Tomoyo After

Video Games

Tomoyo After

Postby Ginnazoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 am

So I am currently watching Clannad the anime for the first time (I've finished the VN twice already) and again I am drawn to the character of Tomoyo, which lead to me randomly digging up a chinese translation of the game script of Tomoyo After (a sequel to Clannad that follows the Tomoyo path of Clannad rather than the Nagisa Path->After story) and I'm wondering if anyone else read the script for this game or played the game?

I went through the PC version of the game and all I can say is wow...

SPOILER
WOW??? If the chinese translation I read is correct, and it is consistent with most of the forum topics I've read....TOMOYA DIES??? That is a harsh ending since if we look at the Tomoyo and Tomoya relationship, they're devoted to each other and yet they're first separated for 8 months or so when Tomoya is Council President, then another short time period when Tomoya falls for Tomo, then when they finally realize who they truly love and get back together, Tomoya gets hurt and has memory failure every two weeks which makes him forget everything after his elementary school graduation and Tomoyo sticks with him for 3 years of this trial...then they finally get married and Tomoya goes for surgery. Surgery results in recovery of memory but Tomoya dying...wow...this...just ruined my day and its only 7 am.....
SPOILER
Ginnazoh

Re: Tomoyo After

Postby Multi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

Have you never played a KEY game before? They're actually all a lot like this, it's just that half the time there's also the "KEY" miracle. Actually, Angel Beats the anime, is written by the same guy who writes all these Key games and he gave it a similar depressing soul crushing ending, but like usual, gave it a 'key miracle' epilogue.

Admitedly, tomoyo after is one of the most depressing endings he's done. Makoto from Kanon had a pretty soul crushingly depressing route too imo, and I believe it's also similar to one of the routes in Air.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Ginnazoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am

yea only key game/game scripts ive gone through are Air, Kanon, Clannad and Tomoya After...So based on the Air experience, I guess Tomoyo After end was expected...but after the Key Miracle they pulled in Clannad After story for Nagisa, I was hoping they'd do the same thing for Tomoyo (and yea I am suffering from Tomoyo-fanboyitis....)

I didnt find Makoto ending in Kanon to be that sad, neither the Air ending (i forgot which one, Im still waiting on the english translation of the vn so I can properly enjoy air...), mainly because I was never as emotionally attached to those characters, so their end never really hit me that hard. Also they pulled out the miracle for almost every other route in Kanon...

apparently the ps2 version of TA they added in an epilogue...but even watching the epilogue it still feels ridiculously sad. The epilogue to me just felt lacking...SPOILER as it either meant happy ending of tomoya recovering from coma...or tomoyo dies and they are reunited in the after life...neither of which really makes it a happy ending and still very depressing imo
Ginnazoh

Postby Multi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am

Man, I was so depressed after makoto ending. She was my favorite heroine, and the fact that she never realizes that she loved the protagonist is the saddest crap ever. The only reason tomoyo after is even worse is because the two loved each other, and tomoyo had to go through 3 years of trauma and then have it end like that.

The funny thing about kanon is that, no matter which heroine you choose, by not picking the others, you royally shaft them because they all needed the protagonist to save them.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Ginnazoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm

yea kanon was one of those games that to me was sending the message "there has to be sacrifices in life"

the tomoyo after ending...I'm still saddened about it although i understand what the author was going for and I can see how it is quite a beautiful portrait of the lasting love between tomoyo and tomoya but ... it was seriously depressing...

I am not sure if i'll actually play this game when it does get an english patch since its so sad...but...yea I need to find a more cheerful anime/manga/vn to read after tomoyo after...maybe I'll go check out demonbane whenever nitro+ releases the official english version...
Ginnazoh

Postby marryanne » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm

It's a Wonderful Life. The manga is told from Tomoyo's point of view.
Tomoyo After's story revolves around Okazaki Tomoya and Sakagami Tomoyo. ;a30 ;zagar

make money online
marryanne

Postby Ginnazoh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 pm

warning: the ending is a complete "****" move on behalf of key. I mean I understand why Key did what they did and the "beauty" of it...but I still find it to be an absolute slap in the face...
Ginnazoh

Postby Ginnazoh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 am

The mangas that have come out pretty much cover the canon or main story of Tomoyo After.

The PS2 release of Tomoyo After has an epilogue that is a bit of fan service (you'll know what I mean if you go read about it/play the game).

Imo, playing through the Tomoyo path in Clannad is essential in enjoying Tomoyo After and letting it take you on a "emotional" ride....
Ginnazoh

Return to Catherina's Play Room