What does Der Freischütz mean, anyway?

Alteil Story Discussion

Re: What does Der Freischütz mean, anyway?

Postby donhoavon » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 am

Spears wrote:Diosaur dio is italian for god, saur i couldnt really get anything out of possibly solar in hindi or lizard in greek.

Nope. Actually dio is DIO of JOJO.
THE WORLDo WRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Full name: Dio Brando

Dio is some rocker
Brando is an American actor
XD XD
Pancakes wrote:I live inside the warmth of your hearts
What he didn't mention is that the warmth is the 100 degrees Celsius of heatstroke.

Peralisc2 wrote:my brewed chicken showed me the future
donhoavon

Postby Johnjo » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Eladin wrote:i knew it was german.
a lot of japanese stuff seems to use german in it...due to..what? (dutch travelers arriving there oh so long ago or something?

offtopic but ppl from Germany are called "german". Dutch are those who come from the the Netherlands (also known as: Holland) which is a country west from Germany.
Wow, so many stuff can be learned from alteil, its amazing! XD
Johnjo

Postby Arakis » Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 pm

That and, languages change over time. Just because Japanese has German loanwords in it, that doesn't mean they have to have been added before the Meiji Restoration. New words find their way into Japanese from foreign sources even today, and that's the case for most other languages in the world too.
Arakis

Postby Spears » Sat May 21, 2011 7:22 am

Johnjo wrote:
Eladin wrote:i knew it was german.
a lot of japanese stuff seems to use german in it...due to..what? (dutch travelers arriving there oh so long ago or something?

offtopic but ppl from Germany are called "german". Dutch are those who come from the the Netherlands (also known as: Holland) which is a country west from Germany.

Except that dutch is pretty widely spoken around indonesia due to colonisation, whereas german is pretty much restricted to europe and south africa.

With than in mind and the protogermanic roots of the dutch language i would agree with eladin that any germanic within japanese is much more likely to be originally dutch.

Also people from germany are deutsch.

Spears

Postby Khalida » Sat May 21, 2011 9:11 am

Spears wrote:With than in mind and the protogermanic roots of the dutch language i would agree with eladin that any germanic within japanese is much more likely to be originally dutch.

You underestimate the influence of german language. For about one century, german was one of the three languages (english and french were the others) that was used for scientific communication. This ended with WWII where english became the dominant speach in scientific written works.

copied from wiki: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wissenschaftssprache
Das Deutsche hatte später - beinahe ein Jahrhundert lang - den Status einer der drei weltweit führenden Wissenschaftssprachen (neben Englisch und vor Französisch), da im 19. Jahrhundert und beginnenden 20. Jahrhundert zahlreiche Erfindungen und neue wissenschaftliche Erkenntnisse im deutschsprachigen Raum entstanden.

Nach den beiden Weltkriegen setzte sich Englisch als in den meisten Bereichen des internationalen wissenschaftlichen Austauschs führende Sprache durch. Dies ist zum einem auf die Herrschaft des Britischen Imperiums, zum anderen auf die Weltmachtstellung der USA zurückzuführen und auf die zwei Weltkriege selber. Auch der Exodus der deutsch-jüdischen Intelligenz während der nationalsozialistischen Diktatur und der deutschen Intelligenz in den Jahren nach 1945 spielte eine große Rolle, da viele Wissenschaftler in die USA emigrierten.
Khalida

Postby Spears » Sat May 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Well if we are going to resort to wikipedia as source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gairaigo
now we are all right.
Spears

Postby Johnjo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:06 am

Spears wrote:

Also people from germany are deutsch.

deutsch is not an english word, thus people from Germany are called German, you dont call some1 from Japan a "nihonjin", u call them japanese. And thus people from America arent called Americans but U.S.Aliens :D :D :D :D :D (sry all those who feel offended by this XD XD XD)
Johnjo

Previous

Return to Steel's Campfire