League of Legends

Video Games

Re: League of Legends

Postby Multi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Romdeau wrote:Alteil's staff (Japanese and US) should really take note of how well this truly free to play game is doing. You can literally unlock all the playable content in the game if you are willing to put in enough time to play. This is a high quality, evolving game that is constantly updated with changes to the balance. New content and events are happening all the time.

I understand that it's a bit harder to directly translate their model of success to Alteil, but in theory it should work something like this: new events happening regularly (think once a week), changes to cards being made at least every month (in response to player feedback and internal testing), and allowing players to unlock most of the content for free if they are willing to put in a reasonable amount of time to play every day.

It may be very late into Alteil's life to make such a drastic change, but better late than never. The game's popularity would drastically increase.

I quit alteil after the last errata completely. Been playing League of Legends instead. I didn't play dota, rather I made fun of my roomate for playing it, but LoL has been way more fun than alteil ever was (I got like 200 matches on alteil which take anywhere from 15-30min from over a year, whereas I have about 150 matches on LoL which take 30-70min over a 1month period). LoL's transaction model is much better than alteil's ever will be (which is moot since Alteil is making money according to Logress and to sumarize what he said 'we'd be crazy to change how we do things since we're doing something right'), and they're attentive to user feedback and fairly open to discuss specifics (and make the changes!). Pretty much every week there are balance updates, bug fixes, improvements, and heroes rotate weekly now too. I actually ended up liking the game so much, I bought the collector's pack off ebay for 15 dollars, which gave me 20 champions and 10 dollars in "riot points" aka gran. What people have said about not being able to unlock the full game until lvl 30 is a bit misleading, since you're generally matched with players of similar level. You don't need to have every champion unlocked to enjoy the game (most people decide to master 1 or 2 champs first to begin with anyways and champs are rotated weekly), and masteries and runes do matter, but not in a terribly significant way (it's a team game after all). Either way, for 15 dollars I unlocked half the champs and got credited 10 dollars in cash points, whereas in Alteil I think I probably threw down about 100 dollars over 16 months or so and wasn't able to actually complete any real playsets of anything above 2*'s.

The real kicker is the only items that require cash purchase and actually cost anything are skins. Personally I find it to be a waste of money, but apparently it's not to many other people who enjoy those kinds of aesthetics and it seems to generate enough profit. I've seen it in other games too like Pangya! and many other mmo's where aesthetic items were cash only, though sometimes they did add stats. Obviously this would never work for alteil because our avatars are so pathetic looking (it's like I'm back in 1991), although seasonal cards are a better analog to aesthetic items in other mmos than our avatars. The skins in LoL game don't add anything to the gameplay, though runes do, however runes are in game money only, so cash can't buy you an advantage. Also, ranking matches are limited to lvl 20-30 only, where the top tier runes become available, so lower level players can enjoy normal unranked matches.

Alteil is of course more accessible of course, pc-anywhere wise, but just a thought in comparing how these two games are managed. Especially when looking at how much has been changed, balanced, and added since even the last post in this thread was made. (like several new champs, an upcoming new champ, and of course, significant balance changes and client/server improvements)

Of course I'm not saying to pick one or the other, me quitting Alteil had nothing to do with me picking up LoL and vice versa, I'd play both if Alteil could get things right. You even earn XP/IP (IP is the in game currency) from practice matches, whether they be vs humans or bots with only a 10% penalty, although you are limited to 4-6 practice games that earn you xp/ip, after that the penalty becomes 100% and you earn nothing. I think a similar system was suggested for Alteil, but cries of 'abuse' were probably shouted, but if alteil had 2-3 games where you could play in training or vs the bots where you could earn reduced xp/fm, I'm sure almost nobody would complain as this would help lower level players reach their level up goals much easier. With bot lvls that only go up to 35? I think, level 100 players would obviously benefit much less from grinding bots than newbies would, which is how it should be.

Peace out, ign Multiplatinum
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby fargone » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:08 pm

I am still enjoying playing this game. My win percentage has probably improved to around 50%. The vast majority of games lost has due been to people leaving early or mid game.

I must say /ignore is vital to the chat window however. It seems that League of Legends is a magnet for teenage boys with no manners and massive e-peens. Unfortunately, it is usually those guys who let the team down and play poorly (I have this theory of too much typing not enough playing).

The game has a good, long-lasting gameplay appeal.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby LoneKnight » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 am

It really does say something when LoL's business model looks so good when compared to Alteil...
LoneKnight

Postby Lateralus923 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 am

LoneKnight wrote:It really does say something when LoL's business model looks so good when compared to Alteil...

I hate to over simplify, but this is a direct result of Foreign marketing "experts" determining a business model / pricing for an unfamiliar market. Every market has different expectations, and when you try to break into a new market, you cannot simply force your local business model on a different market, you must adapt.

I deal with this every day, working with German company that sets prices based on the European market and our American customers are like "WTF" :lol:

Oh well, Alteil is too good, so unfortunately, it will still make money, and they will not change it... :-/
It'll be like a taco, within a taco, inside a Taco Bell, inside a KFC, inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!
Lateralus923

Postby exemplar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey there. I reached level 30 a few weeks ago. I think my win rate is OKish, and I have some champs unlocked and my rune pages filled out (although I always want more variety and rune pages...)

League of Legends US IGN: ExemplarOne

Add me if you feel like it.
Last edited by exemplar on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character conversations on hiatus until I get my photobucket sorted out.

Blog on hiatus until I find a new hosting site.
exemplar

Postby kore » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Is it me or servers are always busy? :/ IGN Koretego

@ exemplar sure it's right IGN?
kore

Postby imortal12233 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm Imortal306 (yes, I still use numbers, but it's shorter now..).
Needs a new sig, but haven't come up with one.
So here is a message about how I need a new sig but haven't come up with one :D
imortal12233

Postby exemplar » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:51 pm

kore wrote:Is it me or servers are always busy? :/ IGN Koretego

@ exemplar sure it's right IGN?

Yes, I play on the US servers though. If you play in the EU servers I don't have a character there. :/

Edit: Did a search for Koretego on the US server and found 0 results, so I'm guessing you might be playing on a different server.
Character conversations on hiatus until I get my photobucket sorted out.

Blog on hiatus until I find a new hosting site.
exemplar

Postby kore » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 am

I guess Now gotta add which server we play on, well I play on EU, and sadly bunch of (just gotta say that) retarded ppl. In my last game 2 ppl went afk and 1 was calling others noobs and said he play good with his 2 fps.... n/c on that. Anyway I hope to see any of you on EU server sometimes u can meet there some nice ppl :D
kore

Postby Zanador » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:11 am

I play on the EU server too, with the same name. Currently i'm on a sick-break, will be back around the end of the week, hopefuly.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room