in the playing set as well. I would say that Guardian Sphinx is pretty powerful too, especially if you're playing Gowen. Almost no Gowen cards have DF, so the penalty of Guardian Sphinx is not a big deal to a Gowen deck. Harpy and Skeleton Master are probably the weakest LP 3's. Really, losing AGI always sucks, and losing a unit card from your card set in the end game -- when cards are scarce anyway -- can really hurt too. Still, it's possible in certain decks that different ones would be better.

Right now, the only bad side about using the Witch queen as a soul card for non-Falkow is that it makes it more difficult to use the soul skill of LeBeau, which is a great end-game soul skill. In the end game, very often you find yourself with one big unit on the field and not much else. LeBeau's soul skill makes that one big unit super tough... turning him or her into a one man army.

As a follow up, I'd say the number one weakness of all the LP 3 cards is how awesome the Soul Skills of a lot of the LP 1 cards are. As for LP 2 cards... that's another thread.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Awod » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:43 am

I didn't see this brought up but I also have a question about Witch Queen / Catherina on her open skill Blue Miracle Drug

http://65.213.94.166/cardDB/detail.php?id=76

[conditional use/Falkow level exactly 2] Increase your Falkow level by one.

Ok, the way I see it is you can increase the falkow level of any level 2 falkow card. Which seems, all in all, useless.

I see 5 level 2 falkows in the card list

Haste Soldier
Black Cat / Fellana
Sorcerer Guard
Witch
Witch Queen / Catherina

but it doesn't look like raising their levels would do any good unless there's something I'm unaware of.

However if it was a card like this:
http://65.213.94.166/cardDB/detail.php?id=86
Do [damage: your Falkow level x 20] to one unit. <-- I could see usefulness in that, however it doesn't look like it would apply to this card, so what advantages does raising the cards level bring?

Thanks~
Eva FTW~
雲泥の差
Awod

Postby Logress » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:23 am

Hmm... "Falkow Level" is shorthand for "Level of Falkow Sphere of Influence" not the level of a Falkow card. I was thinking of writing it out to avoid confusion, but that would make the text for effects on cards that say "Falkow level x20" very long, and there are more and more of those as the game goes on.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Awod » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:30 am

Oh, I see. That makes sense now. You could also use Spheres like it says in the tutorial to avoid confusion maybe?

Anyways that makes Witch Queen and Djinn a very nice combination then.
Eva FTW~
雲泥の差
Awod

Postby reydien » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 am

Perhaps a short rephrasing could help, something like "Falkow Sphere Level." Putting the word sphere in the ability should help make it clear that it is referring to your spheres of influence.

As for the Ability on Catherina herself, it is also interesting in that it will allow you to drop a level 2 creature on turn one (Catherina) and a level 3 creature on turn two. Normally you'd have to either only drop a level 1 creature or not play anything on turn one to get a level 3 out that quickly. How much benefit this is will need testing (Catherina herself isn't exactly a strong first-turn drop).
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Allied » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Now what about char cards in your soul deck, Will you still be able to set them on the field if there in your soul deck, If not you can throw some into your soul deck to counter other cards, But there not really on the field so, How does that work? I have only played it at A-kon so im not to sure
Allied

Postby DWildstar » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Soul Cards cannot be played on the field like the other cards in your deck. They make up your total LP. Their skills are only activated when their individual LP is depleted. This is for units and named cards.
DWildstar

Postby Allied » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 pm

I know they cant be played on the field but if say you have a Witch Queen / Catherina in your soul deck, Can you play a Witch Queen / Catherina on the field from your Card File?
Allied

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Allied wrote:I know they cant be played on the field but if say you have a Witch Queen / Catherina in your soul deck, Can you play a Witch Queen / Catherina on the field from your Card File?

Yes you can, soul cards are not effected by backlash (character or other wise). So you can have a Catherina in your soul cards and on your field at the same time, but the Catherina in your soul cards still counts toward your 3 card limit so you can only have 1 other Catherina in your card file.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum