Recommendations for Visual Novels

Video Games

Re: Recommendations for Visual Novels

Postby Romdeau » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:43 am

Wait, what's wrong with paying these companies for going out of their way to translate them AND market them at a cheaper price? :?
Romdeau

Postby Teru » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Because I expect a certain amount of quality when I purchase things. MangaGamer does not supply this quality.
Teru

Postby Romdeau » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 pm

From what I understand, they have drastically increased the quality of their translation over time-do you have REALLY high expectations?
Romdeau

Postby Teru » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Sure I do.
Teru

Postby CainHyde » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Teru wrote:Pffwahaha "buy"
I for one don't support their translation efforts at all. If I was going to read any of the VNs they had to offer I definitely wouldn't be paying money for them.
Actually I think I'd rather get the originals instead and use AGTH + Atlas or something. Pick up more Japanese that way too.

Well... To be honest, I wouldn't really mind to buy game from them.
But there are some factor limiting myself.
1. Most of their games is not available in physical copy, while I prefer physical copy than digital copy for my games.
2. When buying if possible I prefer buying Limited Edition with bonus than cheap non-bonus. So far none of their LE games catalog interest me greatly.
3. My friend won't allow me to buy games like this with his CC. Someone who can help me to buying this require some extra fee.
4. Custom is my worst enemies of all time. The need of extra money occasionally for blinding their eyes is not helping at all.
5. Since I live in Asia shipping from Europe/USA is more expensive than shipping from Japan most of times.
6. "Ship it to my sister in Canada, and ask her to bring it home during holiday" option isn't available for this kind of purchase.

And I do own several original Japanese game you know, both console game and hentai VN game.
But since I don't installed Japanese version of Windows, some of those games actually didn't allow me to install/play them in legal way.
I need to find non-dvd patch or some patch intended for pirated copy.
Having translated version would help me to not bothering looking for those patch in the first place.

Romdeau wrote:market them at a cheaper price? :?

In case of their physical copy, for me I doubt it would ended up cheaper for me.
It might ended up on the same price range as Japanese version.
Not that I really mind though... as long as the games worth it.
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby Romdeau » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah I can get by without physical copies-seems like too much of a hassle to me with little reward. I guess besides the feeling of physically owning a copy, are there any other benefits?
Romdeau

Postby CainHyde » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Romdeau wrote:Yeah I can get by without physical copies-seems like too much of a hassle to me with little reward. I guess besides the feeling of physically owning a copy, are there any other benefits?

Do you mean the normal version?
Well... in case of Japanese version, you might get a booklet or something like that... Probably...
None of my Japanese version of Hentai VN game is normal version, all of them is LE or bundled with some bonus.
So I am not really sure.
Since non-limited version of Japanese PSP, PS3, and PS2 also have small booklet inside, I think it should be safe to assume pc game also have it.

But in my opinion, other than the games itself, normal version physical copy it's not really worth it.
Cause most likely you will only receive the game, the box, small booklet with some illustration (Probably), and some user manual in Japanese language.
When you're not playing it, you can display the box in your home/room, and that's it.
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby Romdeau » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:03 pm

What do these limited edition cases come with usually that you like?
Romdeau

Postby CainHyde » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 pm

It depends on wallet and the company itself.
Some big company usually have tons of bonus for their LE, while some company is kinda lacking in bonus or have no LE at all.
Normally the company LE give you at least games, booklet, artbook, OST CD or OP/ED CD, bigger and better box than normal edition with different cover though.

While most of store that selling LE have a different extra bonus bundle with different price in every shop.
For example: Telephone card/clear folder/poster/bathroom poster/mug/bed sheet/pillow cases/dakimakura cover/drama CD/tapestry/figures/etc.
I have one of my game bonus include double size bed sheet, keyboard cover, CG lineart in printed form, lineart in printed form with the game illustrator signature, opening song score note, OST CD and artbook.

Romdeau wrote:From what I understand, they have drastically increased the quality of their translation over time-do you have REALLY high expectations?

Btw Rom, what is the last game from Mangagamer that you played?
In that game, is their translation quality is pretty good?
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby Romdeau » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm super excited about Stein's Gate fan-translated patch being released soon-the group doing the job has said that their in final stages of editing. Admin on erogedownload.com has already posted the rough patch, but I'm waiting for the full glory version.

Cain, I am currently playing Da Capo 2 and the translation seems fairly decent with some minor grammatical errors. The release even comes with some translation notes to help understand culture specific words that weren't translated (in roman characters though).
Romdeau

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room