Battleforge AWESOME TCG / RTS Mix *** OPEN BETA ***

Postby Tenkai » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 pm

The game is in open beta right now, but it's really good. For more infos:

http://www.battleforge.com/cms/front_content.php
Tenkai

Re: Battleforge AWESOME TCG / RTS Mix *** OPEN BETA ***

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Any suggestions on spheres and unit choices? ://
Will it cost? Can i play it for free and get tons of **** by just grinding?
Will it cost a lot? What price do you intend to make people pay?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tenkai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:20 am

Batteforge is now in open beta and everyone can try it.

Well it will cost money in the final release. The boxed version will retail at 49,99€/$ (check amazon for the actual streetprice). You get the game with 64 cards and 3000 BP. A booster pack will cost 250 BP or 2,5€/$. It contains 8 cards: 5 commons, 2 uncommons and 1 rare or ultrarare card.

You can only grind for card upgrades, but not for the actual cards: you have to buy the booster packs for them.
Tenkai

Postby Cheezy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Saw this some time ago, finally they revealed the last power/sphere. I'm not sure how this will turn out. It might become good but we'll see.
The fact that you need to pay to get more units/cards makes it a turnoff.
also,

Frost = Refess
Fire = Gowen
Nature = Falkow
Shadow = Lawtia

XD
EDIT: tried it. Does not really entertain me much. Too confusing and the screen is cluttered with different units blah blah sfosjffh
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
Cheezy

Postby arfort » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 pm

They won't have free acounts at launch. You basically get 40$ worth of boosters + 4 starters when you buy the game for 50$.
I tried the game briefly yesterday (it finished downloading pretty late). It seems interesting and honestly the last strategy game I played was Warcraft 3 and I think this game is about on par with it. Of course W3 is what, 5-6 years old now?
A normal strategy game rarely has more than 50 units in total while this one has 200 cards at launch which I think is pretty neat. Hopefully rares and rares+ won't be too good.
The price for boosters seems quite steep and ultra rares are only in 1 out of 6 boosters (their booster cost more so overall about 20$ for each highest rarity card, like Alteil). But you can trade. You can't get new cards just by playing but you do earn upgrades that go on your cards by playing.
I'll definitively play it for the two weeks it's in open beta. If the game is good enough I'll consider buying it. At least with single player and coop campaign up to 12 players, it's not like the computer can make me swear because he's using 50$ rares.
arfort

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I love the idea behind this game as I love both TCG and RTS but once they announced the pricing plan my interest took a nose dive. There are no ways to get more cards beyond spending money or ripping people off in trades. There are 200 cards in the initial set, but your getting only a small portion of them by buying the 50 dollar retail game, and among those cards are spells, many of which work like abilities or unit upgrades do in other RTS so the numbers actual don't compare as favorably to other RTS as you might think even if you spent huge bucks and got every card in the game.

I also don't yet fully understand the concept of charges but it sounds like from what I've seen those who have multiple copies of cards will have a decent early game advantage. You only include a single copy of any card you want to use in your deck, but by combined multiples you can make that single copy have more charges ( I believe up to like 3 or 4) and then when the game starts you can keep playing that card as long as you can afford it until your out of charges. Once your out of charges you have to wait for the cards cool down until you can play it again. This means if you only have a single copy of a card you have to wait on cool down after every play of it since you have only 1 charge, while your opponents first 3 summons can come in quick succession with out waiting on cooldown since he has 3 charges. At least that was my understanding of how charges work.

Their forums right now are dominated by non stop arguing and bickering over the pricing plan so we'll see if EA actually takes notice of the mass unrest and decides to make some last minute changes and either lower the prices or in my opinion better yet do like Alteil and allow ways to earn cards through simply playing the game, but unless they do make changes I don't see myself picking that one up.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby arfort » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am

Yeah, I've now played 4 missions in the single player campaign on normal mode. Some of the missions are pretty challenging and there are quite a few pretty cool epic moments in there.
And yeah, if you have multiple copy of a card and you have an upgrade card (which you always get a few off every time you play, for free) you can combine it. It's not really all that useful because you're still limited by power. You gain power over time and all of your units and building require them to be built. Also when a unit runs out of charges it'll still reload over time. In total, you can have a total of 3 cards combined. Kinda like Alteil. Except unlike Alteil you can actually play cards even if you only have one copy.
I think I'll buy it for the same reasons I bought Star Chamber, another strategy / tcg hybrid. Basically, just for the campaigns and never ever buy any boosters or play versus players.
arfort

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt