Iczer Memoirs: Eskatia's True Tomb

Alteil Story Discussion

Iczer Memoirs: Eskatia's True Tomb

Postby DearestNight » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:20 pm

(Haven't been playing lately, and I haven't written in ages, so I figured I'd take a shot at it. Last time I wrote a story was years ago, so I'll try not to bore the audience. Key word being try....XD)

PART 1:

Anima was, and always had been, obsessed with whatever endeavor he undertook. Not long ago he had been chosen by the Goddess of the Moon (aware of only one half of her prestigious title) as a representitive in a time of ignorance and strife....an Iczer. He would fulfill his role for the fates just as many had before him, waging an unseen war that he believed should have been laid to rest for eternity. This much he knew and truth be told, it was honestly all he cared to know. Or so he thought. This existence often has a way of suprising the cold of heart, and opening their eyes to feelings and understandings they did not know they possessed.....

"Proposition, return."

A maddened laughter spread amongst the trees as the gambling "gentleman" as he had deemed himself, shattered into a rain of bloodied coins. Anima held a deep disdain for this individual and yet at the same time could never keep himself from smiling around him. There's just a primal, attractive quality about a creature who cares so little for life that experiences and memories are almost laughable to it. He considered this as he watched the coins creep along the dirt to each other like ants to a hive, reforming into the all-recognizable card form Iczers had come to know. Even in such a form, a delirious smile was painted across the Death Incarnate's face, knowing he would return.

"Now if only you could pay enough attention to your targets to get a single damn thing done, old man...." Anima muttered to himself as he stared at the card.

"I like him. He seems happy." A pleasant tone chimed in from behind Anima.

Dawn. Truly a one of a kind individual. Kind being the key word, as she'd be more likely to nurture the wounded, than be concerned with the outcome of doing so. This wasn't to say that she was an entirely calmed individual. He had learned very well that there are just some times you do NOT cross an angered kind heart. In many ways he'd be more willing to gamble with Proposition than piss her off. At her core though, she was truly one of the purest souls he'd ever known. Her reasons for befriending him were many, but his keener instincts always believed it was because of his namesake.

In one iteration, the word Anima is a descriptor for the concept "Her Soul". A philosophical belief that has stretched through many religions and occult factions over time. Alchemically, it is one half of a whole, as necessary as its other for a complete being, an equation later found in some forms of psychology. This namesake was given to him for precisely the stated meanings. To him, he was merely one half of a whole. The other, lost to him. Many would say he had been hurt, but such words never reached him. He had been ignorant, irresponsible, and without humility when it had mattered most in his life. Even if only he believed that, it mattered not. Only he would ever truly know.

Dawn was like the parasite that just so turned out to be the healthiest thing imaginable. Unlike most, she didn't waste her time trying to "save" him, or improve his attitude. Instead she had devoted her time as his friend to being exactly that: the best friend possible. Something that all people truly need in their heart whether they admit it or not. She didn't pretend to understand his troubles, and even though she wanted to, that came second to merely ensuring that maybe once in a while, he smiled as well. Did she annoy him? Constantly. Did she care? Well....

"Happy? He's a murderous, insane idiot. Calling him happy is downright stupid." Anima retorted with a a small disappointed motion of his head.

"Your FACE is stupid, and I say he's happy. You could learn from him ya know, at least he's cool with what HE does." The response came with a cheerful, careless tone, as cheerful and careless as a brick wall can be.

".....Whatever...."

As usual, Anima had nothing to offer in the face of her superior arguments. Superior in the fact that no words, nor violence, nor probably any God could change her mind or her opinions. That was truly the trait though that had earned his respect. She was uncorruptable, and unchangable unless it was her own desire. Something that he'd never admit to being envious of.

"Alright, we'll go soon kiddo. Just one more to practice with for the night....."
Be a craftsman in speech that thou mayest be strong, for the strength of one is the tongue, and speech is mightier than all fighting. ~ Maxims of Ptahhotep, 3400 B.C.
DearestNight

Re: Iczer Memoirs: Eskatia's True Tomb

Postby DearestNight » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:20 pm

PART 2:

"Eskatia....come forth."

The section of the Angeles forest that Anima had chosen was for one specific reason, and that reason now revealed itself. A clearing amidst a circle of trees, and at the current time the moon was visible directly overhead. He was male, hardened or not, and beauty was not a lost sense to him. He watched as the moon's rays struck the card he held hungrily, pulling it from his fingers. All sound ceased around them, the night shrouded forest brought to an eerie silence, as though all heads had been simultaneously bowed, living or otherwise. Anima did so himself, a practice that had become a sort of tradition for him.

"Stance."

As he uttered the word chosen as his trigger for the arrival of the unearthly warriors, the card shattered into dozens of black feathers that probably belonged to a bird not of our world. Standing within the shower of ebon was Eskatia, ruler of the Crest army. Her armor reflected the moonlight as simply as a mirror does the sun, intensifying it for a moment to near blinding levels. She was not prominent in physical stature, not some towering giant. No, it was her presence that called the night to a quiet, her feet firmly planted without fear or hesitation, her head held high. Or at least....normally it was. Eskatia's gaze was firmly locked upon Dawn, this being her first visit to one of Anima's "sessions". Though her head, seemed to the slighest degree lowered.

"This child....she is beautiful..." Eskatia whispered as she stared.

"Uh...thanks?" murmured Dawn as she shuffled her feet. First compliment from a spirit, not something one is usually prepared for.

Anima looked on in confusion, keeping his features as stern as focused as he had intended to be. Eskatia had not even acknowledged him yet, which was troublesome. Not because of his ego, but because of her usual routine. She always held to her knightly ways, always proper, always concerned with etiquette. Now here she stood, admiring his friend's "beauty"? He did not understand. True, she was quite pretty he had always thought, but Eskatia seemed almost stunned....no wait...ashamed, in her presence.

"Eskatia....what is going on...." Anima asked.

The Ruler approached Dawn, putting a hand on her face, or more precisely, examined her hair. Dawn had always been one extremely bright blonde, more of a gold if the sun struck it correctly. Maybe she had a thing for gold he thought, as he watched carefully. This was not a scenario he was prepared for, and to him it was a liability. A distracted ally, was a weak ally.

"Have you never admired her Anima? Beneath her golden threads rests a kind smile. A smile that is meant for you, child. Yet not once have you mentioned her, nor spoken proudly of her. Do you think yourself too strong or proud to do so? Do you have no manners??"

Anima stood in utter astonishment. This was not the Eskatia he had trained with. At first glance, she was acting almost irrationally, angry over a subject she neither had knowledge of, nor involvement in. His lips curled into a sneer.

"Keep insulting me, I'll just seal you back into that tomb they call a card." He responded with no hesitation. He was, to put it simply, pissed right the hell off.

Eskatia sighed and lowered her hand from Dawn's face. As she did, a few strands of golden hair remained between her gauntlet adorned fingers. Clutching them firmly as she moved, she walked toward Anima, removing her helmet. Words could never truly describe the Ruler. She had yet to ever remove her helm, and seeing her face, he almost wished she did more often. Pale as the moon that struck her, her skin almost seemed carved from a pearl. Her hair flowed like water, gray in color and yet as light passed through it streaks of some ethereal blue flashed within it like a prism. What truly struck him were the eyes. Pure, absolutely unclouded violet, as though flowers had been plucked from the ground and placed within her face at birth. Eyes that now, looked as though they wished to cry, yet were too proud to do so.
Be a craftsman in speech that thou mayest be strong, for the strength of one is the tongue, and speech is mightier than all fighting. ~ Maxims of Ptahhotep, 3400 B.C.
DearestNight

Postby DearestNight » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:21 pm

PART 3:

"That tomb as you call it is a comfort to me child. Within it, all is quiet. I cannot feel. I cannot see. I cannot breath the air, I cannot taste the wind. Most importantly, I cannot remember...." She spoke softly as she now stared upward at the moon. One rainbow like tear attempted to escape her gorgeous face, but was captured and dragged back by the simple act of a blink.

Anima prepared without concern to return her to her magical prison, but was stopped by Dawn's hand grabbing his wrist. She stared at him angrily, before her eyes turned to sadness upon Eskatia.

"So...um....who was he?" Dawn asked as she shuffled her feet. The "obvious" which Dawn had deduced now struck Anima, as he crossed his arms and looked away. This wasn't his business apparently.

"He.....was my Husband. A Prince, and nobleman. He saw fit to love me, something that I will never understand to this day. We sought that love in the remnants of past battles. Your hair....it shines just like his did. Golden like the sun, even in the darkest of evenings." She stared for a moment to the strands between her fingers, before turning to Anima. "Child. Darkness, is not without love or compassion. The night is not evil, though it has been portrayed as such too many times. All things are connected, and at some point cannot survive without the aid, care, or hatred of another. It is our hearts that bind us, and at times, shackle us. You show a blatant disregard for the compassion of your allies, and in doing so have destined yourself for defeat before ever making an attempt."

Anima's eyes slowly rolled up to meet the Ruler's. To be stubborn is one thing, but to question the words of the experienced was something he never allowed himself to do. It takes time, and many memories of battle and consequence to truly understand the graces of life, death, or even friendship. This he understood better than anyone.

"Heed my words..." Eskatia whispered as she stared. "Because of the mistakes and selfishness of too many, our past battles are now not only ours, but the conflicts of others. A sad fate. You may understand what it means to fight, but one day a challenge will cross your path that will rip away at that demeanor of yours and leave you bare. It is inevitable, as it is for us all. I am now trapped in such a battle. One you cannot yet understand. Just as I exist, so does he still, and our paths will cross. It is without question, and on that day, only one of us can be left standing. No amount of love between us will change that. And because of the circumstances of our seals, this can happen as many times as is wished by the selfishness of man. We may yet strike each other down again thereafter, and again, until the Gods have their fill. I do not expect you to understand. As a parting gift, understand this. Always remember, your power is not yours alone, and the decisions of you all may one day find you sharing similar punishments....oh, and as for your 'tombs'? Allow me to graciously make my exit for you."

A flash of moonlight struck the clearing, seeming almost vengeful in its speed and luminosity. In the blink of an eye, Eskatia was gone, leaving behind nothing, not the feather, and apparently not the golden strands in her wake. Anima stared at the card within his hand trying to take in all that had suddenly happened.

"You must be pretty pissed you didn't get to practice huh." Dawn sighed heavily, expecting the inevitable vicious outburst.

"....No." Anima replied simply, quietly, emotionless.

Dawn blinked a few times in confusion, almost like characters in the anime she so belovedly watched. In fact, for a few moments, she thought about how nifty it was that she had done so. She always was a sucker for cool timing in real events. Just seemed to make things more interesting.

"Time to go home." Anima grumbled to himself as he began to walk back to the road where Dawn's car was parked.

"Alright, alright, so I guess same routine as always, I take you home to brood, and then meet up at the same time tomorrow right?" Dawn stared up as she spoke, to be completely honest, bored.

"Actually....uh....I was thinking maybe we could like hang out or something. Talk and crap. I suddenly just realized we really don't spend enough time together." Anima replied uncomfortably.

Dawn stopped for a moment stunned like a deer in headlights. Her friend was actually being friendly. She pinched herself for humorous effect, before jumping on his back to his irritation.

"All on your own, HUH." She spoke into his ear with a smirk plastered all over her face.

"Exactly. Now shut the hell up." He growled out as he carried her off to the car. Normally by now he would have dropped her onto her **** without any kind of hesitation, but the fates have a way of changing things. Then again, so does man share the same power he thought. Eskatia unknowlingly changed the intentions of a young man that night, in a way that would lead to her own new experiences. Experiences that would forever change her outlook on the eternal struggle presented to the Iczers.

"What are ya thinking about??" Dawn asked, having noticed that Anima wasn't responsing to any of the rambling she began after his oh so polite request.

"....about playing matchmaker." He said with a grin. "Time to hunt down a new card for my file...."

-end-
DearestNight

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Without a doubt, I would love to read more of your story. I find it very intriguing and well thought out. Please post more entries when you are ready.
Romdeau

Postby DearestNight » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:03 am

Wow. Didn't expect a response. o_o Thank you very much. ^_^

I'd been considering following up on it, I guess now I have a good reason. XD. I'll get to thinking on it. :D
DearestNight

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Still waiting on that continuation, Dearest.
Romdeau

Return to Steel's Campfire