onimusha

Video Games

onimusha

Postby saintsolja » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:08 am

I could open this topic and say somethin stereotypical like "out of all the the japan related topics how come no one ever mentioned the onimusha series" but if i did that would just be plain rude. Well i have been wondering why no one has said anything about it could be b/c it hasn't made any new ones yet. I was looking through all my ps2 games and decided to play onimusha dawn of dreams for a bit ended up beating it for the first time the other day. I also discovered that i have 3 games based on japanese history: onimusha warlords, onimusha dawn of dreams, and nobunaga's ambition. Well actually onimusha warlords belongs to my brother but he forgot to take it with him to new york when he moved out but yet he robs me of both mortal kombat deception and armageddon. :x

I didn't really know much about the onimusha series which is why i started playing warlords even though i played a little of onimusha 2 and most of 3 but right now i'm stuck at this point where the main guy named samanoske is trapped in a room with water flooding in it and this woman named kaede is searching for a way to get him out. Well i found the way to get him out but it's a difficult puzzle for me. In order to open the room with the water i have to move these 2 pieces of a crest to the center of the puzzle. i have managed to move one half of of the crest to the center but the other half is blocked off from movement. I have heard that they were making onimusha into a movie.

If that is true then i expect that it would be real good to watch seeing how good the story went for dawn of dreams. I just hope they don't deviate from most of the important elements like dragonball did to the dbz series even if dragonball was still an ok movie. After i had beaten dawn of dreams i went to youtube and found out some stuff i didn't know such as soki's ultimate weapon: excalibur. The best weapon i had at the time to beat the game with was leviathan. Oh in case u were wondering what Nobunaga's Ambition was it's a semi Rts (real time strategy) game based on historical events in japan from the 1560's to the 1700's i believe. The goal is obviously to conquer all of japan but u can play not only as nobunaga oda but also as the other warlords at the time. The only RTS part of the game is the battle's but u can pause it so i guess it's not really a RTS at all then. Basically improve ur castle by improving the land around it such as creating more farms producing more troops, better the marketplaces so u can get more gold, etc. then u wait for the ai to finish all their turns. well reguardless i thought the onimusha series was worth mentioning here since it's a rare video game series that's actually based around historical events. I haven't really found many games based on history.
Last edited by saintsolja on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
reasons why i quit.... refess is still dependent on ex cards.....and i have no ex cards.
saintsolja

Re: onimusha

Postby fargone » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I played the onimusha series. From a game point of view I found the controls a little cumbersome and restrictive, and was disappointed in the recycling of old sets and maps as the series progressed.

I am sure I have played a number of game based on the history of japan, but seem to be having trouble remembering them. Samurai Warriors and Samurai Warriors - Empires are loosely based on history (it contains historical characters and maps). Some or all of the Kessen series are also loosely based on japanese medievil history. Both of these games have beer and pretzels status in that they are very easy to play.

I know that there are more but I can't seem to remember them.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby Skorn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I played it and the one thing that amazed me was the following:

Why in Onimusha 3 did they keep Jean's language in his original French yet they gave an English dub over to the Japanese track. Made no sense when they crossed paths for the first time and a French man is speaking French with English subtitles so we can understand but the ancient Japanese samurai is speaking perfect English. Silly Capcom.
"Life sucks, eat a pickle."
Skorn

Postby saintsolja » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:20 pm

yea i know onimusha 1 and 2 are very restrictive in their play as for dawn of dreams not so much. dawn of dreams actually gives u more freedom and more combo attacks then the previous titles plus their video sequences or however u want to call them look a lot better kinda looks like ff 12 to me.
reasons why i quit.... refess is still dependent on ex cards.....and i have no ex cards.
saintsolja

Postby Gota » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:58 am

dude, stop typing with a block of text.

onimusha was fun, but got boring quick because it was too easy, as fargone mentioned.

Only thing challenging was the 100 underground level thingy, but even that was kinda meh after a while...
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby saintsolja » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 am

sheesh sorry thought it had to be a little bit longer for it to be considered a block of text.
saintsolja

Postby fargone » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I am not trying to pick on you, but more than a single paragraph in a block, is a block of text.

It just makes it so much easier for the reader in prose. Sometimes your ideas are hard to follow.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby saintsolja » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 am

ok there it's fixed now eat ur cookies hahaha
saintsolja

Return to Catherina's Play Room