Is the artwork in the card list same as in game?

Alteil Art and Artists

Is the artwork in the card list same as in game?

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 am

So I've been looking through the card list as well as Japanese card lists and so far I've been a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, compared to some online card games I've played the art is still impressive, but having seen the original art from the site, the card versions seem extremely unimpressive. They appear to be extremely minimized, extremely reduced in resolution, and just sort of fuzzy, not the crystal clear beauty that is the art from the sites art gallery.

Is this how the cards actually look in game, or are the cards shown in the card list just sort of thumb nails for the actual cards which are larger and in higher resolution? Obviously they'll need to be minimized when placed on the field but it'd be nice if they looked closer to their original glory when I'm just checking out the card in my card file.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Is the artwork in the card list same as in game?

Postby Cyd » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 am

Hi, I've checked the card-list too, and indeed the cards look a bit fuzzy there (this was with firefox).
Then I checked the cards using internet explorer, and suddenly they looked a lot clearer >_>

If it turns out to be like this in-game I'll definitely play with ie :P

ps. if you want to see the cards without blur using firefox you can always right-click -> view image.
Cyd

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:51 am

Cyd wrote:Hi, I've checked the card-list too, and indeed the cards look a bit fuzzy there (this was with firefox).
Then I checked the cards using internet explorer, and suddenly they looked a lot clearer >_>

If it turns out to be like this in-game I'll definitely play with ie :P

ps. if you want to see the cards without blur using firefox you can always right-click -> view image.

Ok now this was a very interesting finding... however after testing it for myself I could not see any noticeable difference between IE and Firefox, nor could I see an noticeable difference between the default image and when I used "view image" with firefox. I do use firefox as my default browser but I'm not really sure why it would be making a difference, in both browsers the image still appears to be extremely reduced in size and (perhaps because of that) reduced in resolution quality from the original image
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Cyd » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:21 am

That's strange o_o; I've added a picture of what it looks like at my place:

From left to right:
firefox | internet explorer | firefox view picture
The one on the left is obviously worse than the other two.

Maybe Vista is screwing things up again.. (why wouldn't that surprise me >_>)
Cyd

Postby Kchark » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the comparison shot, that's really interesting. I never really use Firefox anyways, but now I guess I know which browser I'll be using to look at the card list at least. :P
Kchark

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:57 am

Wow, that is indeed quite a noticeable difference. Interesting to find out if it actually looks fuzzier in-game with firefox or if its clear like the view image load cause I personally prefer firefox to IE.

Aside from investigating this interesting new development I'm still curious if theres anyway or anywhere a player can see cards in his collection in a larger size, even in the clearer versions it still seems a shame that such amazing art should be minimized so much and it would be cool to have a way to check out something closer to the original artwork, at least for cards you own.
DanTheTimid

Postby reydien » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 am

Aha, figured it out. the card detail window is actually resizing the image ever so slightly: the actual image is 200x280, but in the detail window it is being resized to 202x282. This means the browser is having to filter the image up to the larger size, which obviously changes things.

Apparently, Firefox and Internet Explorer use different filters to resize images, which is why they look different. More accurately, internet explorer ISN'T filtering the image: if you look closely at the IE picture, there are four strips (two vertical, two horizontal) where the column/row of pixels were simply doubled.

If the American team wants to fix this, it should be simple enough: just go into the page for the detail window, and change the numbers in the image tag. Based on my casual glance over the code, it doesn't look like cutting those 2 pixels off will break the page.

Edit: what I find interesting is my copy of Firefox actually is doing the same thing as both our copies of Internet Explorer. Are you by chance using the Firefox 3.0 beta? I'm using 2.0.0.14 currently, and couldn't find anything in the options to change this behavior.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby gaogaigirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:57 am

I guess I hadn't noticed this issue as I've been staring at the high rez shots of all the art for over a year now.

I'm hoping we can get an artbook together in the future (thought this is going to be extremely difficult to do) so you can get a real showing of just how beautiful the card art is. In the mean time, we'll be working on making small print runs of the art for sale
(this too has it's hurdles since there are so many different artists to deal with).

Either way, we'll make sure Iczers can get their hands on some proper sized art in the future.

Sorry about the fuzzy issue, it's a new one to me.

Gaogaigirl ;a41
gaogaigirl

Postby Logress » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:31 am

If it's just a matter of the window size being a little off in the html, it might be an easy fix for Lupos. I'll run it by him. Also, as a work around, shouldn't turning the auto-resizing off in your browser fix it as well?

--Sean
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Xaxio » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:09 am

Umm...hi!

I don't know about the images looking better smaller -- when I put those extra 2 pixels smaller on my browser (FF 2.0.0.14), they seem to look a bit wrong. I think they look better before resizing. But here's a Greasemonkey script just for the card display pages. It reloads the image after removing forced sizes and prevents the reloaded image coming from the cache (just in case...? but not needed, since images are stored at full size...).

Code: Select all
// ==UserScript==
// @name           Alteil_Card_List_Sizer
// @namespace      insert_random_namespace_here
// @description    This script simply puts cards at their rightful resolution (resolution according to info in the post at hand).
// @include        http://65.213.94.166/cardDB/detail.php?id=*
// ==/UserScript==

var pictures, thisPicture;
pictures = document.evaluate(
    "//img[contains(@src,'card')]",
    document,
    null,
    XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
    null);
for (var i = 0; i < pictures.snapshotLength; i++) {
    thisPicture = pictures.snapshotItem(i);

thisPicture.removeAttribute('width');