Why I hate World of Warcraft

Video Games

Re: Why I hate World of Warcraft

Postby Exanthem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:14 am

Eh, I've just seen too many people get their lives messed up by WoW to ever want to play it. My roommate during my first year at college was eventually kicked out because he was too addicted to WoW to ever study or even pay attention during class. I've also seen a divorce which was based primarily around the fact that the husband was spending way too much time/money on WoW. **** like that sounds worse than some drugs.

Sure, these are just a few people and you can say they had "weak hearts" or just addictive personalities but there seems to be more of these weak hearted people playing WoW than the casual gamers who can put it down at any time so I'll just avoid the risk. ;)

Besides, why waste the money on a game which would require a ton of mindless grinding just to become good at?
Exanthem

Postby Grain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 am

Exanthem wrote:Sure, these are just a few people and you can say they had "weak hearts" or just addictive personalities but there seems to be more of these weak hearted people playing WoW than the casual gamers who can put it down at any time so I'll just avoid the risk. ;)

Besides, why waste the money on a game which would require a ton of mindless grinding just to become good at?

This made be lol (not in irl though).

Wow, you sure know a whole lot about this game you haven't played, huh?
Grain

Postby Exanthem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:19 am

Grain wrote:
Exanthem wrote:Sure, these are just a few people and you can say they had "weak hearts" or just addictive personalities but there seems to be more of these weak hearted people playing WoW than the casual gamers who can put it down at any time so I'll just avoid the risk. ;)

This made be lol (not in irl though).

Wow, you sure know a whole lot about this game you haven't played, huh?

No need to to get defensive because your game is being insulted. ;) You sure have gone out of your way to basically just say "nuh-uh" to everything people have posted so why don't you actually tell us why it is that you enjoyed the game so much much before quitting?
Exanthem

Postby Grain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:12 pm

No need to to get defensive because your game is being insulted. ;) You sure have gone out of your way to basically just say "nuh-uh" to everything people have posted so why don't you actually tell us why it is that you enjoyed the game so much much before quitting?[/quote]

I lol'd again.

I wasn't being defensive. (Does the :lol: emote look defensive to you?)

I just got tired of it, as I had nothing to do at level 70.

I've already said why I enjoyed the game.

Relax! Chill out with Lapierre Sensei. ;a33
Grain

Postby Exanthem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Grain wrote:No need to to get defensive because your game is being insulted. ;) You sure have gone out of your way to basically just say "nuh-uh" to everything people have posted so why don't you actually tell us why it is that you enjoyed the game so much much before quitting?

I lol'd again.

I wasn't being defensive. (Does the :lol: emote look defensive to you?)

I just got tired of it, as I had nothing to do at level 70.

I've already said why I enjoyed the game.

Relax! Chill out with Lapierre Sensei. ;a33[/quote]

Yeah, you said that you enjoyed it for the community but is the community really that great to play a game for 2 years? I'm just curious, I have heard a lot of people tell the reasons why they dislike WoW but I haven't heard many people say why they got hooked on the game (although this is probably due to the fact that most people who are hooked would not be visiting the same websites I would, nor would they leave their house long enough to explain it to me). You have to admit, 2 years is a long time to play a game. I get sick of most games after less than a year.

Another question, just an estimate, about what percentage of the time you played did you have to spend grinding?

And honestly, Zagar seems a lot more chilled out than Lapierre Sensei. ;zagar
Exanthem

Postby Allied » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:37 pm

The reasons why wow is good,
1. Biggest MMORPG
2. Has alot of end game content.
3. Has amazing pvp
4. Has alot of updates and content added
5. It really is the best mmorpg or 10 mill would not be playing it.
6. Its not a big grind as alot of people think, While lvling you can group and quest.
Allied

Postby Grain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Exanthem wrote:Yeah, you said that you enjoyed it for the community but is the community really that great to play a game for 2 years? I'm just curious, I have heard a lot of people tell the reasons why they dislike WoW but I haven't heard many people say why they got hooked on the game (although this is probably due to the fact that most people who are hooked would not be visiting the same websites I would, nor would they leave their house long enough to explain it to me). You have to admit, 2 years is a long time to play a game. I get sick of most games after less than a year.

Another question, just an estimate, about what percentage of the time you played did you have to spend grinding?

I enjoyed the community the entire two years. I stopped playing once my guild had died. Online games aren't like other games, they last years and are updated with new materials. An RPG you may have an intricate story, multiple plots, complex characters, etc., but in the end, it's all scripted. Offline games are static. When you're playing with other people across the country (perhaps the globe), things don't get old as quickly.

These people you speak of are most definitely in hardcore raiding guilds. Hardcore raiding guilds exist, but not nearly in such an abundance as your predisposition assumes. Hardcore players log on as soon an they get home, and raid a dungeon with 10-25 people till 1A.M. while speaking to each other over ventrilo. Here's an example of a harcore raiding guild.

I cannot tell you how many hours I specifically spent grinding. You'll have to define what "grinding," is exacltly. Quests, instances, raids, battlegrounds, arena matches, material farming, and maybe even ganking can all the considered, "grinding," subjectively.I can't give you a good estimation. It's something done gradually over weeks, usually grinding several things at a time. There's no true reason to spend time grinding before one reaches level 70. Do you beleive grinding can never be fun?

I can make a post on the forum if you'd like to ask any question to the WoW community directly.

And honestly, Zagar seems a lot more chilled out than Lapierre Sensei. ;zagar

You're entitled to your own opinion I suppose...
Last edited by Grain on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grain

Postby reydien » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Exanthem wrote:Yeah, you said that you enjoyed it for the community but is the community really that great to play a game for 2 years?

Why would the community of WoW be any different from any other community of people with similar interests anywhere else? Have you ever followed a community for...anything, really, for any extended period of time? If so, I could ask you the same question, substituting "anything, really" for WoW. To actually answer your question, I started playing WoW with a group of real-life friends (yes, I play WoW AND I leave the house, try not to explode your prejudiced brain here). We met up with a handful of other fun folks to play with, started a guild, and grew from there. I enjoy hanging out with (most of) my guild-mates and doing random odds and ends; I enjoy this little community I've helped create, and it really is what keeps me playing the game.

Exanthem wrote:I'm just curious, I have heard a lot of people tell the reasons why they dislike WoW but I haven't heard many people say why they got hooked on the game (although this is probably due to the fact that most people who are hooked would not be visiting the same websites I would, nor would they leave their house long enough to explain it to me)

Yeah, insulting the people you're trying to get an answer from really doesn't rate too high on the etiquette meter. As for hearing a lot of people talk about disliking the game, I'll refer you to an old adage: "The squeaky wheel gets the oil." I will be the first to admit that World of Warcraft is not for everyone, but I'll also say the game has a lot of content to offer for a variety of different play styles.

Exanthem wrote:You have to admit, 2 years is a long time to play a game. I get sick of most games after less than a year.

Online RPGs are different from most regular single-player RPGs. They start out with similar levels of content (which is already a solid 40-80 hours of stuff to do of varying difficulties), but because Online RPGs are not static games, they can and do grow over time. New content is introduced, old content is tweaked, modifications to the base mechanics can be made. You can even have limited time content; World of Warcraft has a number of seasonal events, most of which correspond with real-life holidays.

So yes, 2 years of playing the same game is a long time, but I fail to see why that is necessarily a bad thing. If you think of it as a hobby, then applying that statement to any other hobby, it seems kind of silly: "How long have you been fishing in your free time?" "About 15 years now." "Wow, that's a long time. Why haven't you gotten bored of it yet?"

Exanthem wrote:Another question, just an estimate, about what percentage of the time you played did you have to spend grinding?

Define "grinding." I enjoyed playing my first character through pretty much all of the content 1-70, and spent the vast majority of that time doing quests to level up. I spent maybe a level or two just sitting in one place killing the same set of mobs over and over, and really I didn't need to, I just wanted to try it out. Even after I got to 70, I had fun completing the rest of the quests I had left. About that point I guess I started fretting about gathering mats and gold and stuff for gear to do the high-end-game content, but I didn't actually do that much true grinding (killing the same mobs over and over for drops/gold): I probably have done less than 50 hours, total, since hitting 70. That may sound like a long time, but that's 50 hours spread over a full year and some months. The rest of the time I spent doing quests, clearing dungeons with friends, helping friends with their quests and alts, and raiding (again, with friends). You may define "clearing dungeons" and "raiding" as grinding, but I honestly enjoy the time I spend doing those, and I don't fret about getting the gear to drop, so I don't; I learned very early on, "the gear will drop eventually/again, just sit back and enjoy the game," and so far it has held very true in my experience.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:03 am

This thread has inspired me to log back onto WoW after two months of wasted money.

Also, I think the tone of the thread has become somewhat antagonistic. I'd like to advise everyone to be friendly with each other before any grudges become deap-seated.
Grain

Postby neonsun » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:23 am

i simply hate the game for many reasons, i wont go in details BUT know this
it is because of world of warcraft that you are getting starcraft2 and diablo 3.
if i remember correctly that period of time blizzard was having a lot of problems financially ,and the monthly WOW subscription solved all of that LOL
HAving molerat meat for breakfast lunch and dinner ....Cheers !!!!
neonsun

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room