Rating Card Game Video Games

Video Games

Re: Rating Card Game Video Games

Postby Rad!oZonde » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:53 am

zalphor wrote:uh i know this is probably just on a limb here but, what about phantom dust for xbox, i thought it was quite enjoyable my favorite spell school was faith(heh muramasa sword yay)

hm very interesting view on that.

Though it's not really considered a 'card video game' Most of the game play resembles card game mechanics. You have to arrange a case of abilities [like how you add cards to a deck]. You have to spend aura to use the abilities[like magic the gathering mana spending]

all in all a game game. Though the debate on what to call it is still in the air...
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby zalphor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:26 am

how about calling it active turnless card game with action based controls
zalphor

Postby Kyoshi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 pm

I always read about Phantom Dust as a game that was card based. They always talked about how you put together a "deck" just like a card game and then play the game with this deck and energies then when you run out of cards you don't automatically lose but continue to have your life points drained.

[card=4]Random Card of Dust!?[/card]
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Rad!oZonde » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 am

Kyoshi wrote:I always read about Phantom Dust as a game that was card based. They always talked about how you put together a "deck" just like a card game and then play the game with this deck and energies then when you run out of cards you don't automatically lose but continue to have your life points drained.

[card=4]Random Card of Dust!?[/card]

gah that reminded me

there is a time limit for each match, if it takes more than 15mins to beat a level you lose your memory or something like that. I'm not sure if the game file erases or what [I'm really not willing to test that out lol]
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Rad!oZonde wrote:gah that reminded me

there is a time limit for each match, if it takes more than 15mins to beat a level you lose your memory or something like that. I'm not sure if the game file erases or what [I'm really not willing to test that out lol]

I think it was to the effect of the game ended and you had to retry that mission or you hit a sudden death type thing where your health constantly drains. I actually feel like pulling that game out of its drawer and playing it.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Hakuro de Killer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Any Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG video game that stayed true to the initial rules? 10/10 just for that. Any that use the whole "Dark Duel Stories" ruleset, 6/10 because, while the rules were hard to figure out, the ruleset was rather unique and, in some cases, a refreshing break from the canon rules.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories: 8/10. The game is freaking fantastic and would have gotten a 10 if I didn't get carpal tunnel due to the most vital controls being the L and R buttons on my GBA.
Hakuro de Killer

Previous

Return to Catherina's Play Room