Video Games

Re: who want to play free dota

Postby Phenoca » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 pm

LoL was good.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby Ginnazoh » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 am

when people say LoL the first thing I think of is Lands of Lore...yes I play a lot of older games ... (Nox, Land of Lore, X-Comm, etc.)

But yea I just downloaded it and giving it a try. It seems kinda boring playing with a whole bunch of strangers...just like DotA was.

So what are your IGN for LoL.

I'm still going by the same name: GinnAzoh.
Ginnazoh

Postby 091888 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 am

just click on the link and register , and play it is so simple ok ?

Postby InigoMontoya » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:47 am

My IGN was already taken so I'm InigoIVIontoya.
InigoMontoya

Postby Zanador » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm playing on the EU server, as Zanador.

My opinion of LoL after a few days and about 3 dozens of matches:

For me, its not better than DotA at all, its just a bit different. I dont even like most of the "corrections" they made:
Denying and orbwalking is a huge loss to the early game micro, which is my strong point in dota.
The tower AI makes defending early on a lot harder in LoL.
Range is annoyingly short. Even pure archers and nukes have only about 350-400 range when we use dota-terms, so close contact is hard to avoid.
No TP scroll means its nearly impossible to defend the base without a well trained and experienced team in the mid-late game, so its about who destroys the inhibitors faster.
That match making system they are proud of is useless if you dont have a full team of friends.
In contrary to their oppinion, a well fed carry can win a game alone, just the same as they do in dota. (pro matches or at least decent team matches are completly different.. there are no well fed carries there if the opponent played well, for both games)
Removing the randomness from the game doesnt make such a huge difference.. does it matter if your hero will attack 300 each time, or if it attacks 70-73+250? (man, i hope he will roll 70...)

On the positive side: it seems like LoL is a lot more casual if you want it to be. Since you dont have to concentrare on lasthitting and denying 3-4 creeps while trying to harass the opponent at the same time, keeping all the cooldowns on the lane in head, and watching out for curier, and possible ganks simultaneously, its a lot less stressful.
The matches on average are a lot shorter too, so you dont have to prepare an hour, maybe one and a half (just in case it gets stalled) to play a game.
Knowing the right items for a hero is important here too, but on the low lvls of learning, the suggested builds are just fine too, unlike in dota, where the existence or absence of certain (skilled) items can decide the match.

Overall, in my opinion LoL is not better than DotA, but its a lot better than what i expected. On a huge plus side i could start playing with friends again who just couldnt (or didnt want to) keep up with the competitivenes of dota after a while.

P.S: i really miss replays...
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby Romdeau » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Why don't you play on the US server, Zanador?
Romdeau

Postby InigoMontoya » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Zanador wrote:No TP scroll means its nearly impossible to defend the base without a well trained and experienced team in the mid-late game, so its about who destroys the inhibitors faster.

Note: Just hit "b" and you recall back to the town center. No need for scrolls.
InigoMontoya

Postby Zanador » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Romdeau: I downloaded both clients, but somehow the US server had 200-250 ping to me which was really high, considering it should be 100-120 (which is acceptable even in a micro intense match, tho not great). I can take a look into the matter later on, but it simply wont be as low as the EU server (30-50), for obvious reasons. Aside of the ping, i saw no difference between the servers at all (even the free heroes are the same and changed at the same time).

Inigo: thx, but i knew that. Its far less effective than the scroll. Takes like 8 sec to channel the recall, after that about 5 more seconds at least before you reach the tower, and even then you are coming from a clearly visible and open way. By the time you show up, a lvl18 dps hero can destroy the tower alone, or at least take its half HP. That is, if you didnt have to hide first to recall, or heal at the base. In dota, if someone had the idea to solo a tower, he would risk to litteraly find himself surrounded by opponents in 3 seconds, and most likely at least one of them with items such as lothar or blink dagger to make escaping hard. If there is anything that allows you to defend like this in LoL, please let me know. Aside of the summoner magic: teleport, of course.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby InigoMontoya » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:27 am

Ah, gotcha. First, you are obviously far superior at DotA than I ever was! You are right about the 8 sec delay. What we do is use wards at the usual areas where people wait to watch the minions stream by outside the base before backdooring. That gives you enough time to recall back and prepare the ambush.
InigoMontoya

Postby Phenoca » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Heh.

Kayle Kayle Kayle!

I can Kayle, Ashe, Sivir... Learning Nidalee and Heimerdinger are on my to-do list, but I'm not good with them and... I uninstalled the game to make diskspace for gameplay videos :)
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room