Extra Credit Tackles Collectable Games

Video Games

Extra Credit Tackles Collectable Games

Postby Rasche » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Lets face it Alteil is a collectors game in where you need cards to succeed in the game. Whelp the guys and gals over at extra credit decided to do a two part episode on collectable games and there monetizing. I figured this would be something nice for the devs to look at, while they worked on alteil horizon given them something to think about. I also figured that it would make a rather interesting discussion topic for the rest of the community.

Extra Credit Collectable Games Part 1

Extra Credit Collectable Games Part 2

Enjoy.
Rasche

Re: Extra Credit Tackles Collectable Games

Postby KWerbachAlum » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 am

I honestly hated these two episodes because they didn't explain how it was good for the players. I find the Skinner Box and Microtransactions episode far better. In any case, here's a pretty good litmus test of how deep/competitive a game that advertises itself as a skill-based game but has collectability elements is:

If you took the best player(s) in the game and made him/her/them start new accounts without the power of their collected items, would they be able to hop, skip, and jump right back to where they were on their main account is? They may not have all the options, but do they have one good strategy that they can utilize at the highest level of play?

If not, then your game is a pay-to-win or grind-to-win slogfest rather than any sort of skill-demanding endeavor and you shouldn't ever expect a large playerbase.
KWerbachAlum

Return to Catherina's Play Room