Zanador wrote:There has been several attempts to make a standalone game of DotA instead of a single warcraft map.. I didnt take a look at most of them, but how is this LoL better than for example Demigod?
[From LoL Website]
Who are the people behind League of Legends?
The League of Legends development team includes Steve “Guinsoo” Feak, the original creator of DotA Allstars, and Steve “Pendragon” Mescon who started DotA-Allstars.com, and Tom “Zileas” Cadwell, former Blizzard Play Balance Lead for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, and a key designer on World of Warcraft.
Why should I play League of Legends if I can just play DotA?
• Automated matchmaking, to make finding a good game easy
• The ability to reconnect to games if you have disconnected
• Completely new and original playable champions
• Client-server network model with no host advantage
• Advanced stat tracking
• Built-in surrender functionality
• In-game interface and controls designed for this style of play
• Account-level progression, adding out-of-game strategic depth and customization, known as the summoner system
• An improved mini-map that shows your Champions pathing
• Multiple maps, (Summoner's Rift, Summoner's Rift: Winter, Twisted Treeline, The Proving Grounds)
• Features that make teaching the game to your friends easier, (game tutorial, bots, suggested items)
• League of Legends is more aggressive – DotA includes many mechanics that incent defensive behavior. We want players to get right into the action, so we’ve made being more aggressive more rewarding such as increasing gold earned from Champion kills and assists. Top-level games often include 5v5 battles at level 1 with both sides competing for team objectives
• League of Legends is more active – shorter ability cooldowns, and bigger mana pools, ensuring that you’re always able to do more than passive right clicking. This makes the game feel more active, and makes the average game shorter. Good players start using spells aggressively right at the beginning of the game.
• League of Legends is less random – In DotA, many abilities, runes, physical attacks, and terrain mechanics have a random component to them. We’ve removed many of the random elements of DotA's gameplay to make you more reliant on skill instead of luck.
• League of Legends has Brush – In League of Legends, Brush is a tall grassy terrain that provides a Champion with a form of invisibility, you can see out of it but enemies can’t see in! It’s great for ganking and juking.