Other tcgs?

TCG's

Re: Other tcgs?

Postby Harion » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28 am

DanTheTimid wrote:Cardmaster Conflict, played it once, didn't care for it. Ironically I started with the games first set light starter so based on Azul's comment maybe I just made a bad choice in starter and thats what turned me off to the game. Regardless theres a serious problem if a game allows a starter to exist that flat out turns players off from the game if they choose it.

funny you should mention that
but wasn't Alteil just like that when we had the old refess starter?
if i wasn't persistent enough with my starter i would've quit
fortunately, they've made refess starter a bit stronger this time
though i wonder if the new refess today is falkow
it'd be hard to win against the other sphere's new starters

if a falkow user goes against lawt, he's toast with 2 dalos to kill
against gowen, good luck. 3 devouring lizards very hard to kill even one
refess, priest of the holy word and duel wielding warrior and folrart captain?

and falkow needs field presence to win
good luck with that
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby Romdeau » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:11 pm

Falkow-refess, better get Vordore out fast. Dalos-2 undines to go please. Lizard? See answer for refess.
Romdeau

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Harion wrote:if a falkow user goes against lawt, he's toast with 2 dalos to kill
against gowen, good luck. 3 devouring lizards very hard to kill even one
refess, priest of the holy word and duel wielding warrior and folrart captain?

and falkow needs field presence to win
good luck with that

Hm, funny, i can torture people in crest with the falkow starter while i could easy fail with the other ones.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Harion » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:Hm, funny, i can torture people in crest with the falkow starter while i could easy fail with the other ones.

that's because those ppl you torture in crest are prolly newbies
meet a veteran and your falkow will probably go down

anyway, back on topic:

warstorm duels, currently playing it. on hiatus from alteil until population picks up
enough so that i don't get to meet the top iczers all the time
not fun losing all the time even when you've already spent as much as me
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 pm

How about that, Warstorm is from the people who did Duels, I remember that old game. Warstorm plays ALOT like it too. I always felt Duels was alot like a card game only instead of cards it was all about equipments, Warstorm I guess was just the natural progression toward making it an actual card game. I would have given you credit as the one who refered me but you didn't leave your account name.

So far I'm feeling flash backs of duels with Warstorm, both the things I liked about it (simplistic battle system, high level deck construction, lots of computer ai opponents in addition to human ones though humans give the best rewards, tons and tons of free rewards via grinding) as well as the things I didn't like (you basically shuffle your deck then play the top card of your deck each turn so you have no actual control once battle starts, all strategy is in deck construction itself, finding human opponents around your level to play with can be hard). I don't see it overtaking Alteil as my favorite online card game, I prefer having more control over the battle itself, but at least for today it's been a nice way to waste some of my free time.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Now that I've played Warstorm a little more I've found something I'm very not fond of, enough that the something I found that was a good thing really doesn't seem all that great to me now.

Good thing: Its pretty cheap to get alot of cards (they have a campaign bundle up right now that as I understand it gives you a single player story mode to play through that will result in you getting about a box and a half of cards once you've completed it, all for 4.99. I'd probably have a joygasm if they ever had something like that in Alteil)

Bad thing: The game is, with out question, a money game. That is to say, the rarer a card is, the more powerful or easier to play it is. Infact they even have rarer versions of common cards that have the same name, stats, and art except their turn cost (basically level in alteil) is lower! I already lost to another player running almost an identical deck to mine except he had the rare versions of my cards so his all came out sooner thus putting me at a huge disadvantage that had nothing to do with my deck construction abilities and everything to do with the fact he'd spent money on the game and I still haven't. Spending money should give you more options, not straight up superior cards, why even have the common cards at all?

What does this mean? Well I LOVE the idea of having purchasable single player story campaigns to earn cards through. The fact this campaign is only 5 bucks is apparently because they're having a sale, normally its like 13 bucks or something, but either way you apparently get more packs from these campaigns then you would spending the same amount of money on straight up boxes. I haven't looked too much into it but I'm guessing you can only do each campaign once though so after that you got to go back to boxes/packs to get more cards but its still a brilliant idea.

That said, even if cards are much cheaper then they are in alteil, if only the rarest of cards are actually useful, your actually getting alot LESS for your money because I'd argue atleast 90% of the cards in Alteil right now have some use. From what I've seen so far in Warstorm their ratio is more like 50%

Another Bad Thing I've noticed is that while at first its alot easier to get cards (you get packs at every level up instead of just 1 card and you continue to get them at every level even past 10 andyou also get a pack for beating every computer ai opponent in the initial beginners campaign) theres a level cap at 19 and only so many beginner computer opponents. Once you hit level 19 and beat those computer opponents your options for getting packs get much smaller. You can either buy cards with real money, buy a campaign with real money, or you can work toward achievements (such as beating 10, then 50, then 100 human opponents with an elf deck, same achievement ratios again with an orc deck, etc). The achievements will take a while, but they too will eventually run out (and since they involve beating human opponents they can be pretty tough to achive for some one who doesn't spend money). You CAN trade and auction house cards, but unless your ripping people off thats not really gaining you anything, just moving around the things you do have, and the beginner campaign packs cards tend to go for REALLY low prices or trade value do to the fact they are so common.

So long story short, Warstorm does some things I really like (single player campaigns, woot) but it does so many things I HATE in card games that in the end I'd still take Alteil over it any day of the week.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Harion » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm

that's why i said i'd love to take all the good things in that game and combine it with all the good things in alteil and i'd have the perfect online tcg ever.

alteil being story driven, it would really rock if we too have campaign modes
(both against AI and human opponents) campaigns can be bought only by $
we can have quests as well then give out reward packs like warstorm does. our quests can be like beat 10 falkow players, or win 50 ladder games, etc.

alteil is still top game for me but the way things are getting stagnant here, i really see no reason to keep on playing as of now. all the top metas are still unbeatable. it wouldn't have been such a bad thing, warstorm after all is the same. what exacerbates it here in alteil is our low population. in warstorm, you'll never meet the top players in ladder because their match generator auto-matches you to the player closest to your ranking. here, it'll be a good day if i never duel any of the top iczers in a day. it really gets old really fast if you keep fighting the same opponents everyday and you know you'll never win.

so, i'll keep checking alteil from time to time until things change which makes the game more favorable to me.
two things that are needed fast: population growth and battle generator based on ranking

btw, Aranelle is my username in warstorm. would appreciate it if you put me as referrer if you discovered the game through me.
--
Harion

Postby HadrielG » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Something I like about warstorm is that when you get a new card you can just drop it into your deck thus improving it. Here in Alteil, it feels like you can't really use a card unless you have at least two copies of it. Which can be a long way, and a ton of card packs before you can actually use your newly bought cards.
HadrielG

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 am

is warstorm playable for free players? can you get all cards without spending money?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Harion » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:51 am

warstorm is free to play, just like alteil
but just the same, those who spend money will have better decks
although free players in warstorm will have a hard time winning ladder matches
theoretically, it's possible to get all cards without paying
since trading is allowed in warstorm
you can grind for a long time, sell cards in the market for profit
and get cards you're missing for a bargain
ultimately, you may complete your collection when you hit 60

btw, don't forget to put me as referrer when you do sign up, even for just trial
Aranelle is the name
--
Harion

PreviousNext

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt