Manga, Censorship and Obscenity

Anime and Manga

Manga, Censorship and Obscenity

Postby Grain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:40 pm

A while back Carl Gustav Horn, manga editor at Dark Horse, contacted us about the ongoing case of Christopher Handley. As you may know, Handley currently faces up to 20 years in prison for the possession of allegedly obscene manga. Carl was concerned about the ramifications of Handley's case, not just on Handley himself, but on all of us. I think his concern is a very legitimate one, the case against Handley could set a precedent that will affect a lot of collectors and consumers of illustrated and animated material.

After a bit of discussion, Carl was invited to write an editorial on the subject that would be posted on ANN. Shortly thereafter Jason Thompson, author of the Manga: The Complete Guide, expressed his interest in also addressing the subject. I don't think very many people would disagree when I say that Carl and Jason are two of the most respected individuals in the North American manga industry. If I could choose any two people in the world to write an editorial for Anime News Network on this subject, it would be Carl and Jason.

-Christopher Macdonald

Read more at:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editori ... n-thompson

EDIT - Whew, ANN is really into this story... I think there are several more articles.
Grain

Re: Manga, Censorship and Obscenity

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Just what kind of manga does he have? >_>
Pix pls! Or it never happened! :D

Anyways its stupid and i am happy i read the non US berserk version.

Ok finished reading that, dosnt make any sense, but whatever. What i conclude is that 1000000s of american criminals who watch hentai with girls under 18 walk freely on the streets while they should be in jail according to their own law. :D
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Arakis » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:59 am

Peralisc2 wrote:Anyways its stupid and i am happy i read the non US berserk version.

I have to clarify something here. I could see maybe thinking the US Berserk manga should have a higher profanity level or something, but are you implying that DH/DMP censors it? As far as I can tell, they don't. All the content from the Japanese edition, even the disturbing stuff, is still there.
Arakis

Postby Romdeau » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with Arakis, I have almost every single Berserk volume done by DH and I've also read online scanlations-as far as I know, I couldn't pick up on any major discrepancies.
Romdeau

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Arakis wrote:I have to clarify something here. I could see maybe thinking the US Berserk manga should have a higher profanity level or something, but are you implying that DH/DMP censors it? As far as I can tell, they don't. All the content from the Japanese edition, even the disturbing stuff, is still there.

i thought they are O_o just when thinking about 4kids and other stuff like that i start thinking that almost everything gets censored in America
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:09 pm

I don't know about berserk personally but atleast as far as violence is concerned we rarely get censored in manga (atleast that I hear about). The things that most commonly get censored are nudity. Its been a while but I seem to recall a big fiasco about tenjo tenge when its manga first came out cause like some bathroom scene or something was censored, and I believe there was a recent negima cover I heard got censored (or the alternate art version was used or something strange like that) even though no private areas were actually shown (there was like wind streaks or leaves or something flying in just the right places in the original version but in the art that was used the character was fully clothed)

Negima is actually a great example of the dangerous line their walking in doing this kind of censorship since its a manga that constantly depicts underage girls in revealing clothes or at times even completely lacking in clothing. There are never any sexual acts, these states of undress are instead typically used as part of a joke that follows such as negi walking in on the girls in the shower and now he's desperately trying to escape with out his mistake being noticed, but the fact remains there are under age girls depicted in this manner often and its a slippery slope of what is considered obscene until manga like this becomes illegal in the states.

Of course you could make the argument that that's a good thing, that stuff like this is corrupting our kids, making them into pedophiles or something. I can understand that argument but at the same time I also think its up to the parents to decide what their child reads and doesn't read, not the government. Even for the individuals who truly have "adult feelings" for under age children... I don't know about the rest of you but I'd much rather have them drooling over a comic book in their home then staring at my kid in a park.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:30 am

Turns out the guy had a yaoi, not shounen-ai. The kind of yaoi with super androgynous, young looking types of characters.

Still, despite the argument that there was no actual children portrayed in the manga, Handley faces felony obsenity charges...

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/11/24/ne ... eys-trial/
Grain

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy