Magic the Gathering

TCG's

Re: Magic the Gathering

Postby Muklas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 pm

The at random part of his +1 killed him for me. Also: Gisela=Blossom, Bruna=Bubbles, Sigarda=Buttercup, Sorin=prof. Utonium, Avacyn=Chemical X. Yep,the angels are powerpuffs.
Ha ha, I'm using the shaving foams!
Muklas

Postby CallMeWBC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Against control:
T1: goblin guide (or whatever red's best 1 drop in the current standard)
T2: play Tibalt, +1
T3: +1, eot cast that 3 cmc bolt with proliferate
T4: spam burns/haste creatures and activate Tibalt's 2nd skill, dealing 5~6 damage with it (5~6 cards in opponent's hand)

That's not bad 8-)
CallMeWBC

Postby wakka9ca » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:47 pm

In case people were wondering...

MTG Forge 1.2.6 is out with even more improved interface and 500 new cards.
http://mtgrares.blogspot.ca/

Card count now 10500 if you want to play against the dumb AI (still better than Alteil one)
wakka9ca

Postby wakka9ca » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:46 am

So the heated debate about Cavern of Souls is raging across all MTG forums.

Seems that we can see some people think that:

counterspell = return = apparently OP

Apparently, Mana Leak is an extremely broken card.

Discuss?
wakka9ca

Postby kirk22 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm

wakka9ca wrote:So the heated debate about Cavern of Souls is raging across all MTG forums.

Discuss?

I don't see the issue with it. Sure it powerful but from what I've seen of Avacyn Restored so far there aren't that many counter spells. Its not like its making the creatures indestructible or anything.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby wakka9ca » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm

kirk22 wrote:
wakka9ca wrote:So the heated debate about Cavern of Souls is raging across all MTG forums.

Discuss?

I don't see the issue with it. Sure it powerful but from what I've seen of Avacyn Restored so far there aren't that many counter spells. Its not like its making the creatures indestructible or anything.

But the issue seems to be that CoS is aimed at shutting down counterspells on creatures. Those creatures might also have hexproof to make matters worse. I guess with the mechanics like "fight", Wizards seem to want to go in a direction where battlefield is where all the focus will go (even more creature centric than the current environment).

It's just that the new official article released today blatantly hinted that counters will be essentially phased out from Magic because it's "not fun". According to their definition, they want all the players to be happy with their spells 100% resolving. Thus, it marks a new paradigm shift in their R&D.

The question is not CoS but how Wizards is trying to redefine the game: an environment without counter

A good move or a bad move?

It's an interesting question because Return in Alteil creates the same type of debate? The player base is split between "elite" control players who like their control and the aggro players who don't like seeing their spells fizzling (or Refess units returned). It's essentially a Jace vs. Garruk (control vs. aggro) ideological war in MTG term. Casual control players think that power creep in creatures is not fair. Casual aggro players think that control is not fair. Truly good players actually think outside of the framework and cliche set by the archetype and understand the balance between.
wakka9ca

Postby kirk22 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I'd say its a bad move. Counters add another layer to strategy when playing MtG. If your the playing counters, you have to make sure you have enough mana to use them while still be able to do what you need to do on your turn. If your playing against them, you have to think of away around them. Maybe you play something that forces your opponent to counter it, then you play what you really wanted to all along. Its that kind of strategic thinking that make MtG so fun to play.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby wakka9ca » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 pm

kirk22 wrote:I'd say its a bad move. Counters add another layer to strategy when playing MtG. If your the playing counters, you have to make sure you have enough mana to use them while still be able to do what you need to do on your turn. If your playing against them, you have to think of away around them. Maybe you play something that forces your opponent to counter it, then you play what you really wanted to all along. Its that kind of strategic thinking that make MtG so fun to play.

Anti-counter faction will argue that counter are not fun because they prevent interaction between the cards (spell are canceled on the stack with no effect) and nothing can be done against it. Universal counters are often regarded as too versatile compared to the equivalent spells offered in other non-blue colors. This is why, according to the latest article, Mana Leak is considered to be broken in Modern. The opinion seems to be that Blue is too strong as a color. Then again, blame Wizards for putting out crazy blue creatures like Delver or Snapcaster (had seen enough of that guy). And then they print Temporal Mastery. Why so tsundere about blue Wizards.

I am in the neutral faction but it's interesting to see what other people thinks (with Alteil perspective). The forums on MTG salvation regarding this issue has degenerated too much in the past days to foster a healthy debate.
wakka9ca

Postby kirk22 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Blue can be quite powerful, I still get a little angry when I think back to Hedron Crab and his landfall mill. But don't find it to be OP. The other colors all have things they excel at just as much as blue excels at counters. Red can do quick, cheap damage both with spells and creatures, black can do huge damage and completely sabotage a deck, green has massive power and can generate mana very quickly, and white heals and offers tons of buffs( white also has a ton of field wiping spells). I think the issue might be that Wizards did what Alteil ended up doing. They focused on one aspect of a color instead of everything it has to offer. Now they have to decide whether to completely remove and aspect of blue or to just ease up off of it and focus more on its strengths. I hope they opt for the latter, but only time will tell.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 pm

The other problem is that if you create an environment without counters, you will be introducing a whole new set of problems that most people probably won't realize until it's too late...
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt