What does Der Freischütz mean, anyway?

Alteil Story Discussion

Re: What does Der Freischütz mean, anyway?

Postby Arakis » Wed May 11, 2011 10:43 am

Dealing with Rip van Winkle and her penchant for quoting this opera in Hellsing is so far, the one and only time in my translation career I was required to visit a brick and mortar library because I couldn't find suitable online references. I wanted to try to be accurate not only with the English translation, but the original German text as well. And all this from a Japanese source. This job gets a little nutty sometimes.
Arakis

Postby hat » Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 am

So what's up with Francis anyway?
Anttila?
Weissvogel. Norweiden. Rougeerst. Bulerigid. Zu-Jyuva. Diosaur Volfied Jigglytuff BUTTERFREE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njYB2meovaw

Catch 'em catch 'em gotta catch 'em all. Pokemon!

Vonderam Esria Zangadylan SERgis
Ridrea Dista Safiria FAYTIS!

And now for the grand finale, in no particular order: Balzelda Zalzagul Lapierre-Aano-Emana Astaforse Miandela Echidna-Rasam-Bastandorra
Feria Galdirea Diondora Ladol Gilensa Folfenac Belltia Foveonsta Aliria Bistya Ainhazard Glosfiea Afeemina Gangadore Delrare Domina Mitzett Arthropleurid Durendal Noze Joachim Lria Mildoreo Mikasha Alvein Olvaus Inzaghi Rozari Vosrot Silverion Rileira ZUG-A-TER-O-ZA!

(it's Zang-a-DYL-an not zangledin like I always pronounced it in my head. props for not reading weird alteil names)
AquasFire : im not cool im weird

rsvlito : im wierd so thats cool

worthing : u scarred half the azn population away hat.....i now give u the title godzilla
hat

Postby Spears » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 pm

At a guess.
Weisvogel is white bird.
Rougeerst erst would be old english for before or first and rouge is red so you get the first red.
im a bit stumped by Norweiden but i think it might be based around the name eiden comes from aidan which is gallic for fire. So something like dark fire.
Bulerigid. Im fairly certain this is a combination of blue and the spanish erigir to construct or to build.
I cant work out volfied other than the vol being that bodyless wing insignia you see.
Diosaur dio is italian for god, saur i couldnt really get anything out of possibly solar in hindi or lizard in greek.
Sticking with italian for Dista we get Disto meaning i stand apart.
Vonderam i think is of the ocean. or possibly of dragon killer.
Echinda is a mythological snake woman thing, check out the thread on the lycans for more.
arthopeurid is an arthropleura

Some are just irl possibly with another meaning that i dont know of. Safira, joachim etc.

Bastandora. Plenty of meanings in here but I thinkt the main part is from bastion so either fortress or figuratively a defender of something. Then dora is a main belt comet.
Lado is side in about 3 different languages o i guess there somethign tied in with the compass points there.
Faytis has about 4 different english possibles to the fay part but i think its probably the same root as fairy giving a person with magical powers.
Delrare i think is from delirare a function of deliro which means either to be crazy or rather amusingly as hes blind to deviate from the straight track.
ima stop now as ive hit the forumpost full thing.
Spears

Postby garcia1000 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

How about Gafc and Lria? These names not only make no sense, they can't even be pronounced
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby hat » Fri May 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Spears wrote:arthopeurid is an arthropleura

I see...

Forum post full thing?
AquasFire : im not cool im weird

rsvlito : im wierd so thats cool

worthing : u scarred half the azn population away hat.....i now give u the title godzilla
hat

Postby Spears » Fri May 13, 2011 1:54 pm

No idea, gafc is the kind of word that crops up a lot when you use google to try to play jp perhaps arakis would be so kind as to give us a clue.
Not sure about lria i guess i always imagined it was L'ria that said if you are prepared to really stretch your entomology you can turn lria into 'to piss blood'

forum post full once i type a certain amount it wont scroll down and i cant see what i have written i know it affects some others too.
Spears

Postby Arakis » Fri May 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Gafc is definitely a cumbersom name. I translated his card originally, but as with many of our cards, the spelling of the name had already been determined by Japan and we saw no need to change it. The katakana for his original name read "Gafuku". That's awkward even for Japanese, and I'm not sure that it's meant to be a reference to anything in the realms of literature, mythology, etc.
Arakis

Postby Logress » Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm

I think Galfc is trying to sound 'alien' since he's from a planet other than earth and other than Lavato.

Arthropleurid refers to a group (Order) that contains Arthropleura. Arthropleura is specifically one of the giant Arthropleurids, so either Giant Arthropleurid or just Arthropleura (maybe Giant Arthropleura would be redundent?) would probably work for that card. Although, by the picture, that one is probably a bit larger than any one from earth...

http://walkingwithdinos.wikia.com/wiki/Arthropleura
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Godric » Sun May 15, 2011 1:34 am

Spears wrote:forum post full once i type a certain amount it wont scroll down and i cant see what i have written i know it affects some others too.

That effects m too sometimes, but i I'm writing something big I just put it in a Notepad file then copy paste it in.
[shameless link] I can still claim I'm a free player cause I haven't spent any of my money on the game, but instead I used Prizerebel to get my EX packs. Gran Train = viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11761
Image[/shameless link]
Godric

Postby Kazama » Sun May 15, 2011 1:43 am

Hello.

I think name "Gafuku" came from combination of 2 nick names of "Zhuge Liang"

臥龍(GA ryu) + 伏龍(FUKU ryu)
both of them, meaning is "crouching Dragon". it's nick name of Zhuge Liang.
story says he was genius strategist of Ancient China.

Reference
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_Three_Kingdoms
- http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1274&bih=751&q=zhuge+liang&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=
*Attention*
Forum is private diary place only for some people.

Don't write to forum.
Please just look and enjoy like the zoo.
and please don't give bait to the inside of cage.
Kazama

PreviousNext

Return to Steel's Campfire