Anime/Manga Review Thread

Anime and Manga

Anime/Manga Review Thread

Postby MeleeNewb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:55 am

I thought it might be interesting and helpful to have a thread for reviews of anime and manga. If you have a series you love, hate, or just have an opinion on you'd like to share, then post a review here. Of course it's not just for posting review after review, whether you're looking for information about a series, are posting a review, are looking for a new series to watch, or are just browsing, this thread is the place for you!

In case (hopefully) this thread gets lots of replies, I'll keep a list of which anime and manga have been reviewed, with links to the posts. And feel free to do a series that has already been reviewed, everyone has a different take on what they've seen.

Review List:
Naruto - [1][2][3]

If you do decide to submit a review, while you don't have to write a 5 page dissertation (it would actually be better not to), you should try to add some detail and support your opinions. Here's an example of a good review and of a bad review.

Good
Here's a review of the anime series "Naruto" by Kishimoto Masashi.

Naruto is a shonen anime about a young ninja boy named, you guessed it, Naruto. Naruto's dream is to one day become Image Hokage, the leader of his ninja village. However, the road to becoming Hokage is long, and there are many challenges he must face before he can claim Image his title.

The cast in Naruto are both varied and numerous, with characters to appeal to a very broad audience. One nice thing about this series is that many of the characters actually have some depth, and develop as the series progresses. You can actually watch them grow, rather that watch a static crew go through different situations. Unfortunately there are points where characters will suddenly seem to revert to their immature behavior just as a plot device. Despite this, the way the characters are handled is a welcome change from most shonen anime, where for the most part the only thing that changes about the main characters is how powerful they are.

Voice acting is a little sub par, at least in the dub. Most of the characters either seem to be almost completely emotionless, or are more overexcited than a caffeine-influenced 5 year-old. And then there's Naruto himself, who almost every other line shouts out his catch phrase "Believe it!" which really starts to grind on one's nerves after the first million times. Luckily, most of these problems can be easily remedied by watching a subtitled version. The Japanese voice actors seem to have put more care into it than their English counterparts, and if you don't understand Japanese, then hearing "Dattebayo!" every few lines is far less irritating than hearing "Believe it!" (if you do understand Japanese then you're outta luck there. Sorry).

Where Naruto really shines is in the plot. Engrossing story arcs keep you on your toes until the end, and then leave you eagerly anticipating the next installment. And aside from some weak filler episodes later in the series, the pacing is handled quite well. You don't have any parts over before you can even grasp what's going on, but you also don't have to deal with fourty episode long arcs which seem like they will never end (I'm lookin' at you, Bleach).

In the end, with interesting and innovative ninja techniques, an involving story, and a wide range of likable albeit occasionally cliched characters, Naruto is a great example of the shonen anime archetype, and is worth a look for anyone into the genre.
Art: 7/10
Sound: 6/10
Story: 9/10
Progression: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

That was just an example, there's no need to conform to that length or format. Anyways, here's an example of what you'd want to avoid.

Bad
I love naruto it is so AWESOME and sasuke is so kawaiiiiii :D :D :D :D GO WATCH NOW!!!~!~!

Yeah.... Don't do that. Not just here. Don't ever do that. Anywhere. Ever. Seriously.

Anyways, I hope that this thread gets lots of posts and you all benefit from it. Happy reviewing!
Last edited by MeleeNewb on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
I used to wonder if I was crazy, but all that uncertainty drove me insane.
MeleeNewb

Re: Anime/Manga Review Thread

Postby Moozze » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:09 am

Sasuke is a ****, but that doesn't really matter, lol.

I really like Naruto because of its characters, they really grow on you. What I don't like is all the fillers ofcourse, nothing new. Sometimes things should go a little faster too. But the likes of Shikamaru, Kiba, Kakashi and ofcourse Naruto himself make me want to watch Naruto even through boring filler arcs. If I wouldn't like the characters this much I probably wouldn't be watching this. I also like the fact that every ninja has their own 'powers' or unique use of chakra, totally new techniques can suddenly surprise you in a new episode.

Sound: 7/10
Story: 8/10
Progression: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Is that too short?
Annoying.
Moozze

Postby MeleeNewb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:37 am

Moozze wrote:Sasuke is a ., but that doesn't really matter, lol.

