What's your best video game related story?

Video Games

What's your best video game related story?

Postby edgarfigaro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 am

Okay so here's the deal. We all SAY we're hardcore gamers, we love games. We eat sleep, breathe, and eat video games. So it's time to put your controller where your mouth is. Tell us your best video game story. It could be when you waiting on line all night for a PS2 on launch night and it was 20 degrees out or it could be your story on how you saved all summer to buy that copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 or how you made a Link sculpture out of snow one winter's day. So get to it, tell us your best video game story. We're all ears... would thumbs be more appropriate?

P.S. Yours truly has quite a good story but will reserve it for later.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Re: What's your best video game related story?

Postby DWildstar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 am

Perhaps not my best video game related story but the only one I can remember off the top of my head. Sophomore year in college I was playing Final Fantasy IX. One night I pulled an all nighter playing the Chocobo digging game (KWEEEEHHHHH!!!!!!) and when I finally went to bed I didn't wake up until 3 or 4. My friends were all saying that I shouldn't sleep so much because it'll mess me up. I didn't tell them what I did but I said "Well what if I pulled an all nighter?" They said then it'd be ok :P
DWildstar

Postby lupos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 pm

I may have told this story on here once before but before I began my glorious carrier here at Media Blasters / Alteil I was working as an "Inventory Analyst" in a factory (I.E. I made mad fancy excel spread sheets). At some point working there they made the mistake of giving me internet access. I then proceeded to spend ALL of my copious free time online reading about video games, cause I couldn't play them at work. I eventually came across SPOnG.com, which I greatly enjoyed, partially for the humor of the writing at the time and partially because the forums consisted of only about 20 regulars who were all into actual discussion of games. As compared to most gaming related forums. So I spent WWAAAAYYY too much time there chatting about games. One year, when E3 was approaching, I half jokingly suggested that if they get me a pass, I would fly myself to E3 and help take photos and write articles and whatever. To my incredible surprise, they went for it. About a month later I was at E3, the second to last "Real E3". Since then I've been to 2 E3's, 4 GDC's, the Xbox 360 launch, and numerous other game events and press thingamajigs and I assure you it has not gotten old. I continue to meet great people who loves games as much as I do and I get to play games months before they ever see the light of day, which is still awesome.

Yea, I played Street Fighter IV in March of 08... WHAT?! :P
Were you there the first time anyone outside of 2k games saw Bioshock running? Cause I was :)

I really wish I had more time to write and will be kicking up my efforts in the near future. I'll be sure to post any of my future "works" here in case anyone cares to read.

As a side note I think my trip to the xbox 360 launch party in the Mojave desert is my most "extreme" gaming endeavor. Was a 30 hour party if I recall correctly. Starting Sunday evening at 6pm. So I got up stupid early and flew to LA Sunday (from NY). Got there in late morning early afternoon. Went and had lunch/dinner, drinks with some friends in the area. Then went and snagged a rental car (cause my ever reliable buddy mike flaked on giving me a ride) and headed off to the desert. Got there right after 6pm. Stayed awake clear through to midnight on Monday when they finally handed the things out. Got my xbox and some photos and headed for the car... having been awake roughly 36 hours at this point doing nothing but playing xbox launch games (kameo and perfect dark... ugh, though condemned was awesome) and "blogging". I did apparently pass out on a bean bag chair for about 20 minutes at one point.

By the time I was on my way back to my friend place to crash I was so tired I was falling asleep at the wheel so I had to pull over on a twisty mountain road in the middle of nowhere and slept for like 3 hours. ended up getting to my friends place just in time to drop off the bean bag chair I stole and almost missed my flight back.

Good time all around. Specially bringing the brand new xbox through security where no one knew what it was except, thankfully, for one incredibly jealous TSA worker who vouched for it being a game system and not a bomb of some sort.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:23 pm

The question is a bit hard. Everything i have to say is about quite common things that happened to everyone, such as the one dwild told about.

What to talk about? The many funny bugs in diffrent games, such as the one in robin hood where i killed an archer while he was climbing up the stairs and then he climbed them down and that only after he set foot on the ground he finally died?

Or about the many ridiculous parts in art of magic? Where i free some kids from their cage, who were imprisoned by an evil sorcerer and i was supoused to do it after. So when i finally killed the sorcerer my character was standing in front of the empty cage and yelling "children you are free to go now!!".
Or how that sorcerer was always saying "what is this? an enemy?" when he saw me. I kept loading the game and tried to kill him before he says that. Tried spamming spells but he always had to say his damn phrase! T_T Well quite hilarious to see him ask that even at half health (or less).

I could also talk about how i first boosted my action per minutes in warcraft (12121212121212121 ... ) but thats not so interesting.

or how i played super mario so often and always ended up at the end of world and got the message " the princess is in another castle!!!", i was doing it over and over again. Needed like 2-3 minutes to finish it once and was gaining lives. Yes i was taking the shortcuts but thats no excuse for the missing real end.

Other than that i have to say i love jumping from cliffs in games.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Gota » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Hmm, not so much a video game story, but it was a yugioh card game story in a tournament, close enough :P

I was playing this dude, he was arrogant as crap >.> kept talking during whole match.

He had a Tyrant Dragon and got me in a yata lock, which is suppose to be instant game over for me, but he didn't do it quite perfectly, he did it with the help of lightforce sword. Which ironically was used to lock my swords of revealing light.

Of course he didn't know thats the card he locked, so he kept running his mouth, blah blah, just give up, blah, you can't beat me, blah blah, I just told him to keep playing, he comply.

He just kept locking for 2 more turn, then on the 4th turn from using that lightforce sword (He had used it before he got me in a complete yata lock), i got my card back, and played the swords locking him for 3 turns.
He quickly shuts up, because he had no cards to do anything about it.
I remembered I drew pot of greed, and then graceful charity.
I don't remember anything else after that, but I ended up winning the game.
That felt SO good to shut him up, like you have no idea.
People next to us watching the game was speechless, I shook his hand and said good game, he had nothing to say.

That was the best :D
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby luckysvn777 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Gota wrote:Hmm, not so much a video game story, but it was a yugioh card game story in a tournament, close enough :P

I was playing this dude, he was arrogant as crap >.> kept talking during whole match.

He had a Tyrant Dragon and got me in a yata lock, which is suppose to be instant game over for me, but he didn't do it quite perfectly, he did it with the help of lightforce sword. Which ironically was used to lock my swords of revealing light.

Of course he didn't know thats the card he locked, so he kept running his mouth, blah blah, just give up, blah, you can't beat me, blah blah, I just told him to keep playing, he comply.

He just kept locking for 2 more turn, then on the 4th turn from using that lightforce sword (He had used it before he got me in a complete yata lock), i got my card back, and played the swords locking him for 3 turns.
He quickly shuts up, because he had no cards to do anything about it.
I remembered I drew pot of greed, and then graceful charity.
I don't remember anything else after that, but I ended up winning the game.
That felt SO good to shut him up, like you have no idea.
People next to us watching the game was speechless, I shook his hand and said good game, he had nothing to say.

That was the best :D

Ah, the Yata lock, been there done that.

Luckily I had Sinister Serpent, which he forgot, and i managed to stop Yata long enough to win :D

Because Yu Gi Oh has been brought up, I must share my favorite tournament moment: So, I was running my (quite evil) Level 3-lower Gravity Bind file. Except the opponent then Reborns my Hayabusa Knight, allowing him to attack. To make things worse, my Gravity Bind fails when the opponent uses Jinzo and then proceeds to fill his field with strong monsters. Luckily i have my Spirit Reaper to hang onto. It gets killed and it looks like i'm about to lose. What my opponent didn't know though was that I had amassed a ton of good cards. Suddenly, in one turn, I play Change of Heart, Snatch Steal, (stealing his strongest monster and my Hayabusa), and Injection Fairy Lily (my trump card and favorite card), equip United We stand and Mage Power on Hayabusa, and procced to wipe his field in one turn (no traps for him thanks to Jinzo backfiring on him), dealing the 8000 LP damage total, and winning in one turn. Epic counterattack for the win.

There was also the time I managed to win on turn 1 using Injection Fairy Lily with a combination of United we Stand, Mage Power, and Axe of Despair. 3400+1000+800+2500=epic win.

Also: Fiber Jar.

Man, i miss playing that. Even though i moved on to a ridiculously good Monarch file (still kept Injection Fairy Lily though)

Jeez, that game was broken as heck pre-ban list... and post-ban list.

Also: Lupos! Take me with youuuuuuuuu x.x
Someday i need to make it to at least one awesome video game convention thingie x.x

I shall now go hibernate and remember all my epic video game moments (for there are many.. so many) and recount as many as i can here shortly.
luckysvn777

Postby luckysvn777 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Let's see...

Epic moments:

Winning a 99 stock game of Smash Bros Brawl, Mario (me) vs Luigi (roommate) on Mushroom Kingdom with all items (super randomness for the win... plus speeds it up)... came down to 1 life each, with him winning by 3-6 lives the whole match.. I end up winning last second. The whole match took over an hour and a half. I have not played a single match of Smash Bros since then.

The final boss of FFX-2, playing underleveled, where I spent the entire match healing for my life and barely winning. Also, that happened a lot against the extra summon bosses in FFXII, which I always played severely underleveled. Always nice when the boss has haste and can one shot every attack.

I'll add more later

Also: for the future, I plan on attempting (with my roommate) a 24 hour, 3 heart run of Ocarina of Time. No stopping, no extras. It will be intense.
luckysvn777

Postby Gota » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

quickly gather all the bottles and bottle up fairies :D
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Zanador » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:03 pm

By far my best moment was in an mmorpg, named Mu online. For those who arent familiar with the game (as its pretty much an outdated one by now, tho it was fun at its time), there is an item ingame, the Heart of Love (HoL), which is randomly dropped by monsters, and if you picked it up and dropped it again, after a bit of firework, instead of the HoL, some cool items were on the ground (armor, weapon, cristals, whatever you need). It was a moderately rare item, but not for me, i got about 20-30 times as much of it that anyone else heared of (basically every third monster gave me one), so i ended up tons of it after each farming. Then i allways had to ask friends to loot for me, coz it took at least 3-4 characters' inventory to store and then sell it all. We did this in deserted areas, so noone could steal our items, but naturally, every now and then someone passed.
Eventually i stopped playing, but after a few months i logged back in for a bit just to take a look around. When i was walking on the field, 2 players went past by me, and this is what i saw of their conversation: "did you hear about the lvl150 Dark Wizard walking around in sphinx armor giving out free HoLs to those who find him?"... The only thing i regret is falling off the chair laughing, so hard i wasnt able to stop them to give them the two dozen HoLs i still had in my inventory (my warehouse still full tho). :lol:
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby Harion » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm

mine goes back in the older days of computing
when video games all look like pixelated blocks of moving objects

my friend had this game console which had
what was to become the precursor of dance, dance mix revolution's footpad controller
and as with wii's stick controller, there were games made especially for the footpad controller
arcade games like 100 meter dash race, obstacle race, high jump
basically, the concept was pound the controller hard and fast enough with your feet
to make the game characters run faster and jump higher
it had multiplayer too

so on my birthday (i think it was my 13th)
my friends and i had an all nighter at our house
and we stayed up all night playing all those games
it was so much of a workout, we declared it too tiring
and instead brought out my friend's tabletop RISK game
and spend what's left of the night playing it

of course what would an all-nighter be without endless chips and drinks?

looking back on it, i can say that those were the good times of video games
when playing together still meant at least getting together (in person!)
and bonding and socializing weren't yet reduced to interfacing with a machine and an online connection
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Next

Return to Catherina's Play Room