Rating Card Game Video Games

Video Games

Rating Card Game Video Games

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am

Heres a thread to discuss some of your favorite card game based video games and maybe some that disappointed you. I'm going to rate them on a 1-10 scale, 10 being perfect 1 being terrible, but feel free to rate yours as you want. The only requirement is that the game can't be based off a real card game, its gotta be video game only (like alteil).

Baten Kaitos: 7 - Unique card based battle system, but the story/characters left alot to be desired and the battle system itself felt more like a traditional battle system then a card game. Still enjoyable.

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2: 8 - I actually enjoyed the first more then the sequel because they made card captures almost impossibly expensive in the sequel making mistake captures alot less forgiving. Both were short and had weak stories but the gameplay was a blast.

SNK vs Capcom card fighter clash: 9 - This card game for the neo geo pocket color was ridiculously unbalanced and yet some how loads of addictive fun.

SNK vs Capcom Card Fighter DS: 5 - Even if you ignore the glitch that prevented you from completing the game, the new battle system was inheriently flawed giving a ridiculous advantage to the player who went first.

Culdcept: 7 - It plays more like monopoly then a normal card game, and thats the aspect I don't like, that your die rolls and luck play such a large roll in determining who wins. Still everything else about it was awesome.

Urban Rivals: 7 - The game is ridiculously simple, with only 8 card decks and only 4 card hands. Still the level of depth to creating decks and playing your hands effectively is surprising. Whats more the system that allows you to slowly build up "clintz" to buy new cards with out having to pay real life money has drawn in lots of players so its always easy to find an opponent. If the game had better card art I'd probably give it an 8 but the art is definitely lacking.

Ederon: 6 - The game itself is pretty cool, the rules are very simple, yet the game is extremely deep. Unfortunately although you do get free cards at level up, leveling up is quite difficult and limited so you pretty much have to pay real money if you want to keep getting new stuff long term. The result is that the game has a very small player base and it can be hard to find opponents.

Thats just a few games I've played/owned off the top of my head.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Rating Card Game Video Games

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm

I challenge your rating of Culdcept as a 7.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I gave it only a 7 because:

1) Luck plays a huge factor in the game. In addition to randomly drawing cards from your deck like most games you move around a board via dice rolls, and on any given turn the difference in advantage between rolling a 1 and rolling say an 8 can be gigantic. I prefer my games to have as little luck as possible so that the vast majority of the time if one player is better then the other, the better player wins.

2) It takes a LONG time to play. Depending on the map and the number of players a single game can take up your entire afternoon. I like my games to be over in 15-30 minutes, not an hour to 4 hours.

I will admit however that these are personal preferences of mine. Besides I think a 7 is still pretty respectable, and its granted that because it is a very deep game strategically, its pretty unique, and when luck isn't making me its pet female dog its indeed quite fun. However I've worn the female dog collar way too many times and felt incredibly frustrated way to many times while losing LONG games against opponents I completely outplayed to score it higher.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Rad!oZonde » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:14 pm

Card Fighter DS went through a recall that fixed the problem

imo, the game is ok nothing all that great. And it is possible to win a match if you go second, it was how the AI handled things that made the game a bit predictable. For example: The enemy you are dueling has only one character on the field. You have 2 characters one with a bp of 300 and the other one with a bp of 1100 [yes it is possible]. You attack with both cards...computer blocks the card with 300 bp
The first character you choose to attack will always be blocked by the computer instead of blocking wisely.

I would like to play the physical version of SVC3 it stays along with the original game rules
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:47 pm

The AI didn't help things but that happens in alot of card video games. The primary issue for me (although I think alot of the cards were poorly balanced with most [] abilities being far to expensive considering you have to give up your ability to attack and block for the turn already) was the fact that your cards have summoning sickness... that lasts both your turn and your opponents! That completely negates the whole purpose behind summoning sickness. It means on turn 2 the player who goes first basically gets to attack you before you've had a chance to defend yourself. On turn 3 your opponent has 2 turns worth of attackers and you've only had a single turns worth of defenders activate themselves. And so on and so on with the second player always a turn behind his opponent. With the right deck you can win turn 2-3 every time as long as you reset until you get to go first. In there attempt to make things more balanced they succeeded in making things horribly unbalanced.
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:02 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:1) Luck plays a huge factor in the game. In addition to randomly drawing cards from your deck like most games you move around a board via dice rolls, and on any given turn the difference in advantage between rolling a 1 and rolling say an 8 can be gigantic. I prefer my games to have as little luck as possible so that the vast majority of the time if one player is better then the other, the better player wins.

You haven't played it online much, have you?

Back in the first US Culdcept, my group was pretty hardcore on this game. Wins and losses were pretty consistent between the same decks. If you knew how to hold your ground, and get people to land on your ground, then you were winning.

There's always a way out of bad luck in Culdcept. Thing is, your book has to be built to take a hit every once in a while. If you're just focusing on winning, you're not going to win. You're better off making your opponents lose.

You have to turn those bad rolls into an opportunity to take over an opponent's land, is all.

Also, 1100 BP isn't hard to do. The old game had a Terry which started out at 1000 BP. R. Mika can continue to gain ridiculous amounts of BP over time. I've gotten her past 2000 with the help of Mr. Big and other boosters.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 pm

You, good sir, have just given me a quote worthy of my signature.

Again don't get me wrong, with a strong deck and strong play you can have a strong influence on how successful you are, and I myself tend to build my deck with as many spells that rig rolls as possible to ensure I get good ones and they get inconvenient ones. It doesn't change the fact that luck still plays a stronger role then in most card games. If luck does tend to even out at all its only because of my other complaint, that games tend to go on for a very VERY long time.
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:53 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:You, good sir, have just given me a quote worthy of my signature.

Whatever makes you happy, and makes me sound COMPLETELY INSANE.
If luck does tend to even out at all its only because of my other complaint, that games tend to go on for a very VERY long time.

Well, I can't argue with that. My Spell decks tend to be a pain in the **** to play 1v1, and I've drawn normal games out to nearly 100 rounds. :D

Haha wordfilters, you got me. ;D
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Rad!oZonde » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:16 pm

chronomaster wrote:
Also, 1100 BP isn't hard to do. The old game had a Terry which started out at 1000 BP. R. Mika can continue to gain ridiculous amounts of BP over time. I've gotten her past 2000 with the help of Mr. Big and other boosters.

Terry: ARE YOU OK?!?!

Me: oh no terry remember what happened the last time you asked me that?

Terry: Get SERIOUS!!!

Me: I am serious Terry, you always ask that question then right afterwards...

Terry: COME ON! COME ON!

Me: Let me finish Terry, and whenever I am about to answer you you always go 'BUST WOLF!' and beat the crap out of me

Terry: ... GET SERIOUS!

Me: :sigh:

[sorry everyone I couldn't contain myself]

I still have the old SVC game somewhere around here. I should start playing it again, man where have all the awesome game ideas left to?
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby zalphor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 pm

uh i know this is probably just on a limb here but, what about phantom dust for xbox, i thought it was quite enjoyable my favorite spell school was faith(heh muramasa sword yay)
zalphor

Next

Return to Catherina's Play Room