League of Legends

Video Games

Re: who want to play another kind of free dota

Postby InigoMontoya » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:And why did you call it FREE? What makes the common dota NOT FREE? The war3 dota is completely free. O_o

It's free because you do not need to own Warcraft III. LOL is not a mod - you download it as a stand alone product.

DotA is not completely free as it is a mod of Warcraft III.
InigoMontoya

Re: who want to play free dota

Postby InigoMontoya » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Zanador wrote:There has been several attempts to make a standalone game of DotA instead of a single warcraft map.. I didnt take a look at most of them, but how is this LoL better than for example Demigod?

[From LoL Website]
Who are the people behind League of Legends?
The League of Legends development team includes Steve “Guinsoo” Feak, the original creator of DotA Allstars, and Steve “Pendragon” Mescon who started DotA-Allstars.com, and Tom “Zileas” Cadwell, former Blizzard Play Balance Lead for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, and a key designer on World of Warcraft.

Why should I play League of Legends if I can just play DotA?
• Automated matchmaking, to make finding a good game easy
• The ability to reconnect to games if you have disconnected
• Completely new and original playable champions
• Client-server network model with no host advantage
• Advanced stat tracking
• Built-in surrender functionality
• In-game interface and controls designed for this style of play
• Account-level progression, adding out-of-game strategic depth and customization, known as the summoner system
• An improved mini-map that shows your Champions pathing
• Multiple maps, (Summoner's Rift, Summoner's Rift: Winter, Twisted Treeline, The Proving Grounds)
• Features that make teaching the game to your friends easier, (game tutorial, bots, suggested items)
• League of Legends is more aggressive – DotA includes many mechanics that incent defensive behavior. We want players to get right into the action, so we’ve made being more aggressive more rewarding such as increasing gold earned from Champion kills and assists. Top-level games often include 5v5 battles at level 1 with both sides competing for team objectives
• League of Legends is more active – shorter ability cooldowns, and bigger mana pools, ensuring that you’re always able to do more than passive right clicking. This makes the game feel more active, and makes the average game shorter. Good players start using spells aggressively right at the beginning of the game.
• League of Legends is less random – In DotA, many abilities, runes, physical attacks, and terrain mechanics have a random component to them. We’ve removed many of the random elements of DotA's gameplay to make you more reliant on skill instead of luck.
• League of Legends has Brush – In League of Legends, Brush is a tall grassy terrain that provides a Champion with a form of invisibility, you can see out of it but enemies can’t see in! It’s great for ganking and juking.
InigoMontoya

Postby Pancakes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:57 am

I am downloading this game right now.
I can only use Bringer, BKR Jack, and returns cuz I'm a free player. It's my best shot at winning!
Pancakes

Re: who want to play another kind of free dota

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 am

InigoMontoya wrote:It's free because you do not need to own Warcraft III. LOL is not a mod - you download it as a stand alone product.

DotA is not completely free as it is a mod of Warcraft III.

You go play on GGarena or Eurobattle > Free!

And i guess those are a lot of good points listed to play the "stand-alone" Dota game.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby InigoMontoya » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 am

Try it out and let us know what you think. I'm enjoying it!
InigoMontoya

Postby Romdeau » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:46 pm

I have already downloaded this game and I love it.
Romdeau

Postby Artist » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 pm

As a gamer I'm almost ashamed to say I've never actually played dota before. It looks/feels just like any other mod for starcraft or something, why is it so popular to the extent that it's actually made into a real game?
Artist

Postby Otonashi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm

I have no idea. :X I personally never saw the appeal of dota. (Yes I do own WCIII). I tried League of Legends before too, but it hardly seemed different than the WCIII mod and just as uninteresting.
Otonashi

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 am

Artist wrote:As a gamer I'm almost ashamed to say I've never actually played dota before. It looks/feels just like any other mod for starcraft or something, why is it so popular to the extent that it's actually made into a real game?

Because of the ... people.
And don't be ashamed, really it ain't that great of a game, but ... at times it might be lots of fun, while most of the time it's just "last hit - deny" and KS to brag or pimp your hero to brag.

I asked around all people i know to join too, but half didn't answer and the other half that did answer and checked out the game said it's crap (and there dota players that play for fun or even at a bit more competitive level too among those). Guess RPGs get more and more popular these days (no idea how, lol, sitting at parties for hours and playing window mode so you can watch some movies, anime or read something meanwhile) ... or WC3 is so much more appealing to them to play dota on.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Demongod » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Enmity Campaign 73a was much better than DotA will ever be >w<
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room