The death of the CCG?

TCG's

Re: The death of the CCG?

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Gogo duel disks? Surely if we make CCG's like the YuGiOh anime, they'll be popular again. I mean look how big they were in that show, they'd use them to settle life and death battles and save the world. :lol:
luckysvn777

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Sure kids would use them, but would adults? (hides his own duel disk behind a box... not actually joking about having one, a friend and I were feeling crazy and got ourselves each a duel disk a few years back, used them for all sorts of card games and would play them in random locations that would make everyone who walked by raise their eye brows, good times, though the things cut into our arms like you wouldn't believe, you'd think they thought only kid sized arms would ever be put into them).

I think the eye of judgement was made as a step toward "advancing" the ccg genre. Never played it, too dang expensive and I think it was a ps3 exclusive, a system I still don't own, but its clear some people out their are actually trying to take the ccg genre to new places.

I'm also mildly interested in the coming ccg from david sirlin, names alluding me at the moment, maybe Yomi, but as I understand it the games entirely starter decks, no packs, no randomness. Kind of similar concept to the LCG except I don't believe the cards are interchangable between starters, its all about picking the preconstructed deck you like best and out playing your opponent, no deck building involved. I rather enjoy deck building so the LCG model seems more enticing, but the concept of being able to buy a single starter and having it already balanced such that I should be able to compete with anyone with out ever spending again does make things a heck of a lot more enticing then the prospect of say, trying to get back into MTG and expecting to spend tons of money on cards to build a competitive deck.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ANIMEniac » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 am

I've tried Eye of Judgement. It was a great concept. It crossed the paper and virtual really well. You buy the cards and can play without the camera. The camera just adds to the "wow look at that!". Of course, with the whole command input (you have cards with actions: attack, move, etc) that you have to place to get the game to respond. Great idea like you said Dan, but very exclusive with costs and all (PS3 and cards).

I don't know how I'd feel about the whole just Starter kind of thing. It would be like just having Starters in Alteil. The great thing about CCG is the customizations and the deck building. Take that away and all you have left if a handful of decks and luck of the draw. I think maybe if it was Starters only, then mix and match with all the starters you bought, then it isn't so bad. Of course with no packs you just killed off draft/sealed games.
ANIMEniac

Postby LoneKnight » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

It isn't supposed to have draft/sealed games <_<

In Yomi, you play a fighting game character (of a game that doesn't exist). There may be stuff like isms later or something, but the core concept is that you are picking a predefined character with all his skills already set.

It's not a CCG in any way shape or form... it's a "regular" card game. So you shouldn't judge it by CCG standards lest you judge chess with wargame standards :P
LoneKnight

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am

LoneKnight wrote:It isn't supposed to have draft/sealed games <_<

In Yomi, you play a fighting game character (of a game that doesn't exist). There may be stuff like isms later or something, but the core concept is that you are picking a predefined character with all his skills already set.

It's not a CCG in any way shape or form... it's a "regular" card game. So you shouldn't judge it by CCG standards lest you judge chess with wargame standards :P

True, I shouldn't have labeled it as a ccg, but felt it was bringing up in the conversation do to its more unique take on "ccg-like" card games. Its probably worth mentioning that most card games, in their first set, usually only have a single viable deck for each "color" the game breaks it self up into. There just aren't that many cards available so there just isn't much room for variation, its just about actually getting all the key cards for your color. So considering this would effectively be Yomi's first set, it should play out pretty similarly to most ccgs first set releases, just much much cheaper and accessible for players to get into. Whether or not the starters will become customizable with future releases is unclear, the possibility of "ism" starters that can be mix and matched with the corresponding original starter seems very possible if the initial release is a success, but the key remains that theirs no randomness, that your theoretically always getting value for your money.

As for the lack of draft/sealed events for LCGs, to be honest I could live with out those events, but I do know that in other games I played when we were too tapped to buy new cards what we'd do is grab a big box of existing cards, shuffle them all up, and distribute them to all the players randomly. A similar act could be done with LCGs, everyone pitches in to buy a couple chapter packs, the packs are shuffled together, then distributed amongst the players in 10 card stacks, simulating the packs of a draft/sealed event. That method wouldn't really work with Yomi though, as from my understanding the starter cards do not worth with each other, but I suppose you could just make up your own rules where anyone can use anyones cards just for that event.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Otonashi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 pm

One thing I've wondered about Alteil is why it's called a CCG. The only thing that makes it a 'card' game is that all of the effects happen to be written down on cards. With a few aesthetic changes, you could easily make it resemble something like Tactics Ogre. Magic: The Gathering on the other hand needs to be in a card format, because of the whole concept of drawing cards from your deck. (Would anything but cards be useful for this?)
Otonashi

Postby LoneKnight » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Sirlin made another game which is kinda like puzzle fighter with poker chips in bags. Writing the rules on them would be kinda hard for magic though, lol.
LoneKnight

Postby MTCosta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Kongai on Kongregate.com is the closest thing to a Sirlin CCG right now. He designed the game itself and the characters, Kongregate just did the programming. He actually does have a CCG in development, but he hasn't revealed any details about it. And every time I ask him about it, he says it's not a priority. Ah well, we'll see it some day.
MTCosta

Postby Otonashi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 pm

MTCosta, if that avatar is from what I think it's from, then you've just won 50 awesome points.
Otonashi

Postby MTCosta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Yeah so speaking of CCGs that died... ;_;

I think I still have some Magi-Nation cards somewhere around the house. Ah, Strag.
MTCosta

PreviousNext

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt