So today i summoned Gayte Guardian!

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 am

This is the card i am talking about:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gate_Guardian

So you tribute the following to summon it:
- Sanga of the Thunder: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sanga_of_the_Thunder
- Kazejin: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Kazejin
- Suijin: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Suijin

What i really wonder is what's the point of that card? I mean Sanga, Suijin and Kazejin are much better stand alone since they reduce AT to 0 and if they are in attack mode when they are attacked then it gets even better.
Is this card just about the big AT? There are so damn many spells that instant kill even strong monsters ...

I would rather try to get tripple headed white dragon out. :lol:
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Re: So today i summoned Gayte Guardian!

Postby Yamagoku8059 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 am

Hes not gay enough to be gay

hes just lame theres not even a good card u can combo with him XD
"Today I make Europe mine"
Yamagoku8059

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am

I'm pretty sure using gay as a derogatory term in the manner this thread is so far is against forum policy or something, not that it offends me, just thought I'd point it out incase anyone wanted to edit their posts to be on the safe side.

Anyway this brings back memories of my yugioh days, the early days of yugioh were so ridiculously unbalanced it truly was a case of a card company that didn't give a dang about making a good game, only about selling cards. Gate Guardian was a prime example, lots of ways the card could have been useful, heck if they just made it work like it did in the tv show (been a while but I seem to recall the 3 parts to summon gate guardian were played into your magic zones as continuous spells and then once you got all 3 out you could play gate guardian and have access to all 3 of their abilities) it would have at least been viable in a casual deck, but instead they decided to give it absurd summoning requirements and no effects. I never had one successfully summoned against me but if I ever had I'd have probably have just given the match to my opponent out of respect for their accomplishment, cause the cards themselves certainly didn't offer the respect.

On a side note, there was a time when I had become so bored with the imbalances of yugioh but still showed up every week because I was the judge, that I ran and successfully played on multiple occassions Sorcerer of Dark Magic in a Dark Magician deck. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerer_of_Dark_Magic

I do believe on every instance I got him out he was immediately destroyed by one of the many free "kill one unit" spells my opponent was packing, but I admit theres a certain amount of self satisification that comes with accomplishing something stupidly difficult purely for your own amusement.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Yamagoku8059 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Gate guardian itself is crap, the single part altough have more use espacialy the Sujin if combined with the legendary ocean field spell it only requieres 1 tribute and gets a 200 atk bonus.

but in general these cards are horrible =/
"Today I make Europe mine"
Yamagoku8059

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm

@Dan well it got erratad, so you don't need to have the cards on the field, at least that's what i understand from the new text, while the old text said all 3 need to be on the field. T_T
But still, i actually summoned them when they were all on the field (no joke, no lie) and it took damn much to do so.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Huh? An errata? Yugioh doesn't do errata. At least they didn't when I played. The english game had a bunch of errata, but that was because the translators were horrible, constantly goofing up effect text and making weird non-consistent "localizations" of words that were essential to game play effects. That weren't errata'ing to re-balance the cards, they were errta'ing to undue their own **** ups so that our cards worked like the Japanese ones did.

A quick glance on information about the card and I don't see any errata listed anywhere, still seems to work in the same horrible way. Still congrats on summoning it, if you were part of my old tournaments I used to run I'd have treated you to ice cream after ward as I often did when my players accomplished something crazy like that. I was particularly proud of my SoDM summonings cause they came during actual tournaments with money/prizes on the line, gotta be really gutsy(foolish) to try to pull that kind of stuff off in a tournament that cost money to enter. Wait, did I just call myself stupid, eh whatever, I had won soooo many tournament at that point I'd long since lost any interest in winning and was just trying to amuse myself and my friends anyway. Such is the burden of winning too much, at first people respect you, but after many months of consistently winning they start to resent you, gotta throw in some fun and losses here and there to keep up player moral. And in the end its a card game, unless your in the pro circuit its not about the money or prizes, it should be about having fun with your friends.

Since you've taken me down yugioh memory lane, heres some random facts from my yugioh years:

- I once had a player give me a game boy advance and a couple games for it in exchange for agreeing not to enter that days yugioh tournament. This was back when the GBA was still pretty new and valuable. I tryed to talk the guy out of it but he was insistent on it so I agreed. I don't believe he ended up winning the tournament despite my abscence however.
- I once won 80 dollars in a yugioh tournament and gave 30 of it to the guy who took second place (and won nothing for doing so as it was an all or nothing tournament). It was the first time I'd met him but we later became good friends.
- I used to give away random super and ultra rares to friendly players I beat in tournaments. It was usually only 1-2 cards per tournament, only if it was the first time I was playing some one, and mostly to younger kids who I knew would appreciate the cards even if they weren't all that great.
- I used to offer opponents I either respected or was friends with a "free 1 turn sword of revealing light" in every match I played in tournaments. The rule was simple, once and only once at any point during the tournament match they could call out "I'm using my free sword of light" and I would not attack for that turn, even if I could beat them in doing so.
- In all the occurrences of that rule, only once did an opponent end up beating me when they would have lost if not for my self imposed rule. I however ended up winning the match.
- I once had a player trade me a week old Nintendo DS for a couple cards I had, this was right after the DS had come out. The value on the cards vs the DS were roughly the same which is why I agreed to it, plus he was a friend and knew what he was doing.
- I once had a player sell me a barely used DS and the yugioh DS game for 50 bucks (the system itself was still selling for at least 100 dollars back then). He had bought the DS just to play the yugioh game and either had beaten everything in the game, or didn't care for it, don't remember which, all I know is that he ended up needing 50 bucks for something and so he offered the dS and the game. I later sold the game to a gamestop for like 12 bucks, and sold the DS to my little sister (50 bucks) and came away with a 12 dollar profit.
- I once had a player claim I only always beat him because I had rarer cards. I had already won the match but I believe I offered him a deal, we'd switch decks, using only cards from his own collection I could alter his deck a little bit, and then we'd play with each others decks, if he could beat me I'd report that he won our match. After a few alterations to his deck I preceded to beat him with his own deck while he was using my deck.
- There are 5 cards in the game that if you can only have a single copy of each in your deck, but if you get all 5 into your hand you win instantly, they are the 5 pieces of exodia. One day I was playing a young kid with a couple young friends cheering him on. Normally I'm pretty stringent about cutting and shuffling each others decks in tournaments but I figured I'd trust this kid so I didn't make a big deal when he didn't offer to let me cut his deck. The game started and he drew the top 5 cards of his deck revealing the 5 pieces of exodia to me. I proceeded to shuffle his deck very thoroughly in each of the next 2 games, beating him both times handidly to take the match.
- I once had a player backed up by a group of his friends claim a ruling that was false. I had more then just my knowldge though to back me up, I actually had a print out of the correct ruling from the rulings site in a bag next to me. I pulled this out and showed it to them, but they accused the print out of being fraudulent (cause I obviously could have fake rulings of every card in the game in my bag...). As a rule that I had self imposed on myself since I became a judge but was still allowed to enter tournaments, whenever a ruling question occurred on my own games if I could not convince my opponents of a ruling, I always ruled against myself, so I stuck to that rule and ruled against myself EVEN with printed evidence proving other wise. I still proceeded to win the match. (note I ruled against myself even when I knew I was right MANY times and won inspite of it almost every time, but this one stood out cause I physically had a print out of the ruling on me at the time)
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 pm

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Errata:Gate_Guardian
There's the card errata. You can find it when you view the card under "Other Card Information:".

Oh, well i wouldn't give cards away unless they are something like will o wisp and i have 3 of it. :lol:
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Looks like another "english goof up" errata, they're clarrifying that you can't normal summon or set him, that he HAS to be special summoned or not summoned at all. Other wise the rest is just a slightly more compact way of saying the same thing as the original did.

So in other words, it works the same as it always did, but incase a few people thought it wasn't quite as horrible as it really is (aka thought you could normal summon it, though that really wouldn't make it much better) the errata makes it more clear that's not the case.
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Well let's say you could discard to the graveyard the 3 cards (dont know if thats how its played) and summon this guy ... tripple headed blue eyes white dragon is much easier to summon since you have fusion substitutes for example.
And i really wonder why i should summon him if his body parts stand alone are much more useful. o.o

Oh just remembered Relinquished. A much better card, hard to time to keep alive but the reward is great!
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Relinquished
You can add some cards that let you select a monster from your deck and put it in your hand and then also play one monster that brings you the ritual spell card. So you actualy can summon him very fast in a Relinquished specific deck.
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby Otonashi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 pm

I think it's because Gate Guardian is an old as hell card. Way back then it was good, but the new stuff coming out just grinds it into dust. (Especially with all of the cheap/easy removal stuff... I swear, some of the new cards coming out are just as bad as stuff that's been on the ban list since the beginning.) I think they're just making new cards more and more powerful just to force people to buy them if they want to compete, so I don't buy them any more and just play online for free when I feel interest coming on.
Otonashi

Next

Return to Catherina's Play Room