Why I hate World of Warcraft

Video Games

Re: Why I hate World of Warcraft

Postby edgarfigaro » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:23 pm

[/quote] Personally i have yet to play a game that i feel has done PvP "right" yet within the genre. Balance issues aside, there are many different mechanics from many different games that simply do not cross over, but if combined would create the beginings of an environment for pvp that would start to qualify as "amazing". Moving away from the basics, such as defined roles, teams, team play, and goal orientated combat there are several "core mechanics" i have observed that really deserve to be pushed forward more. The Age of Conan combo system and positional style combat, which also includes the generic defensive manuvers and "shield system" isn't perfected yet, but a brilliant concept building on the generic auto attack based dogma that rules the genre. The positional style and movement based evasion on ranged combat within guildwars, combined with ground targetable options found in other games would also be a major improvement. Taking those two basic elements and combining it with Wii style sword control combat or Oblivion esque control (which needs to be updated more and improved) would be the basis of a foundation for something that could realistically be labeled as "amazing pvp".[/quote]

The Battlegrounds that WoW have are awesome. I think it's fair to include them because you are fighting other players in consentual team vs. team play. Blizzard has essentially wedged FPS play into an MMORPG. It's fantastic. Capture the Flag, Map Control Point game type, and I forget the others. Also there's four distinct, maybe more, battlegrounds to play on. I think that is an excellent example of PvP done right.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Postby Phades » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:42 pm

EdgarFigaro wrote:
Phades wrote: Personally i have yet to play a game that i feel has done PvP "right" yet within the genre. Balance issues aside, there are many different mechanics from many different games that simply do not cross over, but if combined would create the beginings of an environment for pvp that would start to qualify as "amazing". Moving away from the basics, such as defined roles, teams, team play, and goal orientated combat there are several "core mechanics" i have observed that really deserve to be pushed forward more. The Age of Conan combo system and positional style combat, which also includes the generic defensive manuvers and "shield system" isn't perfected yet, but a brilliant concept building on the generic auto attack based dogma that rules the genre. The positional style and movement based evasion on ranged combat within guildwars, combined with ground targetable options found in other games would also be a major improvement. Taking those two basic elements and combining it with Wii style sword control combat or Oblivion esque control (which needs to be updated more and improved) would be the basis of a foundation for something that could realistically be labeled as "amazing pvp".

The Battlegrounds that WoW have are awesome. I think it's fair to include them because you are fighting other players in consentual team vs. team play. Blizzard has essentially wedged FPS play into an MMORPG. It's fantastic. Capture the Flag, Map Control Point game type, and I forget the others. Also there's four distinct, maybe more, battlegrounds to play on. I think that is an excellent example of PvP done right.
That is not a unique trait within the genre. Guildwars executed that style of play far better and is the center of the game rather than additional content. I consider those style of conditions to be manditory features before other objective comparisons can be made. Also, before making the scaling style of comparisons between those two, i would have to pose the question, "have you ever played planetside"? Without being able to compare a 200v200v200 situation not bound by auto attack and recast timers, i would say it would be difficult at best to make a full corrolation between a FPS with RPG elements in a massive scale and contain all the aforementioned objectives to a RPG attempting a Pvp environment, but making a good effort at creating one opposed to other games, like lineage for example, which barely fleshed it out from the word go.

More to the point though, stating that one is good in a genre where it is done horribly in general, isn't really saying much.
Phades

Postby Grain » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

When I stopped playing WoW in the fall, pvp was terribly imbalanced.

I knew it was time to quit once they started giving free levels to people who buy multiple accounts.
Grain

Postby SacredGuyver » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Grain wrote:I knew it was time to quit once they started giving free levels to people who buy multiple accounts.

Wait... what?!?

Please tell me that ain't true. -_-
SacredGuyver

Postby Grain » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:08 am

SacredGuyver wrote:
Wait... what?!?

Please tell me that ain't true. -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mcHe06ASlg
Grain

Postby SacredGuyver » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Grain wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mcHe06ASlg

GFG Blizzard -_-
SacredGuyver

Postby Harion » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:53 am

i hate all mmos in general
any game that stinks of grinding
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby meep » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:15 am

I have to agree...WoW sucks the soul.
meep

Postby Peaches » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm also deeply hating WoW. I quit, three times. I'm done for good now. I hope.

Anyways, my main issues with the game were...

It's SO Repetitive

It's unimaginative, in terms of the meta game. Everybody goes for the same items, with the same skills... I swear to god I once saw 9 undead rogues in a bg that were lvl 19 and all wore the same equipment. Exciting!

I expected it to be story driven, and it really isn't. Which is a let down after SC and WC3.

---

Wait for Champions Online to come out!
Little leaf, green leaf
Gather light to you.
Little root, deep root
Bind the earth to you.
Mind the trunk that holds you high!
Mind the branches long and proud!
So strong stands the forest.
Peaches

Postby Grain » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:23 pm