I really like Naruto because of its characters, they really grow on you. What I don't like is all the fillers ofcourse, nothing new. Sometimes things should go a little faster too. But the likes of Shikamaru, Kiba, Kakashi and ofcourse Naruto himself make me want to watch Naruto even through boring filler arcs. If I wouldn't like the characters this much I probably wouldn't be watching this. I also like the fact that every ninja has their own 'powers' or unique use of chakra, totally new techniques can suddenly surprise you in a new episode.

Is that too short?

It's not too short at all! The one I wrote was a little longer, but so long as you get across what you want to say, the length doesn't really matter. Just something to remember, reviews are often being read by people who don't know the series yet (this doesn't really apply to Naruto, but for other series it might), so talking about characters or using series specific terms like '"chakra" without descriptions of some kind might be a little bit confusing. Something that might help is to imagine that you've never heard of the series before and reread your review. Also, I notice you used the format from the example. That's absolutely fine, however don't feel confined to it if you feel like doing something else.

Thanks for posting, and hope to see some more of your reviews.
I used to wonder if I was crazy, but all that uncertainty drove me insane.
MeleeNewb

Postby Moozze » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:57 am

MeleeNewb wrote:
Moozze wrote:Sasuke is a ., but that doesn't really matter, lol.

Is that too short?

It's not too short at all! The one I wrote was a little longer, but so long as you get across what you want to say, the length doesn't really matter. Just something to remember, reviews are often being read by people who don't know the series yet (this doesn't really apply to Naruto, but for other series it might), so talking about characters or using series specific terms like '"chakra" without descriptions of some kind might be a little bit confusing. Something that might help is to imagine that you've never heard of the series before and reread your review. Also, I notice you used the format from the example. That's absolutely fine, however don't feel confined to it if you feel like doing something else.

Thanks for posting, and hope to see some more of your reviews.

Then let me add this to my review:

The shinobi I named are awesome and chakra is ninja power :D
Annoying.
Moozze

Postby GunCastor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:23 pm

It's kinda hard to imagine that people who are in to anime and don't know at least a few things about Naruto, unless they dislike shonen anime or Shonen Jump anyways. This show has been known to catch the interest of quite a few people though. My first impression was "He's a ninja...and he's wearing orange...?!" I'm usually not as picky with English voice-acting as most other anime fans but the dub is pretty bad and the main character, Naruto, can come off as extremely annoying. I cringe when I hear him say "Believe it!" sometimes. I recommend watching in Japanese with subtitles or the manga is good too. The manga had a few things censored when it was brought over as well, like how the drunken fist thing was changed to potion punch.

The strongest aspect of the show, as mentioned before, are the characters. All the fans can at least find a few characters that they will like, even if they find the main character(s) annoying. It has been said in many places that Naruto is a very character-drive anime/manga. My favorite story arc so far is the Chuunin Exam arc, where a lot of new characters are introduced and they compete in 3 different tournaments for a higher tank. Noticed a pattern? It's really strongly relying on the characters of the show. It's not a bad thing when they are done so well. The action and clashing of different powers aren't bad either, some of the fights are quite creative in fact.

The weakpoints of the anime include the large amount of fillers but they can be skipped, if you're watching it on the internet anyways. After the fillers, you enter the Shippuden season. Yes, it's part of the title now because it takes place after a time-skip where the main character goes off to train. At this point, Shonen Jump has realized how popular this anime is. Watch a few episodes and you'll see how they repeat things and stall to elongate each episode. Watching a large amount of sand chase someone around can be entertaining for so long, ya know? At least the manga doesn't do this.

Overall, this is a good series for fans of Shonen anime and/or Shonen Jump. It has that main character starting off with nothing but succeeds through hardwork and friendship thing that's popular with Shonen Jump. It has a good interesting story and world but even better characters. I can see why people would dislike the orange-clad main character though some may find it endearing. I would recommend that all anime-fans should give it a chance at least, there has to be some reason that this thign is so popular, right?
GunCastor

Postby Moozze » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Watching in english is a no-go anyways, english subs and japanese language!
Annoying.
Moozze

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy