Magic the Gathering

TCG's

Re: Magic the Gathering

Postby kirk22 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:09 pm

wakka9ca wrote:Return to Ravnica in October.

Ravnica, my favourite plane....

They'll never return to my favorite plane. Not many other people like Kamigawa.

EDIT: They've released the new keywords for Avacyn. Heres the link for them---->http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/190a

Heres a link for some spoilers of cards--->http://mtgsalvation.com/avacyn-restored-spoiler.html
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby wakka9ca » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Kamigawa is my second favourite... but yeah shame we won't return to it.

Temporal Mastery: condensed OP
wakka9ca

Postby kirk22 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 pm

wakka9ca wrote:Kamigawa is my second favourite... but yeah shame we won't return to it.

Temporal Mastery: condensed OP

Meh. There have been cards that let you have multiple turns before. Its pretty expensive unless you draw into it and pay its Miracle cost, and it exiles itself. I think its ok power wise. I'm really excited about the Soulbound mechanic. That could be fun.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby hexagram » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:38 am

How does MtG compare to alteil.

E.g In the categories of: Gameplay,pricing,cards,funness,community?

I like both chess and go wakka

good answer lone knight - I think I would probably prefer alteil too.
Magic can be played online though- but you have to pay- while you can play alteil pretty competitively as a free player. i.e. win some games with for example modded prebuilts/ maybe starters.

Seen magic games - some championship games on youtube. Plus did online tutorial. Seems pretty good -but not for me.
Personally more likely to play alteil 2 using translations from wakkas deck and the english translation database.
Last edited by hexagram on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby wakka9ca » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 am

hexagram wrote:How does MtG compare to alteil.

E.g In the categories of: Gameplay,pricing,cards,funness,community?

Everything is clearly superior and of higher quality.

However, gameplay is different from Alteil so it's like comparing chess with go.
wakka9ca

Postby LoneKnight » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:04 am

E.g In the categories of: Gameplay,
debatable, I prefer Alteil.
pricing,
Better. It's a physical cardgame and they STILL throw cards at people like they are free with starters and stuff.
cards,
Generally better design, more testing and thought put into it.
funness,
debatable, I prefer Alteil.
community?
no idea. I suspect it's a lot like Alteil but bigger.
LoneKnight

Postby kirk22 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 am

Community for MtG depends on how into it you are. If you go to releases, tournaments, or anything else like that you can meet some pretty nice people. Although I've also met a few people who need to relax a bit. But that just comes with the territory of a highly competitive game.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby Icyglare » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 am

I quit after Urza's Saga, cards were just getting ridiculous where you can have turn 3 losses. The community of where I lived was really small and had a few snobby nerds.

I do miss playing with my friends though but the amounts of cards that go obsolete, I couldn't keep up.
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby wakka9ca » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Icyglare wrote:I quit after Urza's Saga, cards were just getting ridiculous where you can have turn 3 losses. The community of where I lived was really small and had a few snobby nerds.

I do miss playing with my friends though but the amounts of cards that go obsolete, I couldn't keep up.

Well you quit during the infamous combo winter where power creep nearly destroyed the game.

The cards don't really become obsolete, they fixed that long time ago (since 9-10 years ago). Each set released now are of approximately balanced power with only ups and downs in terms of power creep, with a few exceptional sets. I suggest you check out some of the modern sets.

Gameplay is totally different so it's impossible to compare... But the meta is kept fresh with new cards rotating in and out, unlike in Alteil. New alternative format like multiplayer Planechase, Archenemy and Commander makes it more diverse and fit all types of players with all types of personalities, both casual and professional.

The player base in 2011 is estimated to be around 12 million by Hasbro. Magic Online usually has around a few thousands of players logged in depending on the time. You have to pay for cards although you can get free ones from bots. You have to pay for Magic Online because the cards are physically redeemable, unlike in Alteil.

By "playing competitively for free" in Alteil, that means you have no life and grind 20+ games per day. I think I prefer spending money over that option. You time is money unless you are unemployed.
wakka9ca

Postby CallMeWBC » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 am

It's hard to explain it, you should give it a try.

Steps:
1) Watch the intro video and play the interactive tutorial (the one that you fight a "goblin" player) to learn the basic stuff (rules)
2) Go to a local gameshop that hosts FNM and stuff and ask for help as a MTG new player (they'll probably give you free lands, free cards, tons of advice, and the experience you need)
3) Join a pre-release
4) ????????

The first two steps are free (well, besides gas...), and the third step is really worth it since you are almost guaranteed to have a really really good time (especially as a new player)
CallMeWBC

PreviousNext

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt