Final Fantasy XIV

Video Games

Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Zetsurin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:48 pm

FFXIV is on the horizon, and it's the first non-fighting video game related purchase I'll be making this year. Really looking forward to playing with all my friends from FFXI.

Any Alteilers throwin' down?
Zetsurin

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Empharion » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:22 am

Been playing since the launch of open beta myself and I have to say I kinda like it. (Though probably not enough to pay monthly for it. At least not as it is now.)

I like it that you can actually lvl very high just by crafting or gathering (tho I do a bit of everything)

Currently tried out lancer, marauder, gladiator, miner, fisherman and armorer and I'll probably try the magic classes next.
What I'd rather have is a bigger difference between the different land and hand classes. For example, fishing and mining feel almost the same.

From the 3 beginning events I personally liked Ul'dah the most, cuz at least you got the feeling of doing something epic. (and I like parades xD)
Main: Empharion-Falkow
Alts: Otherworld-Refess Pherione-Gowen
Empharion

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

It's really epic from what i see and i can't play it ... yet. :(

Well if i get my hands on a better pc and some better inet, i'll play it ... i believe i will ...
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Lateralus923 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh god...... I want to CRAFT so bad!!

Must resist old FFXI urges..... must resist...

I don't even have enough time to get my fill of Alteil, much less an MMO, so I will have to pass on this one!

Mithrans <3

Good thing my computer sucks or else I would play anyways and ruin my life ^ ^
It'll be like a taco, within a taco, inside a Taco Bell, inside a KFC, inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!
Lateralus923

Postby Zetsurin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Haha, my friend felt the same way about the opening city scenes.

I'll be playing on the Besaid server at launch, in case anybody around here reading this thread hasn't chosen a home and doesn't know anybody.

Also yeah haha, I feel ya on the crafting. With how mediocre yet fun FFXI's synthing was, this should be spectacular with what the Disciples of the Hand/Land actually being much more significant and in depth.

If anyone is familiar with what static parties are, I'll be SPing Archer with my friends; leveling Pugilist when the new "fatigue" effect cripples our main jobs. We've been organizing stuff for a few weeks now so we have our whole roster sorted out with Classes and Crafts, so that we've got a fair balance of jobs AND we can support ourselves with our own miniature-tribe-economy thang. Exciting!

I know what you mean, though Lat. Work and go to college full time, and I practice my fighting game arsenal daily. Gonna be real tough to find all the time I need to play this game! I'm looking at you, sleep schedule.. and if you liked mithrans, you'll adore the new catgirlS (two tribes). However my race of choice is Elezen - Duskwight, particularly, as I have played a Drow Elf in D&D and the like for years.
Zetsurin

Postby Lateralus923 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 am

Oh god...

I checked the website and saw the new races and the graphics are freakin beautiful!

I want to play really bad, now!

Dark Mithrans FTW!

Maybe once I get a new computer, I'll try it out, although that's probably a bad life decision! ;)

Was your drow elf named Drizzt Do'Urden? :lol:
It'll be like a taco, within a taco, inside a Taco Bell, inside a KFC, inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!
Lateralus923

Postby Zetsurin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Hahaha nope, although I adore Drizzt! I have been reading the Legend of Drizzt series for a long time and he's definitely a character I adore :D

His full name is... Kel'Aelaghar Helviurden, if I recall exactly. He was a bard, who in his prime years composed two very magically enchanted blades that sang and made music alongside his elegant and flawless dance of death; every sway and swing invoked a sound and added to the trio of melodies! A sudden flurry of thrusts? That calls for a measure of staccato! A sudden lunge - Sforzando! Ah, the nostalgia. I sure hope they eventually add a BRD class - er... "Disciple" to FFXIV, that isn't quite like the bard in FFXI(that game is still going on, you know, they added a whole plethora of content and are raising the level cap to 99 in blocks). Sort of like the Blade, a bardic subclass in Baldur's Gate 2!

Really looking forward to launch, aside from the hundreds of dollars I've spent upgrading my computer :roll: ah well, it was needed. Guess it's better than spending $200+ trying to get 3 copies of Allind for my big red deck :lol:
Zetsurin

Postby Eladin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:13 am

i don't know if i'll bother. i bought XI, didn't like it...but I'm not that big on MMOs to begin with...i just thought my love for the franchise would see me through. nope.
they failed in my mind as soon as they decided to use every other cookie cutter sort of "little creatures, big creatures, elf-like creatures, and humans!" race system.
should've used the world of Ivalice. Final Fantasy Tactics style. all those classes, who cares about playing a fuzzy biped?
how different is XIV supposed to be? i haven't actually heard all that much about it, but, i may decide to give it a shot...

course i need a new bloody laptop if i'm going to do that :P
but i'd need to make that change regardless if i plan on playing DC Universe.
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby Zetsurin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I'll search for some random videos quickly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub60_0knHFc - yes that's your character in the CG. your char is a lot more involved with cutscenes and the storyline than XI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDy01OeM ... re=related
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/media/t ... l/op_movie

Combat can actually be like in the op_movie. You can cut off enemy limbs/horns/etc through the new.. battle regimen (kinda like skillchains in FFXI) like they did to the malboro. Also, the airship the dragon was curled on near the end of the cinematic is an actual zone in the game that I discovered while adventuring with my friends in the high level areas, was really cool

Fatigue system and overall feel of the game takes a bit of getting used to, and so far I like it.

Most of the game's reviews are from right at launch before they fixed a lot of bugs and changed a lot of things, so take them with a grain of salt
Zetsurin

Return to Catherina's Play Room