Make some smilies!

Alteil Art and Artists

Make some smilies!

Postby lupos » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Ok, so our stable of smilies is pretty sparse. We got the basic set in there and a few worthwhile additions but it could certainly use some padding out. This isn't any sort of official contest or anything, but if any of you feel so inclined to make some .gifs to possibly be used as smilies, here is the place to do it. I'd like to keep em small, Lapierre Sensei is a bit much honestly, so shoot for no bigger than the spheres:
;a38 ;a39 ;a40 ;a41
Try to keep the file size reasonable, but if something is awesome enough we may make exceptions.

Animated or still, whatever you want. No guarantees that they will be used. Perhaps a poll once we have a few entries to see which ones are well liked would be good. So, here's hoping someone decides to contribute!
lupos
Site Admin

Re: Make some smilies!

Postby lupos » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Man this sounds like an awesome idea! Here's my contribution!
;zagar

Yes I cheated and yes I'm impatient... I hope the few of you out there who fancy yourself ar-teasts are just busy or taking your time... anybody :|

Zagar will most likely not stay as he's kind of large. Or at least he will be resized...
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Well this is supposed to be animated but I must not know how to save it right.... I'll make more and post them when I get the chance this weekend. Also I spot Zagar in the Smilies list x3.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 pm

I admit I've felt the full size Lapierre Sensei smilies are a bit obnoxious in their size, perhaps they could be toned down a little.

I'm no artist, but I can work photoshop if you want any faces of alteil cards (current and unreleased) cropped and resized. It also might help if you were a bit more specific about what you were looking for cause even if I was an artist I wouldn't really know what you wanted me to draw.

I also think you should give things a bit more time, you posted this this morning, my girlfriend, who unlike myself does have artist abilities, still hasn't even gotten out of work yet. Its unlikely she's even seen this post yet or had a chance to draw anything during her breaks if she has.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:34 am

This wouldn't be a proper forum without A GOOD IMAGE HOST.
Last edited by Chronomaster on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby lupos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Yea, I'm not all about the large smilies, I just really love the zagar with flapping loin cloth.

And I know it's unreasonable to expect a response that fast, I just need to take the occasional break form work and I always hope there's something going on in forum land. I'd rather spend my time on my own forum than someone else's. :P

@chronomaster:

That's exactly the sort of thing we need, I knew you'd know. I guess I'm just hoping for some Alteil specific things to crop up. GGG actually suggested I make an animated one of the spinning loading ball that all the alphas got to stare at the one night we tried to play. But that'll take a little while to recreate or steal from the original file. I'll get to it eventually.

Other ideas that will be more likely once you all get to actually play:

"BACKLASH!"
time of day indicators
...?

I'm sure something else will come to me :)

EDIT:
a good idea is a good idea.... ;loading

EDIT AGAIN:
This seemed like a good idea but I dunno how to really make it usefull. Kinda fun though... ;attack
Perhaps a random card behind it?
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Akjeil » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:55 pm

lupos wrote:This seemed like a good idea but I dunno how to really make it usefull. Kinda fun though... ;attack
Perhaps a random card behind it?

Haha, I was gonna use the attack effect as my avatar (just haven't figure out yet how to resize it & still keep the animation).
-Akjeil the Un-Vincible

Lapierre Sensei promoting Oversized Stuffed Lapierre Head, now 50% off!
;a33 ;a31
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Postby lupos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 pm

If you have it I do all my gif animating in flash. Seems odd but I prefer working with a time line. Then when you export as an animated gif you can resize to whatever you want and it will restrain the proportions for you. Quite convenient. That's how I made this from the original flash file ;loading
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Chronomaster » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 pm

lupos wrote:If you have it I do all my gif animating in flash. Seems odd but i preffer workign with a time line. Then when you export as an animated gif you can resize to whatever you want and it will restrain the proportions for you. Quite convenient. That's how I made this from the original flash file ;loading

The problem with that is Adobe Flash's dithering algorithm (or lack of flexibility of) often produces unsatisfactory results. You'd achieve a better result dumping all the frames as PNG files, recombining them in a photo editing tool like GIMP or Photoshop, and using them to handle the dithering down of the palette.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby lupos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Chronomaster wrote:The problem with that is Adobe Flash's dithering algorithm (or lack of flexibility of) often produces unsatisfactory results. You'd achieve a better result dumping all the frames as PNG files, recombining them in a photo editing tool like GIMP or Photoshop, and using them to handle the dithering down of the palette.

Absolutely agree, though I use fireworks. But that's just one more step that I don't have time for at the moment. I'll definitely spruce things up over time though.
lupos
Site Admin

Next

Return to LeBeau's Studio